Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Aside from being caught off guard, the masks seem to be no more affective than a tissue. Sneezing into a mask would contaminate it and from the material I've seen, I'd bet dollars to donuts that after enough breathing or coughing , the germs would eventually get pushed through. A tissue could be discarded. Again, just trying to understand the importance of a mask.
You're supposed to change them once they become moist/damp. The whole point is to keep your germs to yourself, and the mask does a better job of that than a tissue does because it also keeps accidental spittle from speaking from escaping as well as containing sneezes and coughs.

Incomudro

As soon as I leave the air conditioned hotel room at WDW in July or August that mask will be damp. Even without sweating what about water rides? Those misting fans they have in a few places? What about pools? I’ll say it again, if masks are required they should just wait until the fall to open. No way that works in the summer.
And sweat.
And eating and drinking. (I know I've said this stuff before)
Masks are not worn all day long in hot and humid outdoor conditions anywhere that I can think of.
They are put on for performing a job, and then removed.
Even Dr's. and nurses rarely wear them all day long, or at least they didn't up until now.
And even now, they are worn indoors where the climate is controlled.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
As soon as I leave the air conditioned hotel room at WDW in July or August that mask will be damp. Even without sweating what about water rides? Those misting fans they have in a few places? What about pools? I’ll say it again, if masks are required they should just wait until the fall to open. No way that works in the summer.
And trying to get a young child to wear one and keep it on all day in the heat? That's a big fat negative, Ghost Rider.

I've watched families at Disney try and get their young kid to wear a hat for 10 seconds and get a photo and it rarely works. Good luck trying to get them to keep a mask over their face and ears in 95-degree heat. We'll see and hear screaming kids everywhere.

Incomudro

Here's what I don't get --- how do these cheap homemade style masks (same type Disney is now selling) prevent the virus from escaping the mask, but it can't prevent the virus from getting inside the mask? It's the same material on both sides? Honestly just asking as I haven't seen anything explaining how it works.

They trap or block a good portion of what would be expelled if one sneezed or coughed.
Like just about any protective measure, they are about reduction - not absolute stopping.
Let's not forget the visual as well, they make people feel safer and/or make people feel that safety measures are being taken howeve effective those measures may or may not be.

John park hopper

And trying to get a young child to wear one and keep it on all day in the heat? That's a big fat negative, Ghost Rider.

I've watched families at Disney try and get their young kid to wear a hat for 10 seconds and get a photo and it rarely works. Good luck trying to get them to keep a mask over their face and ears in 95-degree heat. We'll see and hear screaming kids everywhere.
WDW rarely enforces its own rules it will be interesting to see if they enforce the --you must wear a mask. I can see people start off wearing a mask but when it gets wet and smelly they will take them off like I said be interesting how Disney handles it.

Incomudro

I'm laughing just thinking about it.
Kid's sweaty, and crying - starts reaching for the mask an begins pulling it off...
Parent says "Leave it on!!!"
Kid succeeds in removing the mask where it now falls to the ground and gets trampled on.

Incomudro

Aside from being caught off guard, the masks seem to be no more affective than a tissue. Sneezing into a mask would contaminate it and from the material I've seen, I'd bet dollars to donuts that after enough breathing or coughing , the germs would eventually get pushed through if they didn't escape on the initial cough/sneeze to begin with. A tissue could be discarded. Again, just trying to understand the importance of a mask.

What you're saying is probably mostly correct in reality.
At least as far as the public's use of masks and the types of masks they wear in public places goes.

DisneyDebRob

It doesn’t stop it either way. It stops the force of expelled air from a cough or sneeze from spreading the virus further.
Masks should be mandatory in my opinion until we all know it’s safe to be without. I don’t want to wear one like every person in the world doesn’t either. It’s important and can save a life.
B73052EC-5B32-453E-9042-F4FDBE24199F.jpeg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
They trap or block a good portion of what would be expelled if one sneezed or coughed.
Like just about any protective measure, they are about reduction - not absolute stopping.
Let's not forget the visual as well, they make people feel safer and/or make people feel that safety measures are being taken howeve effective those measures may or may not be.
I agree that the "theatre" of safety would be the main reason.

Lilofan

Kid's sweaty, and crying - starts reaching for the mask an begins pulling it off...
Kid succeeds in removing the mask where it now falls to the ground and gets trampled on.
In Hong Kong people wore masks pre and current Corona. They must have some magic to wear them during their brutal summers.

DisneyDebRob

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I thought kids 2 and under should NOT wear a mask at any cost and kids 12 and under are not required too. That’s a lot of kids that people don’t have to worry about.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It will be an attraction in and of itself to grab a fresh beer, find a comfy place to sit and watch as parents meltdown and scream at their kids doing EXACTLY what you described.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If a person were to sneeze into a handkerchief or napkin it would prevent expelled air, correct?
Yes, the face covering is to ensure people do that. We tried the whole, everyone just wash your hands and cough into your elbow solution and a million confirmed cases later we realized people aren‘t very effective at actually doing that ;). I don’t see masks being practical at all at WDW. I also don’t see how true physical distancing is possible either. That’s why I think they should wait until phase 3 where that’s not required anymore. Easy solution for the mouse house.
Masks should be mandatory in my opinion until we all know it’s safe to be without. I don’t want to wear one like every person in the world doesn’t either. It’s important and can save a life. View attachment 467435
I’m definitely “borrowing“ that one. ;)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Please correct me if I’m wrong but I thought kids 2 and under should NOT wear a mask at any cost and kids 12 and under are not required too. That’s a lot of kids that people don’t have to worry about.
Regardless of that being true or not, the "hall monitor" parents will force their kid to do it and also report anybody who isn't forcing their child to do the same. At least until they get back to their room and crack open that fancy box of Zinfandel.

cmwade77

What our family would be doing is going into the theme park restrooms several times a day and washing the masks under cold water and soap to rinse the sweat and germs that has accumulated in the masks wearing them in the hot Florida summer. Rinse, ring them out, wear, sweat, rinse, ring them out, wear, sweat, repeat several times a day.
This isn't a bad idea and might help keep you cool.

TrojanUSC

Yes, the face covering is to ensure people do that. We tried the whole, everyone just wash your hands and cough into your elbow solution and a million confirmed cases later we realized people aren‘t very effective at actually doing that ;). I don’t see masks being practical at all at WDW. I also don’t see how true physical distancing is possible either. That’s why I think they should wait until phase 3 where that’s not required anymore. Easy solution for the mouse house.

I’m definitely “borrowing“ that one. ;)

It's also because the droplets are so small that they've found even just breathing can expel them. It's one of the primary reasons for so much asymptomatic transfer. Nobody is breathing into a napkin, so the mask helps with that.

DisneyCane

I think he’s referring to the passengers. The flight attendant‘s union wants the FAA to mandate masks for everyone on a plane for the safety of the flight attendants. It makes sense in a confined space like that even though it will be pretty uncomfortable for longer flights. I also don’t think that’s a permanent change. Just while we are in the heat of this.
It doesn't make that much sense once the passengers are seated. The airflow on an aircraft is predominantly ceiling to floor and the air is changed out very frequently. Surfaces are a much bigger issue with disease spread on aircraft than airborne.

Sitting next to someone who is infected is different because of the proximity but passenger to flight attendant is not going to be a high risk, especially since they aren't doing cabin service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom