Construction between Contemporary and TTC

Heppenheimer

I just feel that if Disney is capable of installing the horror in the EPCOT lagoon and making it work doing something w Discovery Island would be small potatoes.
They could easily handle the logistics. They did before. The question is if supporting such a venture would generated sufficient profits or convince enough people to stay on property longer to visit it. I suspect if they thought they could make money off it still, we would already have an attraction on Discovery Island again.

Unbanshee

We know they tried again in the early and late 90s. One might assume later than that too. Like I said they really want to build there. It’s considered the prime plot. I’m sure if they could do it before now they would have.

Holland said that they explored using that area in the early 2000's too. I wonder if they could pull of a super expensive boutique offering here like Galactic Starcruiser size and not have the large impact that a fully fledged resort would have

GimpYancIent

Holland said that they explored using that area in the early 2000's too. I wonder if they could pull of a super expensive boutique offering here like Galactic Starcruiser size and not have the large impact that a fully fledged resort would have
Since the area is water logged a Pirates concept may work or if a Star Wars Galactic Cruiser is the template, why not go with a 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea concept. Don't fight nature work with it and use what you are allowed to have. An exclusive niche Venetian theme would also work.

doctornick

If they do a Venetian/Mediterranean style, they better make it really nice as it will inevitably be compared to the Portifino at Uni which is excellent

pdude81

Since the area is water logged a Pirates concept may work or if a Star Wars Galactic Cruiser is the template, why not go with a 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea concept. Don't fight nature work with it and use what you are allowed to have. An exclusive niche Venetian theme would also work.
20K would be great as it could be leaky and partially submerged. That even works if the land is garbage

peter11435

Got me thinking. How about MOVE the campsites? Is the land now occupied by Ft. Wilderness stable?
If so - take it for a new DVC, effectively MOVE Ft. Wilderness to an area that would not support a large multi-floor structure.
They already have other sites that could support a large multi floor structure. Including the site we are discussing and the Reflections site.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I assume they’re possibly maybe thinking of trying again with more modern techniques. Or maybe it’s nothing.

@Master Yoda may know more about present day construction feasibility.
Foundations for large commercial construction are a little out of my wheel house, but I know of no new advancements that would make it easier or more to the point, less expensive to build on that site. As I have always said, you can build anywhere, if you are willing to write the check.

ParentsOf4

For those who might be interested, here's some of the pre-1971 artwork for the Venetian Resort, which was supposed to be located near the Contemporary.

1625441451984.png

1625441466670.png

Ayla

If I remember correctly, weren't there some height test balloons on that site a few years ago? Like maybe around 5 years +/-?

I'm not a geotechnical engineer and I don't live/work in FL, but I've seen developers build on all kinds of stuff...even over sink holes. Maybe the cost of building in the past wasn't where they wanted it to be, but I have a hard time believing that they COULDN'T build on it if they wanted to. With proper geotechnical exploration and a properly engineered foundation/pile system, you can build on just about anything.
After the Surfside collapse, I don't believe that for a second.

GimpYancIent

The real Venice was built in 421AD on pilings in marshland /swamp. It's still there and quite the tourist attraction. Ok, Ok after these few centuries some sinking issues have arisen, I grant you that. However, with modern engineering techniques and materials a WDW replica can be built.

roj2323

If I had to guess as to what they are doing I'd think they are storing dirt there from the fort wilderness DVC expansion. Doing this obviously stores the dirt but it also helps compress the ground in preparation for future projects. We saw this process happen with the StarWars themed hotel project. Since there's no reported permits, I can't imagine this is anything more than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom