Confused about AAA Discount????

RyMelEm

Ok, so I always see posts on here about the AAA discount. I don't know anything about it so I need a little clarification. :shrug: Specfically-

1.) What is the discount percentage? 5% or 10%?
2.) I know you have to be a AAA Member to get the discount but who do you get the discount from? Do you book though WDW Travel and they discount everything or do you have to book with and use a AAA Travel Agent?
3.) If you have to book thur AAA Travel Agent do you still get the same prices and perks as if you booked with WDW Travel?(i.e. Room Rates, Magical Express, Dinning Plan?)
4.) Anyone have a "Bad" Experiance booking thur AAA?

Thanks guys!

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
I took my first trip in 2007 and booked thru my local AAA office. I saved a BUNDLE (at least $800)!!! My AAA travel agent got me the BEST deal on air $250 RT from Ca to FL! She got us great seats on the plane (we were upgraded for FREE to 1st Class when we got to the airport but thats because we chatted up the agents at check in) and if I had any trouble while I was there, I had her number to call. I will be using her for my next trip to WDW as well which is not for a long time :cry: (but the reason is NOT beacuse of the price of gas :eek:) so YES use AAA!

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I took my first trip in 2007 and booked thru my local AAA office. I saved a BUNDLE (at least $800)!!! My AAA travel agent got me the BEST deal on air $250 RT from Ca to FL! She got us great seats on the plane (we were upgraded for FREE to 1st Class when we got to the airport but thats because we chatted up the agents at check in) and if I had any trouble while I was there, I had her number to call. I will be using her for my next trip to WDW as well which is not for a long time :cry: (but the reason is NOT beacuse of the price of gas :eek:) so YES use AAA!
You have a wonderful travel agent, and that's a wonderful thing to have!

But her "wonderfulness" stems from her own self and not from the fact that she's an AAA travel agent. Unfortunately, I can't second your recommendation of the AAA travel agency as a whole.

But like I said, finding a great travel agent anywhere is a great thing. I used to have one (he since left the field), and I really really miss his insights, knowldege and abilities.

Upvote 0

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
You have a wonderful travel agent, and that's a wonderful thing to have!

But her "wonderfulness" stems from her own self and not from the fact that she's an AAA travel agent. Unfortunately, I can't second your recommendation of the AAA travel agency as a whole.

But like I said, finding a great travel agent anywhere is a great thing. I used to have one (he since left the field), and I really really miss his insights, knowldege and abilities.

Well, I have booked MANY types of trips through different AAA Travel agents in different locations and all of them have been wonderful. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience though.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

We booked our first two trips (March 2005, 2007) and our next trip (March 2009) with a CAA agent here in my hometown using my mother-in-laws AAA membership (she comes with us each trip), but our agent never asked us for her AAA membership card number when she made our reservations. I am just wondering if we really got any sort of discount or not then. When we booked our room-only reservation at POP back this past March for next March, the price basically looked the same as it did when I checked it out online. Should I get a hold of our agent and tell her to give Disney (more specifically, POP) our MIL's number or just wait until August when we change it over to Magic Your Way package deals instead. :shrug:

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

We booked our first two trips (March 2005, 2007) and our next trip (March 2009) with a CAA agent here in my hometown using my mother-in-laws AAA membership (she comes with us each trip), but our agent never asked us for her AAA membership card number when she made our reservations. I am just wondering if we really got any sort of discount or not then. When we booked our room-only reservation at POP back this past March for next March, the price basically looked the same as it did when I checked it out online. Should I get a hold of our agent and tell her to give Disney (more specifically, POP) our MIL's number or just wait until August when we change it over to Magic Your Way package deals instead. :shrug:

First I would wait until Aug/Sept to speak with your agent as currently there is no AAA offer released for 2009. Historically, the new year offer is released about 2 weeks after the new year room rates are finalized.

If you booked directly with an AAA travel agent, as long as they knew you were members, you would not need to show the card to the Resort Front Desk upon arrival. Your Agent would be solely responsible to verify your membership at the time of booking. Again in the fall when the new rates are released and you modify to a package, be sure to let your AAA Travel Agent know you are travelling with a CAA member and if a discount is available for your room and dates, they will book it for you.

Upvote 0

abbeysmom

We just joined AAA, (We just got the cards yesterday) and if my TA called down there would they honor a discount at this time. We are at AKL Concierge Level. I know they are completely booked because I supposedly got the last room. But I could definately use the 10%!! :animwink: My trip has already been paid for also which I think might be an issue.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi Abbey's Mom, If there are no rooms left to be booked at the resort and room type that you are booked at, I can pretty much guarantee you wont get the discount. The deal is that any discounted offer (including AAA and the one released by Disney, they work the same way) will have a certain number of rooms to be sold at the discounted price. Once they are gone, they are gone and even if you have a room at the regular rate, the discount cant be applied. When you call and ask to have the discount on any offer, basically what they ar doing is putting back your regular priced reservation and taking out one of the discounted ones and giving it to you. Once the number of discounted rooms are depleted, unless more are added in by Disney, they cannot give you the discounted room. It definitely doesnt hurt to call and ask. Also let your agent know if you are flexible with your resort/ room type or dates of stay. That might help. Best of luck, Belle

Upvote 0

abbeysmom

That's pretty much what I thought. I will just stay where I am and be very happy!!! :sohappy: I wasn't expecting a discount when I booked so I will never know the difference.. Thanks. Next time I will definately ask though.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Id call and ask anyhow. It cant hurt and just let your agent know that you dont want to change resorts for the discount but if it is available on the package already booked, go for it!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

RyMelEm

Original Poster
Ok, so long story short I called AAA and they told me it would be 10% off the room price. No discount off of anything else. But here's the kicker- 10% for us is $148 minus the $60 fee to join AAA would only save us $88! Just doesn't seem worth spending the $60 Extra for the AAA membership that we would never use(We have On-Star) Plus I'd rather book with Disney and cut out the middle man.
I'm just wondering how I can get any other discounts. :shrug: I check mousesavers often but most discounts apply to time periods we don't visit during and/or apply to off-site hotels.(We love to stay on property) I'm really trying to make this special because it's my sisiter-in-laws first visit and they don't know if they can afford it! It's so frustrating! :mad:

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Ok, so long story short I called AAA and they told me it would be 10% off the room price. No discount off of anything else. But here's the kicker- 10% for us is $148 minus the $60 fee to join AAA would only save us $88! Just doesn't seem worth spending the $60 Extra for the AAA membership that we would never use(We have On-Star) Plus I'd rather book with Disney and cut out the middle man.
I'm just wondering how I can get any other discounts. :shrug: I check mousesavers often but most discounts apply to time periods we don't visit during and/or apply to off-site hotels.(We love to stay on property) I'm really trying to make this special because it's my sisiter-in-laws first visit and they don't know if they can afford it! It's so frustrating! :mad:

I wouldn't do it. We found a discount code at mousesavers.com that saved us a LOT more than that before. I would either use KK or search for a discount myself. just my 2cents. :animwink:

Sorry, I didn't read all of the other posts.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

First I would wait until Aug/Sept to speak with your agent as currently there is no AAA offer released for 2009. Historically, the new year offer is released about 2 weeks after the new year room rates are finalized.

If you booked directly with an AAA travel agent, as long as they knew you were members, you would not need to show the card to the Resort Front Desk upon arrival. Your Agent would be solely responsible to verify your membership at the time of booking. Again in the fall when the new rates are released and you modify to a package, be sure to let your AAA Travel Agent know you are travelling with a CAA member and if a discount is available for your room and dates, they will book it for you.

Hey, thanks for the advice JPVonDrake. After checking out the package prices from our first two trips, it just didn't seem like we were really getting that big of a savings using AAA. More aware of what the discount should/could be thanks to these forums, so will definitely be looking at the total price come August when we switch the room-only reservation to package deals with them. ;)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

AAA discounts are great if historically speaking there were no other discounts offered in that time frame. Otherwise the discount packages offered by Disney tend to be a better deal. Belle

Upvote 0
OK, answer me this.
I booked 2 rooms only last week through Disney for Jan. 09. The prices for that month have not been released yet.
Once the prices have been published, can I call Disney and have them apply my AAA discount to the already booked rooms?

Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom