Considering DL Trip

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
We just returned a couple weeks ago from our 9 night family vacation to WDW. DH and I are really wanting to do a Disney trip on our own sans kiddos. I suggested we check out DL since I've never been. Everyone I've mentioned this to has laughed about the size differences. That's fine. I understand. I just want to see the roots, see where the magic began, experience that which Walt created.

Any tips, thoughts, or suggestions? Looks like during the school year during the week is best. Is there a huge advantage to flying into an airport other than LAX? Also, I was looking at the Grand Californian for our hotel. I understand it's nicest. Is the Disneyland hotel okay?

Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping DH and I can really make this happen sooner than later. We need a getaway for our 15th year together. :)

darthjohnny

People exaggerate the whole "size" issue sometimes. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised when you go.

Grand California is very nice. I haven't stayed there, but have been in it. It's pretty much like a smaller version of the Wilderness Lodge at WDW.

I haven't been to the Disneyland Hotel, but I do know they have a nice Peter Pan themed pool complete with a Pirate Ship water slide.

Nicole220

Do not fly into LAX....Fly into John Wayne (Orange County/SNA). It's smaller and a lot closer to the DLR. Avoid LAX. It's big and icky and farther away.

The Grand Californian Hotel is the best hotel on property. I'd definitely stay there if you want to be on property. The DL Hotel is okay, but not nearly as nice as the GCH. I think you'd be disappointed with the DL Hotel after staying in WDW Resort hotels...Oh, and the GCH houses the best Disney restaurant, Rapa Rose. I'd definitely make reservations.

The best time to visit the resort is during the week. Avoid weekends and holidays like the plague...

Like darthjohnny said, the size issue isn't a problem. One other difference between the two resorts is the food selection. DL's food offerings aren't very good. Just letting you know...

Another heads up, DCA will probably be going through it's "makeover." So that'll be covered in refurb walls.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :wave:

Tim G

Do not fly into LAX....Fly into John Wayne (Orange County/SNA). It's smaller and a lot closer to the DLR. Avoid LAX. It's big and icky and farther away.

The Grand Californian Hotel is the best hotel on property. I'd definitely stay there if you want to be on property. The DL Hotel is okay, but not nearly as nice as the GCH. I think you'd be disappointed with the DL Hotel after staying in WDW Resort hotels...Oh, and the GCH houses the best Disney restaurant, Rapa Rose. I'd definitely make reservations.

The best time to visit the resort is during the week. Avoid weekends and holidays like the plague...

Like darthjohnny said, the size issue isn't a problem. One other difference between the two resorts is the food selection. DL's food offerings aren't very good. Just letting you know...

Another heads up, DCA will probably be going through it's "makeover." So that'll be covered in refurb walls.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :wave:

I always used to fly into John Wayne, indeed alot easier and relaxed...

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Thanks so much, y'all. :)

We recently stayed at the Contamporary at WDW and loved it. Staying at the GC looks to be comparable on price. I really want the theme park view but don't know that I want to shell out that kind of buckos again. That's why I asked about the DL Hotel.

I thought about all the work that will be going on at CA. I don't want to wait for all of it to be completed. I was hoping to squeeze something in maybe in March or April. Another reason for choosing DL over WDW is that it won't take as much time to see. :) I'm not too worried about the size difference. I'm pretty optimistic. My feet will probably be much happier with me at the end of the park days. LOL!

So, restaurants to hit include Blue Bayou. Is NO Square pretty authentic with it's theming? We lived near New Orleans, Louisiana for about 12 years. We miss it badly. You mentioned Napa Valley. Any others that are must tries? My cousin says Goofy's Kitchen is the best character meal. What's your opinion?

Also, do they offer any good guided tours? I need to look into that. I'd love to do something in the way of a tour. :)

Thanks again for your help. I feel like a newbie all over again! LOL!

Disneyfalcon

I agree, stay at the Grand Californian. It's beautiful. We've stayed there three times, we can't get enough.

Size is not a big deal as others have mentioned. In fact the size makes getting around incredible easy.

Nicole220

We recently stayed at the Contamporary at WDW and loved it. Staying at the GC looks to be comparable on price. I really want the theme park view but don't know that I want to shell out that kind of buckos again. That's why I asked about the DL Hotel.

I thought about all the work that will be going on at CA. I don't want to wait for all of it to be completed. I was hoping to squeeze something in maybe in March or April. Another reason for choosing DL over WDW is that it won't take as much time to see. :) I'm not too worried about the size difference. I'm pretty optimistic. My feet will probably be much happier with me at the end of the park days. LOL!

So, restaurants to hit include Blue Bayou. Is NO Square pretty authentic with it's theming? We lived near New Orleans, Louisiana for about 12 years. We miss it badly. You mentioned Napa Valley. Any others that are must tries? My cousin says Goofy's Kitchen is the best character meal. What's your opinion?

Also, do they offer any good guided tours? I need to look into that. I'd love to do something in the way of a tour. :)

Yes, Blue Bayou, Napa Rose, and Goofy's Kitchen are the must tries. Blue Bayou has a great atmosphere, Napa Rose has amazing service and food, and Goofy's Kitchen is a lot of fun and has good food.

I don't know if NOS is authentic, but the theming is the best in DL and MK. It's my favorite land!

svickersart

I dont think you will be disapointed with any of the Disney hotels there but GC is the top of the line. Also the Dinseyland hotel is going to be gettign a major refurb starting in 08 one tower at a time. California Adventure is also going to be getting the major work but there are really only a few things that are must do's there so I dont think it will be a real problem. Go during the week if possible and as stated avoid holidays. Mid jan through march are good times to go but check the website for refurbs. IASW is goiing to close for 8 months starting in Jan so I'm guessing your goiing to miss it and there is a difference between DL and WDW's IASM.

A see a lot of people that saw WDW is better because its bigger. I love WDW, there is so much to do there but DL is the best, it is smaller with just the two parks but Walts Magic Kingdom is much more intimate. People are right about dining, WDW has so many choices while DL is a bit short on the dining experiences. Blue Bayou is one place you will want to try and any of the character experiences are good. Storytell cafe at GC is very good also and we love Goffy's Kitchen at the DL hotel. The Japanese place at Paradise Pier is good and so is PCH grill. I think the best dining choices are at the hotels. There are so pretty good counter service places but you can only eat so many burgers.

I have heard there is a special coming up for after mid jan of 5 days at the parks for price of 3 so you might look into that.

MainSt1993

The DL Hotel and PP Hotel are like Disney-themed Hiltons. Nothing special. In fact, DL Hotel I heard is going to be gutted and rebuilt so it's more of a Disney hotel in quality. We stayed at the Grand and absolutely loved it. Our room faced Grizzly Peak, and we had breakfast on the balcony every morning watching the sun rise. The staff is over the top gracious, and the rooms are gorgeous. I can't wait to go back!

IMHO, if you're not going to stay at the Grand, stay at one of the neighboring hotels like Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott.

mouselvrmom

We just got back from a trip to dl and we stayed at the disneyland hotel. It was alright. Nothing special. The kids really loved it. They loved the pool and the theme. So it was nice for them. I would agree with everyone on here and say that if it is just you and the hubby you should stay at the Grand Californian. When we go back we will be staying there.

blue donkey

Just wanted to 2nd/3rd on:
  • dining choices mentioned above
  • sna to fly-in
  • GCH
If you're going in mar/apr., I'd also:
  • look at the anaheim convention center websites to see if there are any big conventions during those times
  • avoid the week before & after easter
  • stay at least a fri/sun to catch the fireworks or late shows if the parks close early during your stay

Disneysue

In the Parks
No

The absolute BEST guided tour to take is called "WALK IN WALTS FOOTSTEPS" It is somehwere between 4-5 hours, you get lunch and you learn SO MUCH! Even the most freakish of Disney Freaks will learn something on that tour. It is worth every penny! If you book through AAA usually you get a tour with your package, if your going through Disney Travel, ask them about the tours.

If your willing to spend $$$ for something special, may I recommend the advanced seating reservations for Fantasmic! It costs about $60 per person.....BUT you get to sit in a chair (while everyone else will be either standing and craining their neck, or sitting on the cobblestone ground for over an hour to get a good view) with a very good unobstructed view and you will have a dessert buffet of cookies, mickey krispy treats, chocolate covered strawberries and other yummy munchies as well as bottom-less soft drinks, water, coffee, & tea. I LOVED it, a co-worker I told about it, was not impressed with it. She was expecting fancier desserts and plush chairs. The chairs are folding chairs, but CHAIRS!!!

For the Blue Bayou, make sure you get reservations BEFORE your trip. It fills up rather quickly, and just be prepared to wait a good 30-45 minutes for your table even with reservations. It is a very popular restaurant even on slow days, and they do not turn tables very quickly. That being said, it is WORTH THE WAIT!

Other good places to dine are in Downtown Disney Catal is VERY GOOD and I am told that Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen is like being in NO. I have never been to NO, so I cant help in that aspect, but I have been to Jazz Kitchen and I thought it was FANTASTIC! For quick service in Downtown Disney, La Brea Bakery Cafe is great for breakfast pastries are baked fresh and delievered every morning, they have coffee, juice, espresso, lattes & mochas. Quick service in the park, Village Haus in Fantasyland (close to Dumbo and Casey JR) is good so is Carnation Cafe on Main Street, you can get a sandwich and cup of soup for $10.

I stayed in Disney's Paradise Pier and LOVED IT! I had a 12th floor park view room and it was amazing! I never closed my curtains! Hey I was on the 12th floor it was safe and the view was to die for! The beds were comfortable! Now, after going to WDW and staying at the Beach Club, the rooms at the Beach Club and Paradise Pier, were amazingly IDENTICAL! The beds, equally comfortable, room size seemed to be the same, price, a bit cheaper. Yes Grand Californian is AMAZINGLY beautiful but keep in mind it is a 4 star hotel and VERY PRICEY! Paradise Pier to me, had the Disney feel for less money. Its a little bit farther walk, but still closer than staying off property at a "Good Neighbor" hotel.

BrerKev

We took our first trip to DL 12/1/07 through 12/8/07. So many people had told us that we wouldn't enjoy it as much as WDW. Boy were they wrong. We had such a magical time. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Such a treat to not have to wait for a bus to take you back to your hotel at the end of the evening as you do in FL. Disneyland itself was so beautiful. Fantasyland was simply charming. If you have never been, I say do it. We devoted 4 days to bounce between the 2 parks, and still didn't have enough time to get on everything. It will be hard to choose between going to DL or WDW next time. If you have any specific questions on the DLR, please feel free to send me a message.

kcw

first off- my opinion on the size issue..... Disney World has quantity, Disneyland has quality. Yes I'm biased because I grew up with Disneyland, and didn't go to WDW until last fall for my CP- but I was disappointed with quite a few things as far as quality goes. You will absolutely love DL, and even though DCA isn't exactly up to par with DL or the MK, it's still a decent park. There are some fun things to do, but you can get it done in a day.

In my opinion, dining isn't better at DLR or WDW- they both have their good and bad locations. Here are my favorites around the resort, but again, just my opinions! If you're in the parks, I've found that DCA has the better variety of counter service locations....

DL-
*Plaza Inn- my absolute favorite!! on the end of Main Street on your right hand side right before you enter Tomorrowland
*French Market in NO square- I think NO is pretty accurately themed, but then again, never lived there so you'll have to let us know!
*Blue Bayou- make sure to get reservations early
*Dole Whip Stands- just as good as WDWs

DCA-
*Pacific Wharf Cafe- cross the bridge over the pond area across from the wine places
*mexican grill- (don't remember the exact name, but right next to the Pacific Wharf cafe)
*Catch-A-flave- on the end of the boardwalk on the way to Ariel's Grotto (the restaurant, not the M&G location)- has really good ice cream
*Farmer's market- near Bug's Life area-has the standard chicken strips
*Taste Pilot's Grill (by Soarin' Over California)-new one I tried a few weeks ago- the only place I'll get burgers in the parks
*Schmoozies- fantastic smoothies, in the Hollywood Backlot area

DD-
*La Brea bakery-light lunch or snack-on your right hand side before you exit DD and go through the bag check to get back into the parks.
*Tortilla Jo's- good mexican food
* Rainforest Cafe- same as any other RC. some love it, others hate it

DL Hotel-

*Goofy's Kitchen- best character dining (good food and good character interaction- because it's rare to get both!) in my opinion, with Liberty Tree Tavern at WDW coming in close 2nd. very good mix of characters- usually Goofy, Minnie, chip & dale, and two faces. Sometimes very random characters instead of those four though, and quite common to see Alice and the Mad Hatter-always hilarious!
*Steakhouse 55- fancier and great for couples, although I've seen huge families and kids in there before

As for the Disneyland hotel itself, I stayed there when I was in high school and our student council went to a convention over there-From what I remember, it was nice, but not overly fancy or anything. Like others have said, it's nothing to write home about, but it's by no means a dumpy hotel. Not comparable to the Grand Californian or the Contemp, but it all depends on how important the hotel is to you. For me personally, I don't care much about the hotel because I don't spend much time in it- I like it to be within walking distance of the park- but there are plenty of non-disney hotels that are. I know that for some people though, the hotel is a main part of their "disney experience" so...?

whew.... hopefully that all helps! And now I think I'll go look at my calendar and plan the next time I can get over there- I think I miss it just a little bit.. ;)

primetime52

In my experience, I've found that people who tell you not to go to DL because of its size are usually people who have never actually been to DL! (like my parents and friends who told me I was crazy when I announed that I was heading across the country for a visit). It's true that DLR has less parks and less land, but this isn't a reason not to visit. They do an amazing job working with the little land they have. Size isn't a reason NOT to go.... it just might be a reason to spend a few less days there.

Disneyland Park is better overall with more things to do than MK at WDW.

DCA isn't the greatest.... but it's alot better imo than DHS/MGM at WDW.

Downtown Disney is also pretty good at DLR, not sure which DTD I prefer between WDW and DLR.

As for New Orleans Square, I agree that it's an excellently themed area. The only Disney theming that might be a little better is Africa at Animal Kingdom.

If you and your family are huge Disney fans, it's definitely worth visiting DLR. It's alot of fun to compare the duplicate attractions, and also to experience some great new ones. You will gain an all new perspective for the next time you visit WDW.

MainSt1993

P9150903.JPG

Above was the theme park view from our room at the Grand.

DAKOTADISNEY

We loved DL because it was our first Disney park and it was not overwhelming to our children. We were able to walk everywhere easily. We were also impressed with how clean the two parks were. If we dropped a few kernels of popcorn on the ground, a CM was there to sweep it up. Not that WDW wasn't clean but we noticed that little difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom