CONFIRMED: Kodak Leaving Imagination

GrumpyFan

Just speculation on my part, but perhaps they pulled out due to Captain EO? The whole process of Disney bringing back that show seems to have been driven by Disney management, so it makes me wonder if Kodak simply said, "if you're going to pull an attraction that we helped pay for and put in another/older without our input, then we will not support it". I would think from a corporate stand point it wouldn't make sense either to pay for an something to be re-developed that was a previous attraction. Perhaps, when EO is done, they may re-negotiate a new contract, but I can see this line of thought as very real.

mightynine

Just speculation on my part, but perhaps they pulled out due to Captain EO? The whole process of Disney bringing back that show seems to have been driven by Disney management, so it makes me wonder if Kodak simply said, "if you're going to pull an attraction that we helped pay for and put in another/older without our input, then we will not support it". I would think from a corporate stand point it wouldn't make sense either to pay for an something to be re-developed that was a previous attraction. Perhaps, when EO is done, they may re-negotiate a new contract, but I can see this line of thought as very real.

Kodak sponsored EO back in the day. I just think it's changing priorities for the company, like any other who has dropped sponsorships over the years.

juan

The real reason EO was added was a few Imagineers got together, played the old movie and said "Hey this is still fun. Let's bring it back for a little."

Kodak had no bearing on the original decision.

JWG

An announcement on JII4 be a great thing to save for D23 2011. Just imagine the music suddenly playing and the Dreamcatcher coming on stage. That would be the perfect "DF lives" announcement.

And then they can scale it back to be 1/2 of what they say it will be. Maybe they can "re-announce" FL at the next D23.

Magenta Panther

Perfect for a 3D movie next door too!! Also pull up Pooh's Honey Hunt sometime at tokyo disneyland on youtube. Incredible attraction, its layout, effects, and trackless vehicles would be perfect in Imagination. It has animated effects along the walls, along with incredible surroundings. A mixture of physical and digital this way would be great for a new version of Journey into Imagination. But I doubt we will ever see anything that ornate go into there. Would be nice though.

Oh, I HAVE seen Pooh's Honey Hunt on Youtube, and it's awesome!!!! And it made me mad...because OUR Pooh ride is soooooo lame. We got the ten cent version, and that reeks.

But anyway your idea about a Figment ride based on the Pooh ride system is ubercool. I'd never thought of that, and seriously, it gives me chills. I've seen the original Figment ride on Youtube and it was amazing (I never saw it in person, unfortunately). It seems to me that a ride entitled Journey into Imagination demands a ride system like Tokyo's Pooh, to do it properly.

You're probably right that the suits would never go for it though...I wonder if Lasseter would?

GrumpyFan

Kodak sponsored EO back in the day. I just think it's changing priorities for the company, like any other who has dropped sponsorships over the years.

Perhaps, but I still think if I'm Kodak, and Disney said we want your continued sponsorship (money) to bring back an attraction that you helped us make before, vs. we want your help to create a new attraction, I would say no thanks to the old attraction, even if it is starring Michael Jackson.

aladdin2007

Oh, I HAVE seen Pooh's Honey Hunt on Youtube, and it's awesome!!!! And it made me mad...because OUR Pooh ride is soooooo lame. We got the ten cent version, and that reeks.

But anyway your idea about a Figment ride based on the Pooh ride system is ubercool. I'd never thought of that, and seriously, it gives me chills. I've seen the original Figment ride on Youtube and it was amazing (I never saw it in person, unfortunately). It seems to me that a ride entitled Journey into Imagination demands a ride system like Tokyo's Pooh, to do it properly.

You're probably right that the suits would never go for it though...I wonder if Lasseter would?

I know that video made me mad too!!! They got something incredible as usual, and we got bare bones nothing. Of course I believe Tokyos was a brand new building construction, while ours went into an existing space....anyway yeah just seems like the ride system and layout would be the perfect spot in Imagination. Im not sure Lasseter gives a flip too much about WDW. However Staggs is a new light of hope. I wonder if hes been on Imagination.

David S.

I don't think our version is "lame". It isn't as technologically impressive as Tokyo's, of course, but it is very charming, cute, whimsical, happy and fun; has lovable characters and catchy songs; and does a great job telling the story of Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day! I think it fits well with the other Fantasyland dark rides.

Not meant as an arguement, just defending my 4th favorite attraction in the entire MK, and in some moods it could be higher! ;) (behind at most, only Small World, Splash Mountain, and CBJ!) ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Ding Ding Ding

You nailed it. Kodak pulled out because of EO. They also pulled out of DL's version of EO. Maybe someone in Kodak has a conscience?

GrumpyFan

Ding Ding Ding

You nailed it. Kodak pulled out because of EO. They also pulled out of DL's version of EO. Maybe someone in Kodak has a conscience?

That thought crossed my mind too, but I would guess it's more of a financial decision of not wanting to spend money they spent years ago when they first developed the attraction all over again. They probably looked at it and said any money we could've made from this investment was already realized years ago, and how can we justify spending more money on an attraction we already invested in and have since written off? It's the equivalent of a car dealer trying to sell you your old car that you used to trade in for your newer one 10 years ago. Why would you anybody buy a 20 year old car unless it was worth more than it was 20 years ago or if it will be in a few years. In this case, I think they probably looked at EO and said, no thanks, if you're just bringing it back short term to sell a few t-shirts, we're not interested.

Mr.EPCOT

Oh, whatever, they did not pull out because of Captain EO. You're fooling yourself if you think they left because of the inane controversy surrounding Michael Jackson. If that were the case they wouldn't have sponsored Captain EO at Disneyland for any length of time, much less the 7-8 months it's been since it opened there.

s8film40

Oh, whatever, they did not pull out because of Captain EO. You're fooling yourself if you think they left because of the inane controversy surrounding Michael Jackson. If that were the case they wouldn't have sponsored Captain EO at Disneyland for any length of time, much less the 7-8 months it's been since it opened there.

It's possible they were looking at the numbers and were holding out to see if Captain EO would create a new surge in attendance and then when it didn't they decided it was time to pull the sponsorship. I would think the big factor in the business decision behind a sponsorship deal is calculating the return on investment. In this case they probably factor out the sponsorship cost divided by the attendance numbers. If the attendance falls to a certain point they would be paying a high dollar amount per person who see their ad/sponsorship.

Mr.EPCOT

It's possible they were looking at the numbers and were holding out to see if Captain EO would create a new surge in attendance and then when it didn't they decided it was time to pull the sponsorship. I would think the big factor in the business decision behind a sponsorship deal is calculating the return on investment. In this case they probably factor out the sponsorship cost divided by the attendance numbers. If the attendance falls to a certain point they would be paying a high dollar amount per person who see their ad/sponsorship.

That's very possible. But the idea that Jacksons controversial image was the catalyst isn't common sense. Once they saw that people weren't flooding Guest Relations with complaints, that concern would be precisely nil.

misterID

That's very possible. But the idea that Jacksons controversial image was the catalyst isn't common sense. Once they saw that people weren't flooding Guest Relations with complaints, that concern would be precisely nil.

Yeah, I don't buy that either. There were rumors that KODAK was leaving Imagination even before EO came back at DL. Don't think they have anything to do with each other.

Magenta Panther

I don't think our version is "lame". It isn't as technologically impressive as Tokyo's, of course, but it is very charming, cute, whimsical, happy and fun; has lovable characters and catchy songs; and does a great job telling the story of Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day! I think it fits well with the other Fantasyland dark rides.

Not meant as an arguement, just defending my 4th favorite attraction in the entire MK, and in some moods it could be higher! ;) (behind at most, only Small World, Splash Mountain, and CBJ!) ;)

Well, it's cool that you like it. But just look at Tokyo's version. Ours could have been so much more. :(

WDWFigment

Agreed. I don't like the idea of cashing in on Jackson's death given his image, but you have to separate your personal feelings from reality. Makes your position all the weaker when you try to bend any tenuous occurrence to your beliefs.

On the topic of Journey into Imagination, anyone see last night's tweet that someone ran into Tony Baxter at JII? Not sure what to make of that...

BrerFrog

Agreed. I don't like the idea of cashing in on Jackson's death given his image, but you have to separate your personal feelings from reality. Makes your position all the weaker when you try to bend any tenuous occurrence to your beliefs.

On the topic of Journey into Imagination, anyone see last night's tweet that someone ran into Tony Baxter at JII? Not sure what to make of that...

I didn't see that, but that is definitelt interesting. If there is one man that can fix the mess created by Fitzgerald, that man is Tony Baxter.

NoChesterHester

I saw the tweet. Fairly interesting development considering Baxter's executive position and also being one of the few recognizable figures at WDI for the general fanboy. I would think him being spotted could very well mean something.

Isn't he in charge of Disneyland? What would he be doing in WDW (if not on vacation which I doubt).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom