Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Face coverings of any kind aren't about keeping the virus out. They're about keeping your own germs in...so that if you are asymptomatic, you don't accidentally infect anyone.

ETA: I know they're not 100% effective, but they stop droplets, which is the biggest concern.
The droplets rebuttal is a bit silly, IMO. If droplets are as dangerous as people (not saying you specifically) claim, then they would have advised us to start wearing masks decades ago.

And please know that I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just feel that a cloth mask can't be that affective when a person sneezes at 70 mph. More than enough germs are gonna break right through that fabric to cause a problem.

I'm taking about the cheap fabric masks I see with random college or NFL team logos on them. Not the actual medical grade masks. If those cheap masks did anything at all, I'm sure we would see a/c filters with Notre Dame or NY Yankee logos on them. 3M would be all over it.

monykalyn

Face coverings of any kind aren't about keeping the virus out. They're about keeping your own germs in...so that if you are asymptomatic, you don't accidentally infect anyone.

ETA: I know they're not 100% effective, but they stop droplets, which is the biggest concern.
But they don’t really stop the contamination if that’s what you are getting at. The mask is the soaked, contaminated and leaking through outside. Are there going to be mandatory “safety” videos on how to properly take the mask off and dispose of it? Now it’s a biohazard. People can’t get glove use and hand washing correct.

I get people want to feel “safe” and want masks to be that catch all for the “safe” part. I just think the actual hour upon hour actual physical wearing and logistics are far more complicated than the “mask 100% everyone all the time” crowd will acknowledge. I also think it’s too soon to require mandatory masks as more and more evidence comes out this virus has been here longer and more spread than first thought. It’s not done on evidence based study but a “can’t hurt” and then encouraging social shaming for not towing the party line? Um no.

Patcheslee

I don't disagree, but I have never tried on shirts before and i would always wash em before I wear them. Maybe I am just strange that way. (granted, the WDW winbreaker I bought last year in the Swan giftshop, I actually tried out if it fits)
Think of how few character costumes may be sold because most have kids try them on first.

MickeyLuv'r

Surely, it is time to drop the debate over how well masks work or don't work. Surely anyone who cares to know more about the topic can go find a good resource on the subject. Take your pick: every government webpage at every level of government offers information. If that doesn't suffice, pick any major business, pretty much all of them offer links to informative resources on the topic.

zengoth

Surely, it is time to drop the debate over how well masks work or don't work. Surely anyone who cares to know more about the topic can go find a good resource on the subject. Take your pick: every government webpage at every level of government offers information. If that doesn't suffice, pick any major business, pretty much all of them offer links to informative resources on the topic.
Debate is more about WDW's ultimate decision.
If there's no mandatory mask, some people won't go
If there is mandatory mask, some people won't go.
The company knows they will alienate a certain percentage no matter what.
There's a poll on these forums - last time i looked, it was 50%/50%.

ImperfectPixie

But they don’t really stop the contamination if that’s what you are getting at. The mask is the soaked, contaminated and leaking through outside. Are there going to be mandatory “safety” videos on how to properly take the mask off and dispose of it? Now it’s a biohazard. People can’t get glove use and hand washing correct.

I get people want to feel “safe” and want masks to be that catch all for the “safe” part. I just think the actual hour upon hour actual physical wearing and logistics are far more complicated than the “mask 100% everyone all the time” crowd will acknowledge. I also think it’s too soon to require mandatory masks as more and more evidence comes out this virus has been here longer and more spread than first thought. It’s not done on evidence based study but a “can’t hurt” and then encouraging social shaming for not towing the party line? Um no.
The point is that if I assume I'm infected, I wear a mask to protect everyone else. My handling of the mask is irrelevant, because if I'm infected, the mask is contaminated from the moment I touch it...but it keeps my germs closer to me than not wearing one does. If everyone wears masks, everyone is safer. Not a 100% guarantee, but virtually nothing in life is.

zengoth

True .. there will be lot's off potential sales losses for disney for snacks and souvenirs, even before Covid-19 .. I never endulged in Snacks like popcorn(etc), if I couldn't wash my hands beforehand (pun). No more 'precuddles' for plush toys, maybe a "demo" unit and then a wrapped one for purchase.. like perfume testers ? .. all details that need to be figured out.
Could convert some of the bigger stores to the old "service merchandise" model - where there's just one of everything and when you pay a CM fetches you a fresh one already disinfected, sanitized, boxed and bagged.

Chi84

Premium Member
They don’t understand that the face-covering is for everyone else and not them. Calling a face-covering a mask is misleading, people need to cover their faces to keep their germs from spreading. Having everyone wear masks is more effective than hand washing for limiting virus transmission.
It feels like I’ve read a library’s worth of articles on hand washing and face masks and I don’t recall a single one that said wearing masks is more effective than hand washing for limiting virus transmission. Do you have a source that supports that statement?

hopemax

It feels like I’ve read a library’s worth of articles on hand washing and face masks and I don’t recall a single one that said wearing masks is more effective than hand washing for limiting virus transmission. Do you have a source that supports that statement?
Of course, hand washing is more effective...in the case of touching a surface that has virus particles on it. But that does not cover all virus spread cases. One of which is people, in an enclosed room simply talking, laughing, singing etc. The virus particles get spit out of people's mouths, land on your face or your hands and then if it didn't hit your eyes, or nose already, then you touch your face, spread them around. You can't be washing your hands 100% of the time when someone is speaking to you. And people don't always have the option to wash their hands in between speaking with one person and then speaking with someone else.

Rescue Ranger

After months of trying to get those magic bands upgraded a few months back, and it finally working, today Disney refunded me for them :(

Not really shocked though we are rescheduled for August 29th so I'm surprised they cancelled them while still holding a reservation. Oh well, wait and see what happens in the coming months....

Chi84

Premium Member
Of course, hand washing is more effective...in the case of touching a surface that has virus particles on it. But that does not cover all virus spread cases. One of which is people, in an enclosed room simply talking, laughing, singing etc. The virus particles get spit out of people's mouths, land on your face or your hands and then if it didn't hit your eyes, or nose already, then you touch your face, spread them around. You can't be washing your hands 100% of the time when someone is speaking to you. And people don't always have the option to wash their hands in between speaking with one person and then speaking with someone else.
Well, I was just wondering what support there is for the statement that wearing face masks is more effective than hand washing for limiting virus transmission. I know that some people have this opinion and think it makes sense. But that isn’t what the CDC or WHO are saying, and I was just curious as to whether there are expert opinions to support it.

icc2515

I don't think anybody will find a reliable source that states the mask wearing is more important than hand washing for the person wearing the mask and trying to prevent catching Covid-19. This article from ABC 4 oddly enough titled hand washing better than masks states the following.

Dr. Gary Cianci , M.D. with Roper St. Francis, says the general population typically turns to medical masks during large outbreaks of influenza, or most recently, the coronavirus.

He emphasizes that masks are most effective in helping prevent an airborne illness from spreading, rather than for protection.

“Medical masks do seem to help prevent the spread of viruses, but they don't do it necessarily in the way we expect them to,” explained Dr. Cianci. “They do several things. One is, the person who is wearing the mask, if they have the illness, that's the most effective way to prevent the spread.”

Once again I will state that the mask protects the other person.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't think anybody will find a reliable source that states the mask wearing is more important than hand washing for the person wearing the mask and trying to prevent catching Covid-19. This article from ABC 4 oddly enough titled hand washing better than masks states the following.

Dr. Gary Cianci , M.D. with Roper St. Francis, says the general population typically turns to medical masks during large outbreaks of influenza, or most recently, the coronavirus.

He emphasizes that masks are most effective in helping prevent an airborne illness from spreading, rather than for protection.

“Medical masks do seem to help prevent the spread of viruses, but they don't do it necessarily in the way we expect them to,” explained Dr. Cianci. “They do several things. One is, the person who is wearing the mask, if they have the illness, that's the most effective way to prevent the spread.”

Once again I will state that the mask protects the other person.
Thanks. I don’t think it’s odd that the title of the article is that hand washing is better than masks. From what I’ve read, that’s the prevailing opinion. It could be because people are not taking the necessary precautions to make mask wearing effective, or it could be that masks may lead people to touch their faces more often or be less conscious of social distancing. I don’t disagree that, if done correctly, wearing masks can be effective in helping to curtail the spread. I just don’t think it’s more effective than hand washing.

ImperfectPixie

Thanks. I don’t think it’s odd that the title of the article is that hand washing is better than masks. From what I’ve read, that’s the prevailing opinion. It could be because people are not taking the necessary precautions to make mask wearing effective, or it could be that masks may lead people to touch their faces more often or be less conscious of social distancing. I don’t disagree that, if done correctly, wearing masks can be effective in helping to curtail the spread. I just don’t think it’s more effective than hand washing.
The media outlets should be pushing for both...especially since there are states itching to open up while the virus is still actively spreading during stay-at-home advisories.

ImperfectPixie

Well that’s certainly not the case in Illinois. We may never re-open.
Our governor here in MA really had be super-worried that he was going to re-open schools next week by the way he was talking last week. We don't even have declining deaths and new cases yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom