Congress Questions Next Gen

dhall

For ride interaction a passive RFID reader in each ride vehicle could identify who the riders are to trigger a name inclusion. A reader as you enter a specific room at a M&G could give the character a name through an ear-bud or on a out of slight-line to guests screen. My thinking is that readers will pick up when you enter a shop and send SMS suggestions/coupons geared to your shopping profile to your cell. All relatively cheap to implement and don't require constant tracking of guests. Databasing individual locational events with profile checks in near-real time and actually convolving them all into tracking information for each individual guest across property are two entirely different beasts.

They are two different beasts. Companies (generally) that deploy systems like this are very aware of the possibility of message fatigue, so they limit the number of messages that they send to any particular customer, and try to ensure that each customer gets the most potentially profitable messages that that customer is most likely to respond to. Even the one off SMS you're suggesting on a store by store basis has to be applied at Disney's scale to all of the stores that you might enter. They figure that out by statistical modelling all of the movement data about you and all of the other thousands (millions over time) of guests that share your demographic characteristics.

Disney wants to generalize how large groups of guests behave under various conditions, and they want that information in much more detail than the current financial data allows. This stuff has implications beyond just the messaging delivered to guests -- they'll use it for operations, staffing, layout, product mix by location, etc, and be able to observe in detail how each groups' behavior changes over time and as a result of new layouts, more/fewer CMs, etc.

GrumpyFan

Pry off topic but, how does this technology cost 1 billion+. That's a lot of money for what they seem to be getting
That's a good question, that a lot of people are asking. I'm not sure that anybody outside of Disney really knows the answer, but, the short answer is that it involves a lot of different pieces, much of it is new uses for existing technology that Disney is seeking patents for. Also, there is a lot of network technology being implemented as well as software development to support the new technologies. All new turnstyles for all the parks, door locks, readers at the rides and in stores and restaurants, plus a major upgrade to the wireless and wired network infrastructure at WDW. Needless to say, the scope of the project is huge, and not entirely known by outsiders.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Except, y'know, that Facebook and Amazon don't know exactly where you are and what you're doing at every moment of the day.

Regardless, this ought to make for one of the more interesting broadcasts on CSPAN...

Except for users that constantly update their locations by checking in at various stores, restaurants, theme parks, etc. And to boot, many of the same users allow almost anyone to view their posts.

Not a fan of any of it, don't use Facebook much but when you sign up and use any store card it allows them to track every purchase and tailor their advertising on your specific purchases, or items you might purchase and if you combine it with a store app, they can and do know when you are in their store.

I look forward to hearing what Disney says, I am willing to bet they offer as little as possible but try to highlight customer service and enhancing the customer experience as their "primary" objective. In my opinion, the real goal is to provide more time for you to shop and dine instead of standing in standby queues.

Magenta Panther

Meanwhile, Iger thinks/says: "son of a gun, those rotten dipsticks sabatoged my plan. Now how am I going to explain this to congress/the press!" Meanwhile, on the night of February 13: "Dang it I still can't find a way to beat/correct this. I Should've never signed off on this thing. Must of had too much pixie dust in my scotch the day I drank and okayed it." I can just picture the reaction he'll get from certain parkgoers when he and Staggs are roaming the WDW parks next week. He'll be avoiding the general public as much as possible. Should be interesting indeed.

I hope what you say comes true for SO many reasons...

Lord_Vader

After reading the document all the way through, I can't help wondering if Iger's a bit nervous at this point... or at least is looking a lot closer at just what he got into when signed that $1.5 billion check. The honest answer to nearly all of the committee's questions makes Disney look pretty guilty on all counts, and at this point I'm wondering if Iger was even informed of the full details of NextGen or the legal implications involved. I can't help but be reminded of the fiasco surrounding the Aulani resort, and the DVC prez not being fully aware of Hawaii tax laws when determining the resort expenses, which resulted in one very angry Iger and some execs getting fired. Could something similar end up happening here?

Good to know. Some of the posts around WDWmagic can be a bit misleading.

There is a 2.4GHZ transmitter also built into the band, although not a GPS any device transmitting could be tracked. I doubt very seriously that DIsney is planning to track guests with the bands though as the bands have a disposal battery and given the size/weight limitations it has to be small and would not provide enough power to be active all the time, especially given that they plan for Annual Passholders to use them as well.

In addition, the amount of data flowing into the network would be very high if every guest band was transmitting constant location data. The system would simply have too much data to effectively process at the individual guest level, but would be extremely effective at analyzing large groups and test incremental changes and their effects in near real-time. This alone potentially makes this entire project very interesting.

Magenta Panther

I foresee the day when Disney will tear down all the buildings in its park and just give tourists 3D simulator glasses. Rides, shows, fireworks - none of them will be real - it'll all will be in 3D CGI. Think of the savings (for Disney - prices for guests, of course, would continue to go up)! And what a boon for guests! No more walking from attraction to attraction! No more sore feet! No more scooters! No more strollers!

...okay, I can dig no more strollers, but the above illustrates my worst Disney next-gen nightmare...

Lord_Vader

Besides all the privacy issues everyone is discussing, the one additional sound byte that every media outlet will pick up on will be the difference in experience as to whether you opt in or not. As of now, we all expect that that answer is a "diminished experience" as a previous poster put it. I can't imagine that Disney wanted their message to be "give up your privacy and get better service", but it looks like that's what their going to end up with. It will definately turn into a PR disaster, especially when a few miles up I-4, Universal has just started one of the best ad campaigns I've seen from them in a long time (they're running some great ads in the Northeast-I assume they're running everywhere). I can see their future ads now...."Awesome rides-No bracelet needed!"

And it will only cost an extra $19.99 per person!

Lord_Vader

This is basically PR Speak for "Guests can choose to opt out but they will be treated to an inferior experience."

What Disney is saying is that by allowing us to access a bit of data on how you spend your vacation time and money at WDW we will give you FastPass+, a streamlined dining reservation system, much better apps than most available and free WiFi in the parks.

People give a lot more information in return for coupons and direct marketing from Best Buy, Kroger, Target, WalMart, Walgreens, etc.

Lord_Vader

You're right. About adults.

Can someone please give me one example...A SINGLE EXAMPLE...of a reward card issued to a child younger than 12 years old in their name that they have full control to use.

I'm not talking about mom and dad signing up for an additional airline miles card so when they travel Little Sally also gets points, or the discount card mom gets at Build-A-Bear.

Because even if parents voluntarily sign their children up for MyMagic online (which may very well be legal consent, we don't know yet), the fact remains that the child is "sharing" personal information when they walk into a store or attraction.

Is that the same as a parent giving Little Sally permission to fill out surveys on a website?

Or does it cross the line into illegally coercing data out of a non-consenting minor?

And even if it is legal, is it ethical? (Would it be ethical for a Disney employee to wave over a child and whisper questions to them without their parents listening in?)

It's never been done before quite like this on this scale and will certainly test the boundaries of the law.

If purchase children's items at any store with a rewards program they could probably tell you the sex, approximate age/grade level and general likes and dislikes of your child(ren) as well as their names, hair color, school(s) and more if they do a quick poll on Facebook.

The marketing will be pointed at you because you have the money.

ParentsOf4

What Disney is saying is that by allowing us to access a bit of data on how you spend your vacation time and money at WDW we will give you FastPass+, a streamlined dining reservation system, much better apps than most available and free WiFi in the parks.
You mean things they already include in the price of admission without having to wear a bracelet with two passive RFID chips and an active radio transmitter?

Maybe if they want the information so much they could simply offer free admission? If they did that, then NextGen would quickly become the most popular WDW initiative in its entire history.:)

Genie of the Lamp

I hope what you say comes true for SO many reasons...
Me to, I hope this slaps Iger in the face and possibly cost him his job before he retires. I find it funny that Eisner's legacy is based on decisions he made during the last few years during his tenure as the TWDC CEO. I forsee the same scenario being the case for Iger.

Lord_Vader

Yes we did get that figured out. My wife and I decided to hold off our tirp a bit longer in hopes of paying off student debt. It stinks to be responsable sometimes, but it will only make our trip better when we actually make it. Thanks again for your help.

I have to agree that it would be great for the company to focus more on stong storied attractions, but I feel that this technology when fully implimented will allow the company to get the best of both worlds. From a business standpoint the more infomration Disney has the better it will be able to create new experiances. The company has been doing this seince Disneyland opened, but now it will be in a different scale.

I agree completely. Innovation at Disney is not always specifically directed at theme park rides, did you see the animatronic figure playing catch?

Lord_Vader

You mean things they already include in the price of admission without having to wear a bracelet with two passive RFID chips and an active radio transmitter?

Maybe if they want the information so much they could simply offer free admission? If they did that, then NextGen would quickly become the most popular WDW initiative in its entire history.:)

They do include FastPass right now but the ADR process is much, much better now than it has ever been, WiFi is relatively new to the parks and the active transmitter can't be too active or it won't last very long (I hope.)

;)And attendance would be out of this world!

Lord_Vader

some of us do realize this, and again.
1. I do not attach charging to my card, thus eliminating that connection.
2. I am an adult, not a child- I understand that tracking me is allowed and happening.
3. I do not have a smartphone app which, when used, allows them full permission to market to my underage, and previously off limit children. (luckily, I don't have a smartphone at all, but that is another story)
4. They cannot track my physical presence (and my children's) beyond the fp kiosks and charging.

Even if I did not have kids, this would scare me, and comparing it to adult tracking is not the same. The fact that using the "my disney experience" app gives free reign, and that most people would not even question Disney, gives them free access to tracking and compiling data on kids. It is sleight of hand, and it makes me seriously question the few values I thought disney had left.
I am not a tin hat type, I am not an IT expert, and I am not scared of the internet and all data-mining as a whole. I am probably the "average" type of disney guest, perhaps slightly higher income/intelligence, perhaps not.

Unless you put charging privileges on your child's bracelet Disney won't have a clue what your child is purchasing and if you make a room reservation they already have access to your credit card, children's ages and names, etc. If you use FastPass with your tickets they can track what rides you are on, etc.

The new technologies only make this process faster and more streamlined at a high level, nothing new except the smartphone app. Up until recently there were only third party apps available from various sources, who knew what they were doing with all that GPS data.

Lord_Vader

The problem is that nothing Disney is going to do is illegal nor does it do anything that numerous other big name companies do not do otherwise.

And millions of people that will gladly post all this information publicly on the internet and will more than gladly provide it to Disney in return for a MagicBand.;)

Lord_Vader

What's potentially illegal about you telling Disney how old your child is if you agree to their terms of privacy? Nothing. Where is it federally mandated that you have to go to Disney? Nowhere. Are you picking up what I'm putting down? It's not your right to tell a privately held company how they operate, it's a privilege that they allow you to go there and play by their rules. If you don't believe me, ask Adam the Woo.

Here here

Lord_Vader

This is a key point. Even if people agree to get the magic bands they might not know exactly what they are agreeing to. There are ways companies can cover themselves legally, but still make if hard to the customer to truly understand what they are signing up for. Look at Facebook for example. Why do you think the privacy controls have been so complicated? Because it's not to Facebook's advantage for you to keep your information private, so they want to give the appearance that you can control your privacy, but in the end a lot of people won't understand it and will get the settings wrong. When companies introduce new things like this it never hurts to let them know that people are watching and questioning what they are up to.

I completely agree. Facebook's entire focus is getting you to provide them marketing data to sell to other companies for marketing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom