Construction/Demolition at Old Imageworks

The Empress Lilly

You know, at least Horizons and WoM were replaced by something different. Much as I may be displeased by it, at least it has some sort of internal logic that if you want to change your adult park into a run-of-the-mill thrill park, you swap immerisve dark rides for quick thrills. But Imagination was merely replaced by The Stupid Version of Imagination. So frustrating.

If I may vent a bit, the travesty is not even limited to ripping out the great ride and the lovely Imageworks:
- The exterior colour scheme of the Imagination pavilion was blue and purple. The colours of...Dreamfinder and Figment. Such was the artistic unity of the pavilion. Now, the colour palete is random bright colours outside, random colours inside.
- Those are not pyramids. They are crystals. Not geometric, but organic. An natural shape, like everything else in FW west from the Land to the Seas, with which it forms an artistic unity.
The pavilion isn't shaped as 'two pyramids atop an indefined structure'. No, the entire pavilion is a whole, an organic structure, crystallike in all of the exterior shapes and forms of the Imagination pavilion. Not the Egyptian pyramids, but something like this amethyst crystal is the inspiration for Imagination:

p264607-Amethyst_Crystals.jpg

- This was more apparant when the plexiglass structure on the fountain had a clear natural shape too, echoing the pyramidal crystals. Sadly, they changed it for a structure of rigid pyramidal shape. Which much less echoes the form of the pavilion.
- What's with the large bolt/screw name sign? Like the one at CoP, it makes neither thematic not artistic sense. Just a silly, oversized object that is meant to evoke modernity and progress or some such. The original sign was made in the same style as the crystal pyramid. So much nicer.

Victor Kelly

The worst part is, I have not been in the Imagination pavilion since they changed from the original ride. After they changed it, I have never gone back, and prefer to imagine it and remember it the way it was. This besides Horizons and World of Motion,was my favorite.

NewfieFan

Agreed!

It's ironic that so little imagination went into creating the new Imagination pavilion. It seems as if the design team just gave up and said "that'll do!". The first incarnation of the ride and Imageworks was amazing and truly memorable. The fact that so many look back upon it so fondly is testament to that. The new ride is boring and forgettable; the new Imageworks is more of and afterthought than a stand alone exhibit. I agree that something has got to be done to make it a place of wonder and excitment as the original was. I just don't think Disney has any interest in it, which is the saddest part of all.

Its not all bad though, at least we have EO back.

I was with you right up until EO! That show just needs to put to rest. In the words of my son, "Captain EO is lame-o!" (My 9 year old boy actually said that.) They NEED to put in a whole new show that would suit the pavilion and wow guests again.

I skip Imagination almost every time I visit Epcot now... which is sad! Such wonderful memories from my childhood - it was the most impressive thing to me as a child when I visited Epcot.

asianway

If they are so into meet and greets, lets bring back the figment meet and greet, and make a space for it up there....at least it would be utilized someway.
Apparently, at the end, the Figment greet was not well attended.

Unless a character can support 8 hour daily continuous greets, 365 days a year, sometimes in multiple parks(in multiple locations, sometimes with multiple rooms per location within the park) they cease to exist at WDW.

TropicalFig8

I always think that the original Imagination would have been the perfect ride to take my future children on and including me. I think of the original as Haunted Mansion,Peter Pan,etc. An attraction that would leave an impression on everyone and never be outdated. Just needing updating on new technology.
I pray the next pavilion to get refurbished after Test Track should be Imagination.

JimboJones123

I have said it before. Will say it again.

Build a walkway ramp to the upstairs!

Then, NO MORE FIRE HAZARD!!!!!

Problem fixed and the place could reopen in a matter of months.

Goofyernmost

Apparently, at the end, the Figment greet was not well attended.

Unless a character can support 8 hour daily continuous greets, 365 days a year, sometimes in multiple parks(in multiple locations, sometimes with multiple rooms per location within the park) they cease to exist at WDW.

That makes sense due to the fact that Figment disappeared in any degree of prominence in the late 90's. Most of the young folks that make up the Meet and Greet crowd never heard of him. I don't know how they presented it. Did they reincarnate the Dreamfinder as well. That is a very important part of the Figment legacy. If you haven't seen the original...neither character has much impact.:(

Goofyernmost

I have said it before. Will say it again.

Build a walkway ramp to the upstairs!

Then, NO MORE FIRE HAZARD!!!!!

Problem fixed and the place could reopen in a matter of months.

In my opinion the fire hazard reason is about as lame as the new show is. Care to think about how many rides in WDW are a potential hazard in the event of a fire. Inside in the dark...no orientation to speak of. Not a pretty thought. It was just an excuse to end a highly expensive, CM heavy attraction and sound like angels protecting the flock.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I always think that the original Imagination would have been the perfect ride to take my future children on.

I was bummed to see the new ride. It was my favorite ride as a kid, I remembered it vividly, knew the song by heart, and even slept with a Figment doll (who is still sitting in my room to this day).

I very much wanted to share that experience as a parent with my 4 year old on her first trip, and we did, and she got her own Figment doll (her choice, not mine, but it warmed my heart that she picked it up and asked for it, and it was the only plush she asked for on that trip). So, maybe the new ride is still finding a special place with modern kids.

But, I'd rather have that nostalgic moment to share...shame.

TropicalFig8

When I introduce Figment to people who never knew about him,they fall in love with him. And not because of the current ride. But when I was introduced to the original ride (and I knew about Figment already) I loved him even more because I once knew him as the little brat of the 3rd version to knowing the lovable,childish figment of Dreamfinder's imagination.

WDWBryan

I saw one fan made diagram of the pavilion and it indicated there was a wheelchair ramp in the back corner. Not correct?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I saw one fan made diagram of the pavilion and it indicated there was a wheelchair ramp in the back corner. Not correct?
Definately not correct. The exterior ramp facing Test Track however (behind Magic Eye (EO) theatre) leads to the VIP lounge. Perhaps this was it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom