Construction/Demolition at Old Imageworks

The Empress Lilly

So I guess it's much like the rest of the pavilion then.

rofl01.gif

Kuhio

As an aside, I greatly prefer these old-school smileys over the newer ones -- they're well worth digging up and using when the situation calls for it.

There's nothing in the new smiley palette quite like
wave.gif
or
crown.gif
or this very useful one --
paranoid.gif
-- which just gets translated as ":lookaroun" these days!

The older, simpler smileys have an innocence to them when compared to the new, more detailed -- albeit less animated -- ones. (I particularly dislike the leering, cross-eyed "smile" smiley -- :)-- which always comes off as bratty and patronizing to me.)

So, in a way -- and sort of on-topic for this thread -- it's kind of like classic Figment vs. contemporary Figment!

DarthGrady

As an aside, I greatly prefer these old-school smileys over the newer ones -- they're well worth digging up and using when the situation calls for it.

There's nothing in the new smiley palette quite like
wave.gif
or
crown.gif
or this very useful one --
paranoid.gif
-- which just gets translated as ":lookaroun" these days!

The older, simpler smileys have an innocence to them when compared to the new, more detailed -- albeit less animated -- ones. (I particularly dislike the leering, cross-eyed "smile" smiley -- :)-- which always comes off as bratty and patronizing to me.)

So, in a way -- and sort of on-topic for this thread -- it's kind of like classic Figment vs. contemporary Figment!

So we may soon get a hastily constructed room full of the old smileys just to appease the fans? :D

IWant2GoNow

I was only able to experience Image Works once in '94 when I was 12. I remember the rainbow tunnel & thinking how cool the sunlight was coming through the glass roof & onto the floor. The OP had the most detailed video of any that I've seen after it has closed & I can't believe/remember that there is THAT much space up there. It's almost like TDO decided to symbolically reflect their current state & new motto into the pavilion.

"There's nothing going on upstairs with our Imagination."

Figments Friend

-
Just watched the two posted videos. Very cool to see these...and i am amazed to see some very choice peices still up there ..most impressed by the Figments Coloring Book being mostly intact.

I had a question...

In the first video, a segment features a circular item with designs within that seems to still be making noise. It is stickered *Do Not Destroy* ala Archive notices shown in a close up still photo included in the video. Nice to see it seems to be valued by the Disney Archives.

My question is...WHAT is this circular object? I looked at a still photo of it from the posted album shared, but still can not remember what this was. I dont remember seeing it, or hearing about it in previous multiple discussions about the old Imageworks.

Thanks in advance....!

HMF

-
Just watched the two posted videos. Very cool to see these...and i am amazed to see some very choice peices still up there ..most impressed by the Figments Coloring Book being mostly intact.

I had a question...

In the first video, a segment features a circular item with designs within that seems to still be making noise. It is stickered *Do Not Destroy* ala Archive notices shown in a close up still photo included in the video. Nice to see it seems to be valued by the Disney Archives.

My question is...WHAT is this circular object? I looked at a still photo of it from the posted album shared, but still can not remember what this was. I dont remember seeing it, or hearing about it in previous multiple discussions about the old Imageworks.

Thanks in advance....!
Dreamfinder's Race, I think.

Figments Friend

-
Thanks HMF......anyone remember what this activity involved?
In both of the videos that were posted, it is eerie how it seems to be making noises.

With all of the dumbing down of EPCOT, this one still breaks my heart the most. I wish TDO would realize that there is still a market craving attractions with substance. At least I have my pictures and memories of what was...

HDS

My question is, why have construction walls up in an place not seen (not suppose to) by anyone? When I was there last week I did talk to a CM in gift shop. A lot of what she said was stuff I knew and I told her stuff she didn't know. One thing she said was "The reason why they removed Figment was he got to popular, more popular then Mickey! They had never had that happen before so they removed him". I talked to one other CM working the ride and he said "After Test Track is done the next thing should be a new movie for Magic Eye Theater to replace EO and then JII would be next. But again I don't expect a young 20's CM to really know whats going to happen.

blm07

-
Thanks HMF......anyone remember what this activity involved?
In both of the videos that were posted, it is eerie how it seems to be making noises.
It would spin around and there was a mirror in the shape of a pole where you could see it's reflection. There was also unique dialog of Dreamfinder and Figment talking to each other coming from above. It was just something you could watch rather than do anything with. I saw it in Martin's Image Works video.

http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=554
check at 19:20

HouCuseChickie

So many amazing memories from Imageworks...strongest is the Rainbow Corridor, but everything up there was just awe inspiring for me as a child. We'd lose track of time up there playing...which was a treat since my dad usually liked being on a schedule. I experienced it for the first time with my family in 1985 on our first trip to WDW, was lucky enough to have double digit visits as well, but never realized my first trip w/DH in June of 1998 would be the last time I'd experience it. I understand it was October of that year when it officially closed. Just crushing b/c I know my girls would also be WOW'd by it all. :(

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
My question is, why have construction walls up in an place not seen (not suppose to) by anyone? When I was there last week I did talk to a CM in gift shop. A lot of what she said was stuff I knew and I told her stuff she didn't know. One thing she said was "The reason why they removed Figment was he got to popular, more popular then Mickey! They had never had that happen before so they removed him". I talked to one other CM working the ride and he said "After Test Track is done the next thing should be a new movie for Magic Eye Theater to replace EO and then JII would be next. But again I don't expect a young 20's CM to really know whats going to happen.
I've never heard the theory of Figment getting more popular than Mickey... that's an interesting one. Of course as you said, who knows where they got that or if they were just making it up. I'd love it if the 2nd CM was true. I must admit that I have been speculating just internally with my family that once TT is done there is going to be more happening in Future World. The only reason I hold onto that belief is I feel like Disney is finally realizing their parks need some work and once the New Fantasyland is done and they have their celebrations etc. related to that, they'll want to keep the momentum going and move to the next park in line. Now that said, lots of rumors re: DHS getting some love too so I'm hoping they don't just skip over Epcot. I guess we shall see... I won't believe anything until I see construction walls go up anywhere though! LOL! :D

Nmoody1

With all the NextGen features popping up in a host of attractions, plus software such as SOTMK now being used so much by WDW, surely they could creat something awesome of this huge space!

Read somewhere that Brad Bird mentioned as part of DLPs ratatouille ride a 3D film was also planned but $limitations mean he theatre won't be built - maybe the film will end up in EPCOT!

I find it hard to imagine Figment being more popular than Mickey! But if he was honk of the merchandising g opportunities, disney surely would have cashed in on that! I do think there is so much potential for figment, a 3D film, more use in a ride, meet and greet, NextGen game.... Just use your IMAGINATION!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom