Construction between Contemporary and TTC

mysto

Those reports are good for a length of time, and I can’t see them spending money on that again…it’s not like the earth has changed since the last one.

Don't underestimate the mole people's ability to alter the landscape! They could even open a channel to an undiscovered geothermal hotspot.

Now there's some untapped IP, quick, trademark it.

castlecake2.0

My understanding is it's not suitable for large scale construction without cost prohibitive investment in the foundations. As Martin has said, it's the prime spot if they could make it happen.
You say large scale, do you think they would ever do something like a super upscale restaurant or something of that nature or is it just not worth it?

There’s that empty plot of land across the road from the contemporary behind the MK bus depot that seems like it would be a good spot for a waterside restaurant but not sure the logistics would make it worth it.

ryguy

Did he ever mention what the "mostly economic" reasons were? Most entities would want to take advantage of a prime asset. I have a feeling the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Did he ever mention what the "mostly economic" reasons were? Most entities would want to take advantage of a prime asset. I have a feeling the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
This^^^

My first thought is economically unviable due to poor site conditions. If the Kansai airport can be built over water, a hotel could be built on this patch of land. Whether it makes sense to do so financially is another question.

peter11435

This^^^

My first thought is economically unviable due to poor site conditions. If the Kansai airport can be built over water, a hotel could be built on this patch of land. Whether it makes sense to do so financially is another question.
The project almost moved forward more than once despite the cost. They didn’t stop because of new/unknown costs with the site itself. Rather timing and economic conditions outside of WDW

tl77

Those 15 foot markers, with the yellow and black "caution tape" across the top, are to make sure no vehicle large that 15 foot uses that dirt road... basically so there won't be another lager vehicle hitting the 17.5 foot monorail beam between. That being said, 15 foot is pretty high, so it seems they plan on taking some fairly large vehicles back there.

Isn't D23 coming up this summer? maybe an announcement soon about what ever this is. I'm guessing it'll mostly likely it'll be a hotel/DVC combo, since they make tons of money on those

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Kansai was built on top of a landfill and is sinking 2-3cm each year.
It was built on 2 man-made islands on Osaka bay and yes it is sinking. The sinking was expected and accounted for in the design (the 900 +/- columns supporting the building all sit on hydraulic rams that are adjusted every 2 years), but the rate at which it initially sank was grossly underestimated probably cutting the expected life of the airport in half.

In spite of all of the problems, the airport is still supposedly still in the black.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Those 15 foot markers, with the yellow and black "caution tape" across the top, are to make sure no vehicle large that 15 foot uses that dirt road... basically so there won't be another lager vehicle hitting the 17.5 foot monorail beam between. That being said, 15 foot is pretty high, so it seems they plan on taking some fairly large vehicles back there.

Isn't D23 coming up this summer? maybe an announcement soon about what ever this is. I'm guessing it'll mostly likely it'll be a hotel/DVC combo, since they make tons of money on those

Maybe we are reading to much into this. Those markers were installed in line with an existing path into that area. Maybe this is just a precaution in case a vehicle needs to access that area, maybe even prompted by the recent accident near MK where a truck hit the beam. Not sure about the need for the fencing, but when you do construction you often put up silt fencing to project from soil run-off, but that is not what was installed there.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Maybe we are reading to much into this. Those markers were installed in line with an existing path into that area. Maybe this is just a precaution in case a vehicle needs to access that area, maybe even prompted by the recent accident near MK where a truck hit the beam. Not sure about the need for the fencing, but when you do construction you often put up silt fencing to project from soil run-off, but that is not what was installed there.
It is all just to allow large lawn mowers into the area ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom