Coranavirus Disneyland General Discussion

Tamandua

I used to eat a lot more fast food than I do now, mainly because the places I go are so poorly staffed. I tried going to El Pollo Loco again yesterday only to find the doors once again locked. I looked up how much longer these unemployment benefits are scheduled to last and I guess we can expect a couple more months of this in California before the remaining holdouts are forced back into the job market. If they once again extend the unemployment benefits in the name of some covid variant, I think a lot more businesses will disappear for good. I would also expect some lasting impacts on theme parks. Even if the parks don't end up closing again, temporary cuts will likely become permanent cuts.

truecoat

I used to eat a lot more fast food than I do now, mainly because the places I go are so poorly staffed. I tried going to El Pollo Loco again yesterday only to find the doors once again locked. I looked up how much longer these unemployment benefits are scheduled to last and I guess we can expect a couple more months of this in California before the remaining holdouts are forced back into the job market. If they once again extend the unemployment benefits in the name of some covid variant, I think a lot more businesses will disappear for good. I would also expect some lasting impacts on theme parks. Even if the parks don't end up closing again, temporary cuts will likely become permanent cuts.

You have to remember there are many reasons places of business are short workers and economic benefits ending won't solve it.

1. Lots of people died during the pandemic, so can't work anymore.
  2. Lots of people have permanent health problems from Long Covid, so can't work anymore.
  3. Lots of people have parents with Long Covid who now require a caretaker, so can't work anymore.
  4. Lots of people have parents that died of Covid, inherited unspent retirement funds or even a house, so don't need to work anymore.
  5. Lots of people were depending on Grandma and Grandpa to watch their own grandkids for free, but grandparents died, so can't work without someone to watch the kids.
  6. Lots of daycares are still closed or understaffed or otherwise not affordable/available, so can't work without someone to watch the kids.
  7. Lots of kids are still too young to get vaccinated, so their parents don't want to send them back to regular school just yet, so can't work when someone needs to be home with the kids during online-school.
  8. And actually, school just let out for the summer, so that's even more reason for somebody to need to be home to watch the kids right now.
  9. Lots of people lost their homes during the pandemic, despite rent memorandums and such, and obviously it's difficult to get and hold a job while homeless, so all those people aren't working anymore.
  10. Lots of people had time during the pandemic to dip into creative pursuits and discovered they can make decent money at it, so they aren't working regular jobs anymore.
  11. Lots of people retired early so they could enjoy whatever time they have left, so aren't working.
  12. Lots of people got deported over the last however-many years, so aren't working here.
  13. Lots of people who had already immigrated here got scared off during all the chaos of the last however-many years and moved their family somewhere safer, so aren't working here.
  14. Lots of people who wanted to immigrate legally couldn't because of changes to the laws in the last however-many years, so they aren't working here.
  15. Lots of people who wanted to immigrate any way they could got scared off by all the chaos of the last however-many years, so decided to go elsewhere, and aren't working here.
  16. Lots of people who would be working age now were never born because most Millennials were raised with "don't have kids you can't afford" and then were never paid enough to be able to afford kids, so all those non-existent people aren't working.

Parteecia

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...e-is-workers-crisis-as-covid-economy-recovers

"Despite the boost in income, these payments don’t appear to be deterring low-wage workers from applying to jobs. Data show those benefiting the most from unemployment insurance are returning to work more than anyone else. Shierholz said that over the last two months, 75% of the jobs added nationwide were in leisure and hospitality, by far the lowest-wage sector."

Also
https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/working-papers/2021/13/

Tamandua

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...e-is-workers-crisis-as-covid-economy-recovers

"Despite the boost in income, these payments don’t appear to be deterring low-wage workers from applying to jobs. Data show those benefiting the most from unemployment insurance are returning to work more than anyone else. Shierholz said that over the last two months, 75% of the jobs added nationwide were in leisure and hospitality, by far the lowest-wage sector."

Also
https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/working-papers/2021/13/
Of course they're returning to work more than anyone else. Most other people never stopped working.

SoCalDisneyLover

Meanwhile, in Florida.

Florida sees 48 percent jump in weekly coronavirus infections as delta variant spreads

In the past two weeks the number of COVID-19 cases reported has nearly doubled.

The coronavirus is quickly rising again in Florida.

There were 23,697 new COVID-19 infections in Florida over the past seven-day period from July 2 to July 8, according to the weekly report released Friday by the Florida Department of Health. That’s an average of nearly 3,400 cases a day.

It’s also a 48 percent rise in COVID-19 infections — or 7,719 more infections — from the previous seven-day period from June 25 to July 1.

It’s the second consecutive jump in weekly coronavirus cases reported in Florida. In the past two weeks the number of weekly COVID-19 cases have nearly doubled from just under 12,000 cases reported from June 18 to June 24.

mickEblu

Meanwhile, in Florida.

Florida sees 48 percent jump in weekly coronavirus infections as delta variant spreads

In the past two weeks the number of COVID-19 cases reported has nearly doubled.

The coronavirus is quickly rising again in Florida.

There were 23,697 new COVID-19 infections in Florida over the past seven-day period from July 2 to July 8, according to the weekly report released Friday by the Florida Department of Health. That’s an average of nearly 3,400 cases a day.

It’s also a 48 percent rise in COVID-19 infections — or 7,719 more infections — from the previous seven-day period from June 25 to July 1.

It’s the second consecutive jump in weekly coronavirus cases reported in Florida. In the past two weeks the number of weekly COVID-19 cases have nearly doubled from just under 12,000 cases reported from June 18 to June 24.

So what? Are people dying? Are hospitals inundated?

Wendy Pleakley

Reporting news isn't fear mongering.

In any case, the article notes that:

Hospitalization rates increased by 27 percent — or 500 more weekly admissions — in the past week according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

It’s unlikely that Florida will see the kind of surge that it did in June 2020 or January, she said. Weekly cases are still below levels seen as recently as May 15 and hospitalizations are still below levels seen in the beginning of June.

Nothing we haven't already seen in general. Infections and hospitalizations increase amongst the unvaccinated, but everyone else is relatively safe. Get vaccinated people, there isn't sufficient herd immunity, you need to protect yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom