CoP is going BYE BYE acording to Jim Hill......

Mickeyrulz

Or.. put the Flying Saucers in the for-5-years-unused Skyway building!! They could fit iit if they wanted.

Sadly Timekeeper is pretty much death sentenced, no question. COP has prolly got another year or two in it and then it'll be trash canned.

And in the future, the theaters will probably sit and collect dust for around a decade.

Expo_Seeker40

Maybe someone could get Eisner like seriously drunk, and then we could strap him to the outside of the carousel wall, and just let the carousel mechanisms constantly rotate with no audience inside, and have a contest for park guests to throw some food and drink at him and see him gradually turn bye, meanwhile "There's A Great Big Beauitful Tomorrow" "Now Is The Time" and some rap version of "It's A Small World" would blare in his ears. :hammer: :lol:

...Just A Thought :p

ScrapIron

About the saucers

joviacdan said:
Thanks for posting that Lee.

But oh no - I don't like the looks of that at all. Guess I shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions, but it just looks like it belong in Dinoland with all that other travelling carnival stuff.

All the following quotes are from "The E Ticket"/Spring 2003.

"The DL Flying Saucer Ride was opened in TL from Aug 6, 1961 to Aug 5, 1966 and has become a legend of the theme park experience."

"No previous amusement ride had used their breakthrough concepts and motive methods...and none would ever again."

"We had talked about a flying sauce ride at WED, and then a guy brought a small propeller-powered hovercraft to us. Walt asked me to have a look at it...but I could see nothing but danger in it."(Bob Gurr)

"'Arrow's concept of moving the motive force from out of the vehicle was a very novel idea.'(Bob Gurr) The approach intrigued Walt Disney, and he gave Joe Fowler the green light..."

"Walt would be along looking at how projects were working. He stayed very involved with projects that were unique and interesting, and that were experimental in nature. Bob Gurr remembers, 'Walt was always curious about everything... He's extremely interested in how this thing is going to work.He's Walt Disney, and he's seeing this test device, and he's trying to visualize what the attraction will be like, and what the public's response might be. This happened all the time.'"

The novelty draw of the Flying Saucer attraction was sensational, but the ride's operation performance wasn't good enough. ...it couldn't be supported operationally because adequate control equipment had not yet been invented."

We didn't know it was a classic when the attraction was running. The Flying Saucers became legendary long after it was gone, and nobody thought to save anything."(Bob Gurr)

So there was a TL attraction that was so tomorrow that it had to go. One could also argue, of course, about taking a 40+ year old ride concept and putting it in Tomorrowland. On the other hand, I once entered TL in DL via steam train, passing motor cars, while a band on stage was impersonating the Beatles...so...well, you have to work that one out for yourself.

BTW, anyone like me that's been waiting over a year for the next "E Ticket", I've been told that the next issue is at the printer.

And, finally, today's trivia question. Anyone care to take a guess as to what attraction was built on the space previously occupied by the Flying Saucers?

ScrapIron

KevinPage said:
Disney would keep ANY ride open if it had the ridership numbers, period. Everyone thinks there is some evil plot to get rid of this or that, for the sake of ing people off.

If you want to make the claim that Disney management nowadays ONLY cares about the $$$, then wouldn't they keep an existing ride open IF it had the ridership numbers? . It's simple economics. If you are cheap you are not going to spend $$$$ to replace a ride that is already popular.

That's true. So it's probably more likely that they just shut it down and don't replace it, or leave it empty for years. Subs at DL. Subs at WDW. Wonders of Life. DL's CoP/America Sings.

And those that think a show about progress should never change.... Anyone that doesn't understand the concept of irony-this is it.

And before anyone tries to lecture me about losing a favored attraction, save your energy. This is written by someone that will never, ever, ever, ever in any way be able to ride my beloved Adventure Through Inner Space.

Cheers.

ScrapIron

Mickeyrulz said:
In the space of the Flying Saucers some stage was built.

"According to Bob Gurr, the Flying Saucers was never considered a temporary ride, but there were a lot of new ideas being developed in the mid-sixties, including The Carrousel of Progress and Space Mountain attractions which share that space today." (The E Ticket/Spring 2003)

Nice try, but you still get a copy of our home game and a year's supply of Rice-a-Roni. Thanks for playing.

Cheers.

BeachClubVillas

General Grizz said:
This is absolutely unacceptable.

The D-Army will do its best to Save CoP, and we will do everything humanly possible to keep Walt's dream updated and ALIVE.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!

Sign me up Grizz! I am at your disposal, oh mighty leader. We must stop these people.

Don't listen to Jim Hill--he's very often wrong and likes to make up stories just to get attention.

And I still don't believe that the CoP will be leaving anytime soon. It's getting a huge much-needed rehab after Stitch's Great Escape opens--maybe that will help keep the attraction going for sure.

Tim G

dox said:
Jim Hill has an update today folks. Apparently CoP will continue to operate through at least 2006 and will be a central part of the DL Golden Celebration. However, it's days after that our numbered. Meanwhile, in preparationfor the anniversary celebrations, the attraction is being upgraded and spruced up.
That's what I stated before
With respect to Timekeeper, it will be closing permanent after the holidays and will be gutted in the spring/summer of 2005 to make way for the flying saucers.
We already got Tea cups, So we certainly DON'T need Flying saucers...

And they won't come...

I will look up some old photos of the old flying saucers... Walt idea or not... They're awfull.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Yesterland has some photos and information on The Flying Saucers. Don't they look fun? This is certainly the attraction the Magic Kingdom has been needing to boost attendance! :lol:

And I'm sure they could sell TONS of merchandise with this one.... :p

Lee

Adventurer
I can't get any of my people to confirm anything about the Saucers. I myself haven't even heard the rumor for a year or so until Jim brought it up today.

I don't see how they could be a reasonable addition to Tomorrowland unless they work out the issues that killed it the first time like low capacity and a ton of downtime.
For all intents and purposes, they ride was like a giant air-hockey table. It was made up of 18,000 individual valves, which were fed by huge air blowers. Riders just leaned into the direction they wanted to go, and drifted that way. I have a photo in a book of Walt testing the Saucers at Arrow's workshop. He seems to be having trouble getting it to work. Great photo.

Anyway, I defer to Corrus on this one. If he says it ain't happening, I'm going to agree.

Come on, guys. Put such ridiculous rumors to rest.

CoP and Timekeeper are both NOT going to close for good anytime soon!:mad:

And once again, IGNORE Jim Hill!

General Grizz

disneyphilip said:

We just can't think this anymore. .

disneyphilip said:
WILL YOU ALL KNOCK IT OFF?! Food Rocks WILL NOT be going away for good anytime in the future! :mad:

... DON'T LISTEN TO SUCH RIDICULOUS RUMORS, PLEASE!

Gregory

Grizz is right...

I, for one, really like Jim Hill... Just because he says something you don't like doesn't mean he's wrong...

I mean, he does have facts... 1) Its been a rumor, so its not like he just came up with is- Disney is known to replace old rides in favor of cheaper, more popular ones and 2) CoP and Timekeeper arn't in Burbams newest book.. thats enough proof right there...

I think Jim tells the truth at the time... is he always right? No. But, take a look at some old Disney advertisments... Does anybody remember when Disney was advertising Beastly Kingdom as Coming Soon? Even Disney doesn't have a crystal ball...

General Grizz

Gregory said:
Grizz is right...

I, for one, really like Jim Hill... Just because he says something you don't like doesn't mean he's wrong...

I mean, he does have facts... 1) Its been a rumor, so its not like he just came up with is- Disney is known to replace old rides in favor of cheaper, more popular ones and 2) CoP and Timekeeper arn't in Burbams newest book.. thats enough proof right there...

I think Jim tells the truth at the time... is he always right? No. But, take a look at some old Disney advertisments... Does anybody remember when Disney was advertising Beastly Kingdom as Coming Soon? Even Disney doesn't have a crystal ball...
Well, we got Corrus here. And the fact that Disney has wanted to get ride of this ride since 1994...

dxwwf3

disneyphilip said:

You could end up being right on this one, but this is all that I heard right before Alien Encounter closed. I was even told my a CM over at City Hall during my July visit that those rumors were dead. And then it closed down in October. So I am now convinced that you can no longer brush repeated rumors away. If you hear it from numerous sources, then you better be ready for the worst. And while Jim Hill and Screamscape sometimes are wrong about certain things, they are right alot more times than they get credit for.

I fear that Disney has made up their mind and they are wanting to completely overhaul Tomorrowland. Fantasyland East is coming unless something is done fast.

Well, Alien Encounter was a different story.

Besides, hopefully, by 2006, Eisner and his cronies will be out of the company, Roy Disney and Stanley Gold will return with new management and the chances of the CoP and Timekeeper surviving will be even greater.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Keeping my Fingers Crossed

Well, I certainly hope that CoP sticks around for a very long time yet. I would hate to see the one attraction that Walt insisted stay, be taken away from his legacy. Seems to fit with todays' mgmt style though. Which is, destroy any memory of the past and fill it with thrill rides, meet-greet stations, etc. etc.

General Grizz

HennieBogan1966 said:
Well, I certainly hope that CoP sticks around for a very long time yet. I would hate to see the one attraction that Walt insisted stay, be taken away from his legacy. Seems to fit with todays' mgmt style though. Which is, destroy any memory of the past and fill it with thrill rides, meet-greet stations, etc. etc.
... and gift shops.

You hear me correctly: Disney wanted to do away with CoP/Galaxy Palace/Skyway Station for a giant gift shop/emporium and "small attraction" in either the late 90s or early '00s.

BLASPHEMY!

dxwwf3

disneyphilip said:
Well, Alien Encounter was a different story.

How is it different? I was told by CM's that Stitch was an old rumor that wasn't true and then it turns out to be true. I'm just saying, don't totally blow off rumors from usually reliable sources. Even if they are off occasionally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom