Contemporary Game Room

Pluto_is_my_fav

About a year ago, I went back to WDW for the first time in about 10 years. (Don't ask me why I'm just writing this post now.) We stayed in the Contemporary and one of the things I was looking forward to was the game room. I remembered it as having a shooting arcade similar to the one in Fantasyland. That is gone now and the whole arcade area just seems lame compared to what I remember. When I asked cast members about it, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Do any of you remember this or am I just imagining things? If I not imagining, do you know why it got removed?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
About a year ago, I went back to WDW for the first time in about 10 years. (Don't ask me why I'm just writing this post now.) We stayed in the Contemporary and one of the things I was looking forward to was the game room. I remembered it as having a shooting arcade similar to the one in Fantasyland. That is gone now and the whole arcade area just seems lame compared to what I remember. When I asked cast members about it, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Do any of you remember this or am I just imagining things? If I not imagining, do you know why it got removed?

The shooting gallery in the Contemporary was the BEST!!!!! I 'wasted' many a quarter in that game room as a child.

Upvote 0

MickMan

We went back to the Contemporary a couple of years ago and i said the same thing. Did it use to be bigger or was I just smaller?

It seemed so much less than it used to be.:lookaroun

Upvote 0

DisneyDragon

The Fiesta Fun Center? Remember the movie theatre? Or am I going WAY back?

Oh man - I LOVED that place. Even when we stayed in other WDW resorts, we always went over to the Fiesta. I remember thinking it was so cool playing the different Tron games (Tron, Discs of Tron) in a Disney hotel. Just seemed so right. Plus, I could always grab a crowd watching me start-to-end a game of Dragon's Lair (animated by an ex-Disney god Don Bluth).

I just couldn't drag myself away from the games (or the shooting gallery) to hit the movie theatre though.

Upvote 0

ryguy

Before VHS was mainstream, that was the only way to see Disney movies. I think I saw most of my first Disney films in that theatre. That little theatre was great, can't understand why they would get rid of it. And how many arcades have shooting galleries? It was awesome. RIP Fiesta Fun center. :cry:
Boy I miss the 1980's Contemporary, RIP to you as well. :(

Upvote 0

justducky78

My husband (now 34) still talks about the game room everytime we're at the Contemporary! He stayed there every year (age 5+) with his family and remembers the shooting gallery, movie theatre, etc.

Does anyone have any pictures of the old game room? Or any old pics in general, of the Contemporary. I've seen some but there has to be more out there!

Upvote 0

FatBoy976

I think I could have probably put my future children through college with the money that my brother, my cousins and I spent on that shooting gallery. That place was awesome.

Upvote 0

jeffb

I loved that game room - it was so enourmous. I particularly recall the enourmous pin ball machine in it and spending hours playing the bowling video game (where you pushed the rolling stationary ball) and the black square would move on the b/w screen and knock down upto ten more black squares (pins) and a few years laters Galaga would become my favorite.

I still have a black and white drawing of me that you could have made there.

Upvote 0

Ciciwoowoo

The Fiesta Fun Center? Remember the movie theatre? Or am I going WAY back?

I remember!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

We saw Snowball Express one time, and the film broke during the scene when the electricity was off and the old guy (can't remember his name, he was the guy from MASH) was in the kitchen.

Anyway, it was a big deal because my parents had dropped us off there and took off, so we had time alone in the arcade!

Ohhhh.... Ahhhh.... :animwink:

I think I was 7 or 8?

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

Yes I remember playing it many times. I am not sure why they removed it, but it was done when they remodeled the food area and arcade.

Upvote 0

Disneybird

I also saw Snowball Express in the old movie theatre. I wish it was still there. Something else I miss is the artist that use to draw the caricatures of people. I have some of my daughters from many years ago.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I also saw Snowball Express in the old movie theatre. I wish it was still there. Something else I miss is the artist that use to draw the caricatures of people. I have some of my daughters from many years ago.

I forgot about those!! I still have a couple drawings from when I was a kid.

Upvote 0

Ciciwoowoo

Oh my! I guess this topic was very timely...

Ok...I've got $25 I can donate to the "buy the shooting gallery" fund!

Woo hoo! Only $119,750 to go!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom