Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanual757

If the cast members can do, then the guests should be able to handle it as well. 7 states are mandating masks and the pilots union is pressing the FAA to mandate masks on planes. The mask thing is gaining traction. Children adapt better then adults to change. Remember that this is for others safety not the mask wearers safety.

Airlines are already allowing crews to wear masks (American, Delta, United are wearing masks)

Bill in Atlanta

Such a confusing time when media outlets contradict their own stories on the same day 🙃 Hopefully Disney & FL officials are able to sift through the noise and rely on good info.

ZZ9M4UH.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Airlines are already allowing crews to wear masks (American, Delta, United are wearing masks)
I think he’s referring to the passengers. The flight attendant‘s union wants the FAA to mandate masks for everyone on a plane for the safety of the flight attendants. It makes sense in a confined space like that even though it will be pretty uncomfortable for longer flights. I also don’t think that’s a permanent change. Just while we are in the heat of this.

natatomic

Here’s what scares me. I have seen people angrily call out others for not wearing masks or for getting too close. I have seen people angrily protest that they don’t need to wear a mask and that their freedoms are being trampled. If masks are just “suggested,” people from the first group will wear them and people from the second group won’t. Do we really think that these two groups are going to coexist in the park all day peacefully? I just can’t imagine these two groups getting along at all.
but okay, maybe Disney will *require* face masks. But Osceola county already does, and inside Target, I see people take them off constantly - including employees! And this is in air conditioning! Do we honestly think a friendship boat captain - on those HOT boats - isn’t going to slide their mask down for a few minutes on their trip? Do we honestly think the CM standing out in the sun at a ride entrance isn’t going to need to take it off for a second to breathe? Same with guests. I would allow them that grace, but judging by my Facebook feed and a little bit of this forum, I think plenty more people are going to take it upon themselves to turn others in for those few seconds, all in the name of the “greater good.”
I don’t know, maybe it won’t be so bad. I just imagine the parks being a place where people are constantly snitching on others, and it’s going to lower morale of both CMs and guests alike, and I just think it’s not going to be pretty.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here’s what scares me. I have seen people angrily call out others for not wearing masks or for getting too close. I have seen people angrily protest that they don’t need to wear a mask and that their freedoms are being trampled. If masks are just “suggested,” people from the first group will wear them and people from the second group won’t. Do we really think that these two groups are going to be in the park all day peacefully? I just can’t imagine these two groups getting along at all.
but okay, maybe Disney will *require* face masks. But Osceola county already does, and inside Target, I see people take them off - including employees! And this is in air conditioning! Do we honestly think a friendship boat captain - on those HOT boats - isn’t going to slide their mask down for a few minutes on their trip? Do we honestly think the CM standing out in the sun at a ride entrance isn’t going to need to take it off for a second to breathe? Same with guests. I would allow them that grace, but judging by my Facebook feed and a little bit of this forum, I think plenty more people are going to take it upon themselves to turn others in for those few seconds, all in the name of the greater good.
I don’t know, maybe it won’t be so bad. I just imagine the parks being a place where people are constantly snitching on others, and it’s going to lower morale of both CMs and guests alike, and I just think it’s not going to be pretty.
I agree it would not be pretty. I don’t even think most people understand why masks are suggested or recommended.

Here is the logic on masks...at least I think this is correct but things change so fast. People are being asked to physical distance from others right now (the 6 foot rule). At times when physical distancing is not possible or practical like in a grocery store or on a bus they want you to wear a mask so that when you do come within 6 feet of someone you don’t infect them. In theory if you can stay at least 6 feet apart the mask isn’t needed. Like in phase 1 when restaurants open but tables are spaced 6 feet apart you aren‘t expected to wear a mask while sitting at a table. The point of all of this is it should be ok to take your mask down or off temporarily (even in places where they are required) but people should just do it when they are 6 feet away from others.

Seanual757

I think he’s referring to the passengers. The flight attendant‘s union wants the FAA to mandate masks for everyone on a plane for the safety of the flight attendants. It makes sense in a confined space like that even though it will be pretty uncomfortable for longer flights. I also don’t think that’s a permanent change. Just while we are in the heat of this.

Got it

Jetblue is going to require all passengers to wear masks and United is going to as well....

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Here’s what scares me. I have seen people angrily call out others for not wearing masks or for getting too close. I have seen people angrily protest that they don’t need to wear a mask and that their freedoms are being trampled. If masks are just “suggested,” people from the first group will wear them and people from the second group won’t. Do we really think that these two groups are going to be in the park all day peacefully? I just can’t imagine these two groups getting along at all.
but okay, maybe Disney will *require* face masks. But Osceola county already does, and inside Target, I see people take them off - including employees! And this is in air conditioning! Do we honestly think a friendship boat captain - on those HOT boats - isn’t going to slide their mask down for a few minutes on their trip? Do we honestly think the CM standing out in the sun at a ride entrance isn’t going to need to take it off for a second to breathe? Same with guests. I would allow them that grace, but judging by my Facebook feed and a little bit of this forum, I think plenty more people are going to take it upon themselves to turn others in for those few seconds, all in the name of the greater good.
Here's what I don't get --- how do these cheap homemade style masks (same type Disney is now selling) prevent the virus from escaping the mask, but it can't prevent the virus from getting inside the mask? It's the same material on both sides? Honestly just asking as I haven't seen anything explaining how it works.

monykalyn

Hubby and I watch that whenever it's on...and we also own it, and he plays the soundtrack on the regular in his truck. :) They were my first official concert...then it was Huey Lewis and the News, the ones mentioned above, NKOTB and Bone, Thugs & Harmony (brought my sister to those), many lesser-known local bands, and I know I'm missing a few...
I think our hubs are music brothers when it comes to Grease, he does the same lol. We saw Huey Lewis years ago at a Memorial Day festival in Little Rock (when we lived there)- one of those lawn concert things. Took the kids who loved it. Youngest was around 2- his first concert :). He danced nonstop for two hours. When the band quit so did he- slept through the encore and all night. He was entertaining the people around us. HL did put on a good show.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's what I don't get --- how do these cheap homemade style masks (same type Disney is now selling) prevent the virus from escaping the mask, but it can't prevent the virus from getting inside the mask? It's the same material on both sides?
It doesn’t stop it either way. It stops the force of expelled air from a cough or sneeze from spreading the virus further.

Seanual757

Tuesday should be the day at the earnings call since the task force recommended allowing the parks to make that decision when they want to open.

"On Wednesday, the task force recommended that it should be up to each park in Florida to make that decision:
"Theme parks and other venues of that magnitude shall each develop their own specific and unique set of guidelines following the CDC recommendations and using best practices that will protect the life, health and safety of their employees and guests," said task force Co-Chairman Chuck Whittall, president of Unicorp, from a a draft statement.
"They will be permitted to open at their own discretion with their internally determined level of safe capacities throughout the various phases."

Thomas Mazloum, senior vice president of Walt Disney World Resorts and Transportation Operations, is a member of the task force."

mmascari

The point of all of this is it should be ok to take your mask down or off temporarily (even in places where they are required) but people should just do it when they are 6 feet away from others.

I think you have the reasons right, but there's a problem with "off temporarily". Likewise, other comments about removing between stores, or other activities. Using a mask correctly takes some commitment to process, and most people do it wrong.

From the Shop Disney product listing, but it matches CDC and other guidelines too:
How to Remove a Non-Medical Face Mask:

• Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with a minimum 60% alcohol base
  • Remove the face mask by removing the loops from your ears
Avoid touching the front of the face mask when removing it

It can be placed in a plastic bag temporarily if you are not at home

• If you plan to reuse the face mask, wash it before wearing it again
Machine wash cold, gentle cycle, do not bleach, tumble dry low, do not iron, do not dry clean

If throwing out the face mask, place it into a garbage bin or plastic bag

• Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with a minimum 60% alcohol base

After you take a clean mask, put it on and start to use it, you should consider the outside of it contaminated. You do not want to touch the outside at all if possible. After touching, you want to immediately clean your hands before you touch anything else.

It's basically:
  1. Wash hands
  2. Remove and isolate. Wash before use again to remove from isolation
  3. Wash hands

When temporarily removing it, most people probably breaks all three of those. Maybe some are super careful and do 1 and 3, but while it was off how did the inside stay clean? Did the outside rub up against something and then the insides rubbed the same thing and become contaminated? If you take it off to eat, you're supposed to put it in a dirty bag and use a fresh one afterwards. The more it's used incorrectly, the larger the chance becomes that you're just collecting contaminants, moving them to the inside, and then holding them directly over your mouth and nose for an extended period.

I have no idea how a WDW trip works following those steps.

For example, say an 8 hour park day.
  • Mask for 2 hours
  • Remove to eat, put in dirty bag.
  • Mask for 2 hours
  • Mask for 2 hours
  • Mask for 2 hours
  • Back in the hotel room, wash.
One person here needs 4 masks for the day (conveniently, the number that come in the Shop Disney order all the same size). Plus some discipline planning to get that far, having snack after an hour changes the day.

Back at the hotel room, there's no washing machine. You're cleaning a pile of contaminated masks by hand, make sure to wash your hands carefully and to not spread them around while still dirty.

I already hate wearing the thing, but when I put it on, I leave it on without touching it until I'm back at the washing machine.

John park hopper

I would be concerned for my family safety if a violent altercation occurred at Disney Springs. There is no security checkpoint and no metal detectors. There are armed individuals that carry going out in public.
If you look up the statistics on concealed weapons permit holders the violation rate for concealed weapons holders is 2.4 per 100,000 ---I really don't think you have to worry about a lawfully permitted armed citizen.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Last edited:

Incomudro

If the cast members can do, then the guests should be able to handle it as well. 7 states are mandating masks and the pilots union is pressing the FAA to mandate masks on planes. The mask thing is gaining traction. Children adapt better then adults to change. Remember that this is for others safety not the mask wearers safety.

Yeah, ok...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes, but a face covering also ensures that a sneeze or cough doesn't catch anyone off guard. We also expel droplets when we speak.
Aside from being caught off guard, the masks seem to be no more affective than a tissue. Sneezing into a mask would contaminate it and from the material I've seen, I'd bet dollars to donuts that after enough breathing or coughing , the germs would eventually get pushed through if they didn't escape on the initial cough/sneeze to begin with. A tissue could be discarded. Again, just trying to understand the importance of a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom