Congress Questions Next Gen

dcibrando

Regardless, Disney (and others such as Retailers, Google, Apple, Restaurants, etc.) have tracked and profiled us for years without the use of RFID technology. What's the difference?

EXACTLY!

I work in the world of IT... you're tracked WAY more than most people realize. This Disney "thing" will not cause harm

ParentsOf4

Since you are dealing with a topic that includes both historical data collection, capturing a personal ID in data points, location services, AND people's fears of being explicitly followed...

I suggest your usage of the term 'tracked' is ambiguous and causing more confusion because it can be interpreted as part of location following and/or simply historical data collection.

What you are really talking about here with this data collection you are going on about is more accurately described as PROFILING. That makes it clear you are not talking about location services or other 'find me' type activities.

Using descriptive terminology that avoids confusion would help you in communicating your point.
Choose whatever euphemism you want. Iger himself called it "location information".

flynnibus

Premium Member
Choose whatever euphemism you want. Iger himself called it "location information".

He also used the term 'GPS' - the use of a word in a complete document doesn't mean the word is freely interchangable throughout the document. What you are trying to describe is not what Iger was discussing. You're just creating more confusion time and time again by using terms that infer other meanings when you switch gears in what you are talking about.

rioriz

Each person needs to make this decision individually but, as I suggested here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/congress-questions-next-gen.858932/page-18#post-5297534

Each person needs the information necessary to make an informed decision.

You are talking about allowing a private corporation to track your movements. Once you accept that premise, where do you draw your line? Is it OK if you are tracked in a store, at a mall, at school, on public roads, in your hotel room? Where do you draw your line in the sand?

I've suggested that with WDW, the precedent has been set. Eventually, we can be tracked anytime anywhere.

Again, I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint, but I do not hold a similar one when it comes to WDW. There are so many ways in todays world for people to "track" me if they wanted and I am involved in some i.e Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram. Not to mention my credit card company knows more about my whereabouts than anyone.

The basis is I do not fear Disney. Not now and probably not in the future. It would seem to be naive of myself to not think, if they wanted to, the gov't could track me down any second they wanted. I fear that, not Disney. Being "tracked" as you put it will not influence my fun at any park. As I have stated before I have used the bands in other parks so maybe I am just used to the process and I know he ease that came with it.

Jimmy Thick

Honestly, I think Bob's retort to the Congressman was absolutley studly. Iger kicked him in the crotch.

Jimmy Thick- Hey Congressman, billion dollar company being big brother, um sure.

ParentsOf4

Again, I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint, but I do not hold a similar one when it comes to WDW. There are so many ways in todays world for people to "track" me if they wanted and I am involved in some i.e Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram. Not to mention my credit card company knows more about my whereabouts than anyone.

The basis is I do not fear Disney. Not now and probably not in the future. It would seem to be naive of myself to not think, if they wanted to, the gov't could track me down any second they wanted. I fear that, not Disney. Being "tracked" as you put it will not influence my fun at any park. As I have stated before I have used the bands in other parks so maybe I am just used to the process and I know he ease that came with it.
Thanks. It's OK that we don't have the same opinion. However, I suggest that we need Disney to provide us with open and honest information so we can make our own choices.

As the protest over NextGen continues, Disney continues to release "new" information while claiming they are not releasing anything new. Meanewhile this information is difficult to find and not in one location. You might feel comfortable with this approach. To me, it suggests Disney cannot be fully trusted on this matter.

Rose&Crowner

Just wait til phase 2 kicks in... Non-resort guests will have to wear silly hats with big red and white stripes on them! :p

Please tell me you're joking here?

Of course I am.

"I hate being punished for not making ADR's,now I can't eat at Be Our Guest" or "It's so unfair that they're cutting in front of me with their FastPasses that they made sure they had before they ran out." Or more to the point, "I hate being punished for not doing what Disney recommends to make my experience better, I'll just put my tinfoil hat over my head and cry."

SirLink

Honestly, I think Bob's retort to the Congressman was absolutley studly. Iger kicked him in the crotch.

Jimmy Thick- Hey Congressman, billion dollar company being big brother, um sure.

Wait why? Why is this a good thing surely any government should have more power than a corporation ... or have I entered Wonderland where things are backwards ... I wish over here we had elected officals talking that way about more companies frankly...

GrumpyFan

The scope and pervasiveness of MagicBand is new.
As far as I'm aware, Disney is the first to attempt something like this on this scale.

You've never heard of Apple or Google? The iPhone and pretty much every Android based phone made in the last few years has GPS location services built in which allows them and the government or any would-be hacker to track you down to within a 10-15 foot radius if you're using one of these products.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's often not the "first" that matters; it's the "first" to get noticed that matters. Disney is internationally known and is pushing its millions of guests to wear bracelets with tracking technology. (Yes, I will continue to use the word tracking because it is possible to locate someone with MagicBands.) As far as I'm aware, Disney is the first to attempt something like this on this scale.

You were talking about the situation when someone Opts OUT of the bands.. and now you are conveniently sliding back to the situation where they DO have the band. You're changing the playing field whenever you please as necessary to support your point. Your ambiguous terminology and this sliding back and forth makes a convenient screen to allow you to move the goal posts whenever needed.

muteki

Luxury/Convenience comes at a price. Every other business does this, and we've accepted it. The airlines charge more for a premium (first class) experience, or to carry more luggage. The rental car company charges more for a bigger (luxury) car. You want a room with a bigger bed, you have to pay. Why is Disney any different? I still don't get the "tracking" argument though. What are you concerned with about their ability to "track" you?

In the scenarios you mentioned, the possibility exists for me to book a coach ticket, or a compact car, for lesser cost.

With MyMagic+ and FP+, there is no lesser cost option. I'm paying the same price whether I opt-in or not.

dcibrando

...with tracking technology. (Yes, I will continue to use the word tracking because it is possible to locate someone with MagicBands.)

The bracelets may have magic in the name, but they are not magical GPS's and Bob Iger is sitting in the train station watching you every move on a PC screen. It will know what you buy, where you have been (not necessarily where you are exactly), etc. Ya know... like your credit card or your photopass card does now without RFID technology. I just can't figure out why so many people are getting their panties in a wad over this. If we only knew what all was being tracked on us right now that isn't Disney.

palminnie

I plan on bringing a bag (EZPass bags work reasonably well) that I can put the magicband or card in which blocks the RFID info from getting out. I will only take the card or band out when I am entering the park or need to use it to enter a ride or pay for an item purchased. They also sell wallets that block RFID.

lazyboy97o

I plan on bringing a bag (EZPass bags work reasonably well) that I can put the magicband or card in which blocks the RFID info from getting out. I will only take the card or band out when I am entering the park or need to use it to enter a ride or pay for an item purchased. They also sell wallets that block RFID.
So you're going to block the tracking but allow it at many of the readers which allow the tracking?

palminnie

So you're going to block the tracking but allow it at many of the readers which allow the tracking?

I don't want to be tracked throughout Disney property. Therefore, I will take it out to enter the parks and put it away. I don't plan on using the FP+ option and will most likely make purchases with my credit card or cash instead of my room key. I find all of this tracking an invasion of my privacy. You have the choice to participate, I can choose to limit my participation.

Skyway

If the public "accepts" what Disney is doing, others will follow. Disney is the test case that will determine what other corporations do for decades to come.

THIS.

Imagine if Walmart instituted the same technology. They would know when YOU (not just a generic customer) walked through their door. Based on previous visits and the date, they know you might soon be in need of some more feminine hygiene products and text you a coupon as you approach the aisle. Your previous purchase of some appetite suppressants, cupcakes, and your visit to the sporting goods aisle without buying anything might suggest you are trying to lose some weight but can't make the commitment. So it preys upon your weakness and sends you a text telling you about the new desserts they just got in. As you approach the toy aisle, an employee (who may or may not have a criminal record) greets your children by name and mentions that they just got a shipment of
new Barbie dolls that would go great with the ones you bought on your last visit. Little Sally starts crying because she wants one but can't, aggrivating that migrane you've had all morning. You head over to the pharmacy aisle to pick up some aspirin. After waiting a few minutes in checkout, you see a helpful Walmart employee has brought some additional feminine hygiene products, aspirin, and that Barbie doll in case you changed your mind. He also mentions that the McDonalds in the store has great milkshakes you and your kids would love.

Far-fetched scenario? Maybe. But probably just as far-fetched as a 1970's Disney World guest hearing that someday they would need to wear a tracking bracelet to visit the theme park.

Disney could inspire others to use this technology, just as those smaller water parks and cruise ships inspired Disney to use it.

Buried20KLeague

No one is forcing you to eat at Le Cellier
No one is forcing you to ride Space Mountain
No one is forcing you to go to Disney World

My understandig is Disney is going to limit the amount of FP+'s just like the do FP's so you and I will be able to ride Space Mountain and live in harmony

Your arguments are always so rational and really add positively to the discussion. You should post more.

I wait with baited breath to view your "I know you are, but what am I???" counter-point to xdan's completely off-the-wall predictions of FP+ availability that he says are based in "reality" by simply viewing what's happened to dining at WDW and intimating that it stands to reason that this program will follow the same course. He's INSANE, right?!?!?!?!?!? That xdan. Trying to predict the future by looking to the recent past. He's nuts!

Clearly Disney Parks Management knows exactly what we all want and need as guests in their Happiest Places on Earth. In the immortal words of Kent Brockmann... "I, for one, welcome our new NextGen Overlords". ALL HAIL FP+!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now where did I put my brand new Uni AP??? Hmmm...

lazyboy97o

I don't want to be tracked throughout Disney property. Therefore, I will take it out to enter the parks and put it away. I don't plan on using the FP+ option and will most likely make purchases with my credit card or cash instead of my room key. I find all of this tracking an invasion of my privacy. You have the choice to participate, I can choose to limit my participation.
Your credit card is still on file and traceable. The RFID card is also passive and cannot track unless you take it out and use it.

Buried20KLeague

Granted, nobody likes standing in long lines, but I have a hard time calling this "punishment". Disney isn't "punishing" you, any more than they are when you choose not to buy a soft drink or purchase a souvenir, you are simply choosing a less than premium experience. The hard part in this is that they are removing something that was a feature that was free, well, it was included as part of your admission, now they're just attaching a price to it.

A soda or souvenier is ancillary to the parks experience. For virtually everyone, the attractions are not.

The primary reason that people attend their parks is about to become rationed.

THIS.

Imagine if Walmart instituted the same technology. They would know when YOU (not just a generic customer) walked through their door. Based on previous visits and the date, they know you might soon be in need of some more feminine hygiene products and text you a coupon as you approach the aisle. Your previous purchase of some appetite suppressants, cupcakes, and your visit to the sporting goods aisle without buying anything might suggest you are trying to lose some weight but can't make the commitment. So it preys upon your weakness and sends you a text telling you about the new desserts they just got in. As you approach the toy aisle, an employee (who may or may not have a criminal record) greets your children by name and mentions that they just got a shipment of
new Barbie dolls that would go great with the ones you bought on your last visit. Little Sally starts crying because she wants one but can't, aggrivating that migrane you've had all morning. You head over to the pharmacy aisle to pick up some aspirin. After waiting a few minutes in checkout, you see a helpful Walmart employee has brought some additional feminine hygiene products, aspirin, and that Barbie doll in case you changed your mind. He also mentions that the McDonalds in the store has great milkshakes you and your kids would love.

Far-fetched scenario? Maybe. But probably just as far-fetched as a 1970's Disney World guest hearing that someday they would need to wear a tracking bracelet to visit the theme park.

Disney could inspire others to use this technology, just as those smaller water parks and cruise ships inspired Disney to use it.
Not a far fetched scenario, 2 of the biggest supermarkets in the UK (Tesco and Sainsburys) already hold all the data on previous purchases which is linked to your loyalty card that you swipe at the checkout. Both Supermarkets give coupons based on what you usually buy, eg. diapers and baby clothes if they can tell from previous sales that you have a baby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom