CoP is going BYE BYE acording to Jim Hill......

Expo_Seeker40

I like the ideas of sprucing up the facade and overall appearance of the building. I also like the idea of adding in a museum of some sort to the entrance or exit of the ride. I do think that there should be a 4 minute preshow, with a reintroduced presentanion via TV monitors that shoq guests what they are in for, and I mean this in a good way.

As far as rehab goes, with the technology we have today, we can use the latest in Audio Animatronics, but able to maintain the physical appearance of the original 1964 AA's.

We can improve on lighting, and sound.

I mean it would take millions to rehab this ride. Disney has the money, and they need to spend it well on Walt's most favorite ride.

I personally would like to see the ride appear the way it was back in 1964. Tomorrowland no longer is serious about our future. Various pavilions in tomorrowland shwocase the way the future was scene at various time throughout the 20th century, like space mountain, or show contemporary humor about tomorrow, sucha s buzz lightyear's space ranger spin.

If the CoP were to remain in tomorrowland, why not have it end once again in christmas 1960? We would see Walt's original idea for the ride. I mean the ride was far more better than thr current 1994 version. I've already seen photos and films and audio of what the 1964 version was.

This would mean probbaly getting a new Carousel Theater, and allowing it to rotate back to the left/counter clockwise. Oh well no shock for Disney, since they have done this 3 times now.

For both the 1964 and 1967 version, when the theater doors would open, a full peice band and orchestra would play the theme song "beuaitufl tomorrow" and it could be ehard throughout the 3 minutes of loading. Meanwhile where the silver curtain is today, was a Giant wrap around screen called the "kaleidophonic wall", it was here that GE lightbulbs would syn and pulse to the music being played, while the GE logo would be in the center. [where the gear symbol is today]

In the final minute of loading the original narrator Rex Allen, who has since passed away, but is the current voice of grandpa, narrated the ride with an excellent narration. The screen would do waves and lines of motion to match his voice. It was very entertainign and should come back. All we have is a pretty dull theater and curtain.

The first three acts are close to what they were in 1964, that would not take alot to restore them back. The final act, which is act 4 shdould and can be restored back to christmas 1960. We would still see progress, just not progress into modern day, and there's no reason why in the current state of tomorrowland we need to. Let the show end in the 60s. Why not? A better and more informational preshow would explain why. If we keep updating just the final scene we will have a huge gap between 1940 and say 2010 or 2020, this would also effect reoding the first three acts, posislby totally changing them.

There's no real need to update the CoP. I think restoring it, and explaning why it ends in the 60s would help give guests a better understanding and appreciation of the ride.

General Grizz

Carousel of Progress operates seasonally - will operate until Stitch's Great Escape! opens. Please refer to Magic Kingdom Park Times Guide.
- From Official Magic Kingdom document.

Is this PERMANENT? What is meant by this UNTIL?? We don't know. It will probably go "seasonal" unless this is a "permanent closure."

Looks like we may be heading towards a CAROUSEL OF PROTEST.

THE D-ARMY IS COMING.

mrtoad

One thing I don't know if it were mentioned or not but if for some reason they do close it (hoping not) is there a chance rather than dismantle it, it could go someplace like the Smithsonian? Could it also be pushed that it is some sort of a landmark? I am not sure if that would be the correct word, but I know certain buildings are not torn down because of some historical significance (spelling?). Does anyone think that is a possible angle to push here?

Just throwing it out without having a clue of how that would work.

MKCP 1985

General Grizz said:
Carousel of Progress operates seasonally - will operate until Stitch's Great Escape! opens. Please refer to Magic Kingdom Park Times Guide.

Is this PERMANENT? What is meant by this UNTIL?? We don't know. It will probably go "seasonal" unless this is a "permanent closure."

THE D-ARMY IS COMING.

I seem to recall that being the public statement when construction began on SGE, nothing new. If so, my guess is seasonal means seasonal for CoP at this point. Otherwise, count me IN on your protest!

Edit: To clarify, CoP is staying open even though the busy season has ended until Stitch opens. Afterwards, it will close until the next busy season.

KevinPage

Original Poster
My main problem with the Flying Saucers is that it is an INTERACTIVE ride. Honestly, I don't really care for them. I enjoy Buzz, but 1 of them is enough, let alone 2 of them right next to each other.

I want to sit back and be told a story, not have to participate. Disney has plenty of guest interaction things to do in parks already.

Pixie Duster

MKCP 1985 said:
I seem to recall that being the public statement when construction began on SGE, nothing new. If so, my guess is seasonal means seasonal for CoP at this point. Otherwise, count me IN on your protest!

Edit: To clarify, CoP is staying open even though the busy season has ended until Stitch opens. Afterwards, it will close until the next busy season.

Nope. If it is seasonal it will say seasonal on the internal source, if it going to be gone for good it will say "operates or open until...." which is exactly what this says according to Grizz's post.

General Grizz

Pixie Duster said:
Nope. If it is seasonal it will say seasonal on the internal source, if it going to be gone for good it will say "operates or open until...." which is exactly what this says according to Grizz's post.
Are you SURE of this? The writing wasn't all that good (incomplete sentences), so maybe it will operate UNTIL Stitch opens, THEN operate seasonally?

I'd hate to start protest this early, but we certainly can.

NemoRocks78

Seized
General Grizz said:

THE D-ARMY IS COMING.

I believe that it is finally time to take action, General. :)

By the way.....didn't the Saucers have a very low RPH number? If so, then why the heck would they bring back an attraction of the sort? We'll only see lines as long as Test Track.

imagineer boy

Ya know, I was recently just watching a video of CoP on DisneyForever.com and I never really appreciated the attraction this much until now. It just has a great classic feel and entertaining. Gene kelly is really great here. It was walt's personal favorite attraction and it must stay! Save CoP!!!!!!

FutureCEO

Harldy any attendance at all at the Carousel of Progress and I thought anybody could post in a thread. Next time, put a save the carousel of progress thread up and then maybe i wouldnt post in that

General Grizz

FutureCEO said:
Harldy any attendance at all at the Carousel of Progress and I thought anybody could post in a thread. Next time, put a save the carousel of progress thread up and then maybe i wouldnt post in that

No, I am not saying this. Sorry if I came off wrong, but I just wanted you to speak more about WHY you think it should close.

P.S. imagineerboy - It's Jean Shepherd, but Gene Kelley would have been great, too. ;) :p

imagineer boy

FutureCEO said:
Harldy any attendance at all at the Carousel of Progress

Hem hem... Grizz and others have reported large attendance numbers at CoP with people singing along with the theme song and applauding at the end.

General Grizz

imagineer boy said:
Hem hem... Grizz and others have reported large attendance numbers at CoP with people singing along with the theme song and applauding at the end.
CoP is not a Space Mountain, but every report I have read here shows the theater even 3/4 full this September, even with Space Mountain having a 15 minute wait.

It may not look crowded all the time on the outside, but there's a very simple reason for this. There are SIX theaters, each with over a 200 person capacity. A theater loads every five minutes, so even if one theater is only half-full, that's pretty darn good at a given time considering the other theaters.

An operator of the Walt Disney World Railroad from Intercot said,

a CM said:
"I RIDE right by CoP *every day* on the Walt Disney World Railroad. I always see some good crowds in the queue, good crowds coming out, and the theater is turning constantly. After Stitch opens, who knows. But CoP *is* open on a daily basis *at this time*."

There are too many ways to bring even MORE attendance to Carousel of Progress. First, ADVERTISE IT ON THE TTA. It's the only attraction that doesn't have a plug or description. If they'd have a clip of Walt talking, OR if they included on the guide maps "Walt Disney's original attraction" INSTEAD of "a kitschy attraction," there would be more reason to go. A rehab is also necessary, and perhaps in this, a more decorative area could result (as CoP is somewhat hidden in that corner of Tomorrowland).

I have plenty of photos of CoP lines. . . I would not say attendance is an issue. If it indeed is, and by that I mean it could use MORE (it is well-visited), there are ways to help that.

(And yes, PixieDuster and others have reported guests singing and applauding at the end. :) )

NemoRocks78

Seized
General Grizz said:
CoP is not a Space Mountain, but every report I have read here shows the theater even 3/4 full this September, even with Space Mountain having a 15 minute wait.

Make that 3/4 full this September, even with Space Mountain being a walk-on. :animwink:

Number_6

General Grizz said:
(And yes, PixieDuster and others have reported guests singing and applauding at the end. :) )

And I'm one of those guests that is singing along and applauding at the end. ;)

Woody13

CoP is very poor show now and with an update, it would be worse. It's time to let CoP join Horizons and 20K in that great big beautiful Yesterland.

MiklCraw4d

Lee said:
Sure.

Personally, I would like to see an updated version be the centerpiece of a new Progressland pavillion in the Wonders of Life building...but that's just me.

QUOTE]

You have just exploded my brain. How I have never, ever noticed the similarity between Progressland and WOL is beyond me. This has become my favorite new idea. For the last few years I've been telling anyone who would indulge my insanity of my desire to save the Carousel by moving it to EPCOT as the finale of Innoventions. This is even better because of the added possibilities.

Now my mind is racing. OK, so we close WoL and clean it out. Then we add...

- The Carousel of Progress, which will show the effect of techological progress on our families from 1900 to the present.

- Filling the central area of the pavilion will be a relocated Innoventions, which will be laid out in a logical progression to show how technology is affecting us today. This will also allow the partial demolition of the Innoventions plaza for the Future World Gardens concept, which will allow much better guest flow throughout Future World and, I believe, better ridership all around.

- New Horizons, which will mimic as much of the classic ride as possible, and show technology's influence on the family in the future.

Thus, we have past, present, and future technology depicted. We have a show, a ride, and an exhibit area. There is a narrative flow throughout the entire pavilion, and two classic Disney concepts are refreshed for a new generation. Not to mention, we revive the entire theme of progress that EPCOT was built to represent.

Of course, Life & Health will need to be represented in a new pavilion, which would hopefully include a spruced up Cranium Command and an intact Making of Me. I think the original problems presented to those trying to make a Health omnimover ride could be worked around by combining typical omnimover sets with projection technology like in Spiderman. No more simulators, *please*.

OK, so who's got the cash to make this happen?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom