Congress Questions Next Gen

gsimpson

What a colorful albeit rather bazar discussion. Disney has always said participation is optional. I could be wrong but it seems unlikely that Disney uses some type of enhanced interrogation to get the facts you choose not to disclose. Last I checked Disney World is private property, with no legal requirement for any to ever enter, so the problem is wholly and completely avoidable by not going. Having said all of that, let’s get a little perspective, the ID bands DO NOT contain you credit card or personal info, they simply contain a very large number that looks up your data in a data base, so if someone steal you band they aren't going to have the ability to drain your bank account or know you SSN. The old "key card" hotel room locks record every time a key is inserted and the door is opened from either side, that information is easily retrievable from the locks, every time you use fast pass, a credit card, or the key to the world you have always been tracked. There are surveillance cameras everywhere, and I know that systems such as Nicevision and OSSI can track individuals as they move from camera zone to camera zone and "follow them" through recordings. This is nothing be another distraction from a congressman that would prefer no one notice that his party refused to even consider a budget for several years, but don't worry about that... Disney is trying to market to your kids. In my humble but cynical opinion this will be solved when Disney does exactly what the congressman desires and donates a sizable chunk of cash to the appropriate campaign reelection committee.

mgf

An unidentified Disney spokesperson has apparently responded:

A Disney spokesperson released the following statement: "MyMagic+ is a completely optional program. Disney’s privacy policies and practices are fully transparent and guests can choose whether or not to participate in MyMagic+. In addition, guests control whether their personal information is used for promotional purposes and no data collected is ever used to market to children. MyMagic+ is designed to make a visit to Walt Disney World more personalized, seamless and customized than ever before.

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/disn...8268138/-/15hd8djz/-/index.html?absolute=true

According to The Hill it was Angela Bliss.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-v...over-disney-plan-to-track-kids-with-bracelets

Pixiedustmaker

This is nothing be another distraction from a congressman that would prefer no one notice that his party refused to even consider a budget for several years, but don't worry about that... Disney is trying to market to your kids. In my humble but cynical opinion this will be solved when Disney does exactly what the congressman desires and donates a sizable chunk of cash to the appropriate campaign reelection committee.

I have to say I'm surprised that this congressman is worried about this given everything else facing the country, and given that he's from Mass . . . kinda a long way from Orlando. I guess important questions were asked, but obviously the media is following this and it hasn't even been deployed yet! Kinda a waste of time if he and his staff are trolling for something that they can sensationalize, versus doing what really needs to be done to help the country, IMHO.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

A Disney spokesperson released the following statement: "MyMagic+ is a completely optional program. Disney’s privacy policies and practices are fully transparent and guests can choose whether or not to participate in MyMagic+. In addition, guests control whether their personal information is used for promotional purposes and no data collected is ever used to market to children. MyMagic+ is designed to make a visit to Walt Disney World more personalized, seamless and customized than ever before.

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/disn...8268138/-/15hd8djz/-/index.html?absolute=true

DAMAGE CONTROL

GrumpyFan

This whole thing just seems like it's growing hugely out of proportion. Honestly, I'm not understanding all of the paranoia. I believe Disney is smart enough to avoid the kinds of privacy messes that Facebook, Google and Instagram have had with their liberal policies towards user's data. BTW: All of which sell far more personal data than Disney ever has, or likely will.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This whole thing just seems like it's growing hugely out of proportion. Honestly, I'm not understanding all of the paranoia. I believe Disney is smart enough to avoid the kinds of privacy messes that Facebook, Google and Instagram have had with their liberal policies towards user's data. BTW: All of which sell far more personal data than Disney ever has, or likely will.
But you're being reasonable and logical... That's just silly! ;)

HMF

This is basically PR Speak for "Guests can choose to opt out but they will be treated to an inferior experience."

HMF

People gotta realize that this whole data mining is already happening.

Google tracks history to customize advertisements to what you like. Facebook knows what websites are open in other tabs on your browser to customize your advertisements. Smartphones track location. iPhone/iPads with Siri record everything you ask it.

It's 2013...privacy is now a thing of the past.
and we should just accept that and not even attempt to question if it's wrong.

Rasvar

Hehe, you'd be surprised at the levels of data mining the gov is doing right now on it's citizens.

I know they data mine. They just know a heck of a lot less about me than a company like Facebook. The fact that their systems can take some of the most spider web thin connections between me and someone I had only a causal relationship with over a decade ago that lives 2000 miles away from me and suggest them as a friend only tells me how much info they have on me.

GrumpyFan

Not saying it shouldn't be regulated, just that I don't think Disney is as worrisome in the manner that some think, with regards to tracking your individual moves. I really don't think they care where you specifically go or what you do in the parks, they just want to know what the masses are doing and buying and attempt to influence and improve upon that all the more for both them and you.

As some as referred to what is happening on the WWW concerning "this is already being done arguement"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public...m_Rep_Markey_and_Barton_--_W3C_--_6-19-12.pdf
You could read this- co-authored by the congressman.

While I see your- "They been doing it for years"
I raise you a "that doesnt make it right"

This raises a question in my mind- why the co-chair didnt sign on with this letter to Mr Iger?
Discuss amoungst yourselves.

We are in a times- when technology is advancing faster than goverment can govern it- the cart is before the horse and it loaded full and heading down hill.

AVPTI

You probably use one of the products I listed. Therefore agree to their terms.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But we, the people, have let it happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom