CoP is going BYE BYE acording to Jim Hill......

Disneyfanman

I don't agree that COP has passed its prime. My 15 year old daughter is a thrill ride junkie, and she will tell you that COP is the best attraction in Florida. My 11 year old loves it. My wife loves it. My 18 year old son enjoys it. I love it at 43. Give it some massive TLC, make the exterior something special, upgrade the special effects and make the AAs state of the art. The show is great for all generations, and is a wonderful change from rides. It's 20 minutes of wonderful air conditioning, and it's located in a place where you can wait for your fast pass time.

If it was given a bit of attention, I bet it would play to big numbers all day. The problem is that it's expensive to maintain, and not a flagship attraction anymore.

I think losing 20K was a poor decision. It was distinctive and people really miss it. Toad, I thought, was a snore and I was happy to help him into yesterland. Lion King was past it's prime. But COP? Somebody's gotta wake up here. :cry:

Kopp8699

I like CoP and it was one of Walt's own, but the fact is most people could care less if this attraction were CoP or something else. I would miss the attraction but I can understand why it would be going. It's a fun attraction, most of you think the same thing, but lets face it people... if you come to WDW you want the best. CoP is a good attraction, but it doesn't pull lines like Pirates, Splash, Space, Big Thunder, Hauntend Mansion, or Jungle Cruise. Some only want the most exciting. CoP isn't thrilling for most guests that are the run of the mill general public. The world is constantly changing. Most people don't want to see something made in 1975 that is considered outdated, it is extremly expensive to give it the rehab it needs and to keep it running without changing, and most likely hard to sell a 25+ year old show in Tommorrowland. I will be sad if it goes, and hopfully it won't, but if it does I will not be surprised.

J

joviacdan

I'm probably the only one here, but I'd actually be a bit disappointed if they changed CoP much at all. I think alot of the charm that comes from it is the old time AA.

I mean, people have a good point in saying that a ride like Spaceship Earth could use an overhaul of the track and ride vehicles. That could be done to make the ride more comfortable, but not actually changing the ride itself.

However, I never found the CoP seats to be uncomfortable.

There's no doubts that the crowds for the show aren't anything spectacular. I saw it 3 times on my last visit, and each show was anywhere from 25 - 50% full.

I agree that it just needs better promotion. It certainly caters to different age groups. My 4 year old loved it. I'm 28 and I love it. My mother in law is 60 and she loved it. It does have mass age appeal I think.

dox

Jim Hill has an update today folks. Apparently CoP will continue to operate through at least 2006 and will be a central part of the DL Golden Celebration. However, it's days after that our numbered. Meanwhile, in preparationfor the anniversary celebrations, the attraction is being upgraded and spruced up. But no content changes are expected. Once it is closed, if that occurs, CoP may make it's way to Communicore in some walk through attraction (blue sky idea per JH)

With respect to Timekeeper, it will be closing permanent after the holidays and will be gutted in the spring/summer of 2005 to make way for the flying saucers. Frankly, not much of a loss IMO. Although it is the best attraction to occupy that spot since WDW opened.

If this is true, we should all make a point of visiting CoP during our trips to WDW in the next 2 years and should we encounter it closed make a point of visiting City Hall and leaving a complaint..multiple times would be best. :sohappy:

I really don't understand the obsession with tearing down CoP. There is so much other space that could be used at TL, such as the tomorrow land theater for any new attractions. However, I have always wished they would send CoP over to Epcot but intact. Just seems so appropriate there.

Anyone have any confirmation of the above? Lee? Corrus?? Grizz??

netenyahoo

Well, this news has made it a necessity to schedule a trip before spring 2006. We weren't planning to go again until probably summer 2006. I love COP and think that if it was cared for and fixed up then more people would enjoy it. The last scene really needs to be updated and the sets fixed up. You can see tears and such all over the palce.

J

joviacdan

I've probably seen the Carousel about 10 times over the past year, and only experienced 2 problems.

1.The theatre didn't start moving on time during 1 showing and we ended up seeing the beginning of the scene we had just seen again.

2.The scene where the grandmother is watching TV, the TV wasn't working a couple times in September.

Other than that, I think it looks great still. Yeah, maybe some of the characters could use a slight touch up, but on a whole, I think it's still an attraction that should be left running for the Disney purists.

SeiraB17

I finally got to see CoP on my last vist and I loved it. I hope I can get there before it closes. As for the Timekeeper I've never seen that one....oh what about flying saucers?

NemoRocks78

Seized
So he first says it's going for good after SGE opens, now he is saying it has another year or two to go.

Uh....yeah....it sure is, Jim.... :veryconfu

I still don't believe it (TK, yes; CoP, no). Knowing how money-hungry management is, I don't see why they'd pour ANY amount of money into the attraction if it's only staying open until 2006. Besides, this is JIM HILL. He, IMO, is by far the worst source for any type of information.

Lee, care to share any insight on the subject?

Lee

Adventurer
Sure.

Actually, I have heard pretty much the same as Jim.

Timekeeper is on it's death bed, no question about that. As for the Flying Saucers, I heard that a long time ago, but can't get confirmation that it's been greenlit....yet.

Carousel is getting a bit of a cosmetic refurb, and will be around for a little while. Long term....no. Give it about 2 years or so. As for the Epcot thing, I haven't heard that. Personally, I would like to see an updated version be the centerpiece of a new Progressland pavillion in the Wonders of Life building...but that's just me.

I'm looking into the whole deal.

J

joviacdan

What's the deal with the flying saucers?

Are we talking thrill ride, another Astro Orbiter ride, show or Star Tours type of thing?

dox

Progressland? That sounds like an interesting idea, Lee. What would that pavillion consist of, concept etc.? Is there such a thing on drawing boards?

Lee

Adventurer
Progressland is where Carousel came from...a pavillion at the 1964 World's Fair.
From the outside it looked quite a bit like the Wonders of Life building, so I just figured that would make a good home for Carousel and some exhibits on...well...progress.

joviacdan, here are the saucers, in their original Disneyland form. The new version would be similar, but indoors and better themed.

Flying Saucers at Yesterland

J

joviacdan

Thanks for posting that Lee.

But oh no - I don't like the looks of that at all. Guess I shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions, but it just looks like it belong in Dinoland with all that other travelling carnival stuff.

General Grizz

This is absolutely unacceptable.

The D-Army will do its best to Save CoP, and we will do everything humanly possible to keep Walt's dream updated and ALIVE.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!

WDWScottieBoy

General Grizz said:

The D-Army will do its best to Save CoP, and we will do everything humanly possible to keep Walt's dream updated and ALIVE.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!

And I stand here ready to do whatever I must to keep CoP in it's place and OPEN! (By the way, thanks for sharing the link for the petition, I signed it and was the 2922 person to do so!)

NemoRocks78

Seized
General Grizz said:

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!

Awaiting orders, General! I'll do whatever I can to help prevent such a tragedy from happening. :(

I don't know why they don't go ahead with something like Progressland in WoL....wouldn't it be cheaper for them to move the Carousel there and add a few exhibits, rather than creating new attractions for WoL?

General Grizz

NemoRocks78 said:
Awaiting orders, General! I'll do whatever I can to help prevent such a tragedy from happening. :(

I don't know why they don't go ahead with something like Progressland in WoL....wouldn't it be cheaper for them to move the Carousel there and add a few exhibits, rather than creating new attractions for WoL?
Oh, no! Not Wonders of Life! :lol:

We have some major theatres, here: Carousel of Progress, Wonders of Life, Spaceship Earth, The Land (as a cautionary aprroach, not exactly protest), bad show, and I am debating to add Timekeeper.

Wow. This will be an active fall.

You will get orders shortly.

(And I would love to see CoP in Epcot!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom