Considering driving instead of flying because of TSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadiebird

I have a trip to WDW planned for May 2011. I've already purchased my flights, but I'm seriously considering requesting a refund based on all the stories I've been reading about the invasive security procedures being used by the TSA. I don't have a problem going through a metal detector or having my bag searched. I don't even have a problem with a standard pat down. But I do have a problem with being strip searched by a machine. And if I choose to opt out of that, I also have a problem with a pat down that involves touching my private areas. I don't want to subject myself or my 5 year old son to these things so that we can get on a plane and fly to Disney World. I'd rather drive 17 hours in a car. My husband has convinced me to wait until closer to our trip to get a refund on the plane tickets, just in case the TSA decides to back down on their procedures. I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way. I can't believe this is the direction our country is heading. :(

Pioneer Hall

I just read this article and at the very end it states that children under 12 are excused from the enhanced pat down. This looks a little more official than the last statement they made saying children under 12 "should" be excused.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/17/national/main7063414.shtml

When I went through the machine yesterday at MCO, they asked me if I had children with me before they sent me that way. If you were traveling with children then you weren't going through the Xray/Patdown line.

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
When I went through the machine yesterday at MCO, they asked me if I had children with me before they sent me that way. If you were traveling with children then you weren't going through the Xray/Patdown line.

That's WONDERFUL to hear!!!

Anyone flown through Philly lately who can confirm the same thing?

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Im not saying NOTHING should be done, just that this isn't the answer.

I don't think the rule about children is nationwide. There was a news guy travelling with his family who's 3yr old was put through a body pat down while she screamed and cried her head off. He videoed it with his cell

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
Im not saying NOTHING should be done, just that this isn't the answer.

I don't think the rule about children is nationwide. There was a news guy travelling with his family who's 3yr old was put through a body pat down while she screamed and cried her head off. He videoed it with his cell

I'm pretty sure they announced the new rule about children in response to the three year old event and numerous complaints.

Upvote 0

rlm919

glad to hear hourly employees for the tsa have made the determination that there couldn't possibly anyone traveling with child(ren) who would pose a security threat. either the new measures are needed or they aren't but to make such a broad exception is insulting.

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
glad to hear hourly employees for the tsa have made the determination that there couldn't possibly anyone traveling with child(ren) who would pose a security threat. either the new measures are needed or they aren't but to make such a broad exception is insulting.

It doesn't mean you don't go through security. You just go through the standard metal detectors that the majority of people go through anyway.

Additionally, the hourly employees aren't making this call. Transportation Safety Administration chief John Pistole has stated that children under 12 are excused from the pat down.

Upvote 0

tizzo

Radiation from full-body scanner is equal to 2 minutes of radiation received mid-flight. Unless your flight is less than 4 minutes long, roundtrip, scanner radiation is a miniscule factor compared to in-flight radiation exposure. IMO, of course.

That is an assertion by TSA that remains in dispute.

Upvote 0

rlm919

It doesn't mean you don't go through security. You just go through the standard metal detectors that the majority of people go through anyway.

Additionally, the hourly employees aren't making this call. Transportation Safety Administration chief John Pistole has stated that children under 12 are excused from the pat down.

regardless who's making the call, if it is decided the new measures are in place to make air travel safer, no group should be exempt from going through them.

I support the new procedures 100% and wish they were in place years ago.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That is an assertion by TSA that remains in dispute.
As far as I can tell.... Every assertion made by your Government or any agency thereof remains "in dispute" eternally.

Conspiracy theories being the apparent number one pastime of U.S. citizens. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
regardless who's making the call, if it is decided the new measures are in place to make air travel safer, no group should be exempt from going through them.

That's right; those little ones are as much a threat as anyone else.....

Especially to my ankles.......:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As far as I can tell.... Every assertion made by your Government or any agency thereof remains "in dispute" eternally.

Conspiracy theories being the apparent number one pastime of U.S. citizens. :rolleyes:
How I wish conspiracy theorists were contained inside the US borders. They are everywhere.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

I just read this article and at the very end it states that children under 12 are excused from the enhanced pat down. This looks a little more official than the last statement they made saying children under 12 "should" be excused.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/17/national/main7063414.shtml

From the article link above: "Currently, all passengers going through airport security are asked to submit to a full body image scan when it is available, Pistole said."
At our airport it is random, not ALL passengers-it was just mentioned on our local news as well. And just because they're saying that children under 12 should be excused doesn't mean they will in all instances.
Whether you agree or not with the enhanced images, something needs to be done with TSA being a little more courteous to our kids from my experiences(i've mentioned in this thread)

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
From the article link above: "Currently, all passengers going through airport security are asked to submit to a full body image scan when it is available, Pistole said."
At our airport it is random, not ALL passengers-it was just mentioned on our local news as well. And just because they're saying that children under 12 should be excused doesn't mean they will in all instances.
Whether you agree or not with the enhanced images, something needs to be done with TSA being a little more courteous to our kids from my experiences(i've mentioned in this thread)

Actually, if you read the wording, it specifically says, "Pistole emphasized that children under the age of 12 are excused from the enhanced pat-downs."

Upvote 0
I flew out of Orlando this morning on business to NY. There were no scanners in Terminal B heading through security on the way to the Delta gates (60 - 120 but I may be off on the range of gate numbers). The lines were a little longer than usual but there was just "standard" security for now. There were quite a few "junk jokes" though...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom