CONFIRMED: Kodak Leaving Imagination

RSoxNo1

Disney isn't going to be replacing or repurposing World Showplace (aka Millennium Village) anytime soon. They make way too much money renting it out for special events right now and it's the only place on property to have such a facility to rent out for events inside one of the parks. Directly behind the building (to the left of it in the picture above) is the enormous kitchen and events offices for the catering of events in that building.

I actually felt that an entrance to Soarin to the Right of Canada would be better.

DarkAshnet

Hey guys, I'm new!

I've been going to Disney every year since i was like 17 (2006), 10 hour flight sucks though!

My girlfriend & I LOVE THE FIGMENT RIDE! We go on again and again, but I agree as there is rarely ANY queue for it. I hope it doesn't go :(

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Disney isn't going to be replacing or repurposing World Showplace (aka Millennium Village) anytime soon. They make way too much money renting it out for special events right now and it's the only place on property to have such a facility to rent out for events inside one of the parks. Directly behind the building (to the left of it in the picture above) is the enormous kitchen and events offices for the catering of events in that building.

I know. That's why I said it was "my dream". As it happens, I actually agree with having such a facility to rent out inside the parks -- it's a great idea and I'm sure it is very profitable. In fact, I'm surprised they don't have such a facility at every park.

Bravo 229

Here's The Orlando Sentinel's article about it:

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/09/kodak-cuts-ties-with-epcot-pavilion/
Not much new in there, but no changes to the pavilion might be a good thing (not closing) or a bad thing (no changes)

The article doesn't give the attraction much hope, other than remaining open. Walking through it the other day, it was kinda sad when you go through ImageWalls and it feels like you're in a Kmart that just closed down. The old photo desk area looks the worst, because there is so much open space with hardly anything in there. Hopefully this a sign that something is going to happen, because there isn't much magic left in there. Maybe TDO's Idea Bag isn't full yet, so they can't return to the Dreamport? :rolleyes:

MiklCraw4d

Jim Hill speculated that Soarin' over the World could be in the cards after a film made it's way to Japan.

FWIW, the Soarin' building for Tokyo DisneySea is currently being designed. Don't know about the film, don't know about any greenlight status or anything else. I just know that the building it would be housed in is under development.

Looking at that map of EPCOT, I'm still mesmerized by how bizarre the sightlines are. I need a 3D rendering to understand how the Soarin' building is so insanely prominent behind Canada, but invisible elsewhere.

raven

Looking at that map of EPCOT, I'm still mesmerized by how bizarre the sightlines are. I need a 3D rendering to understand how the Soarin' building is so insanely prominent behind Canada, but invisible elsewhere.

If you are across the opposite side of the lagoon from Canada (say in Germany or Italy) the Soarin' building is very obvious. They painted it a very light blue as to blend in with the sky on most people's photos. But there are other buildings around the property that are visible from inside the parks as well. I just don't know why people are so uptight about being able see this particular one.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If you are across the opposite side of the lagoon from Canada (say in Germany or Italy) the Soarin' building is very obvious. They painted it a very light blue as to blend in with the sky on most people's photos. But there are other buildings around the property that are visible from inside the parks as well. I just don't know why people are so uptight about being able see this particular one.

Fanboys convinced the evil TDO did it on purpose to ruin their panoramic photos of the lagoon.....:rolleyes:

MiklCraw4d

Yeah that was the vista I was talking about. It's weird you can't see it from Future World, but it looks *enormous* behind Canada. Guess it's because the forced perspective on the mountains makes it look larger than it is.

As for being uptight about seeing it, it's hard to deny that it throws off the very careful scaling of the Canada pavilion. It's not that you can see a show building, but that it messes up a specific effect. Sure it's not as egregious as the Swolphin, but it's there...

Fanboys convinced the evil TDO did it on purpose to ruin their panoramic photos of the lagoon.....:rolleyes:

Sheesh I was just commenting on the difference in perspective from different locations...

trr1

Kodak has officially pulled its sponsorship

Kodak has officially pulled its sponsorship from the Imagination! pavilion in Walt Disney World's Epcot. This pavilion is home to the attraction "Journey Into Imagination with Figment" and the "ImageWorks" interactive play area. No reasons from either company were provided as to the reason for this change. Kodak has also stepped down from its role as sponsor of the theater that is currently housing "Captain EO" in Tomorrowland at Disneyland.

Disney says the only noticeable changes to guests will be the removal of Kodak signs from these areas. Behind the scenes, several employees in the pavilion were contracted through Kodak and they will be given the chance to apply for other Walt Disney World jobs.

The film and camera company has been partnered with the Disney company since Disneyland opened in 1955 and this partnership is still in place. Kodak will remain the sponsor of "Mickey's PhilharMagic" in the Magic Kingdom and continue selling Kodak products in the parks. The popular "Kodak Picture Spots" will also remain in place throughout both resorts.

Spokesmen for both Disney and Kodak have released statements regarding the changes. "Our alliance partnerships are ever-changing, and this adjustment reflects the dynamic nature of the sponsorship business," Disney World spokesman Zoraya Suarez said.

"We continue to have a positive, productive relationship with Disney, and we are discussing possible future collaborations," Kodak spokesman David Lanzillo said.

Tom

Beta Return
Kodak has officially pulled its sponsorship from the Imagination! pavilion in Walt Disney World's Epcot. This pavilion is home to the attraction "Journey Into Imagination with Figment" and the "ImageWorks" interactive play area. No reasons from either company were provided as to the reason for this change. Kodak has also stepped down from its role as sponsor of the theater that is currently housing "Captain EO" in Tomorrowland at Disneyland.

Disney says the only noticeable changes to guests will be the removal of Kodak signs from these areas. Behind the scenes, several employees in the pavilion were contracted through Kodak and they will be given the chance to apply for other Walt Disney World jobs.

The film and camera company has been partnered with the Disney company since Disneyland opened in 1955 and this partnership is still in place. Kodak will remain the sponsor of "Mickey's PhilharMagic" in the Magic Kingdom and continue selling Kodak products in the parks. The popular "Kodak Picture Spots" will also remain in place throughout both resorts.

Spokesmen for both Disney and Kodak have released statements regarding the changes. "Our alliance partnerships are ever-changing, and this adjustment reflects the dynamic nature of the sponsorship business," Disney World spokesman Zoraya Suarez said.

"We continue to have a positive, productive relationship with Disney, and we are discussing possible future collaborations," Kodak spokesman David Lanzillo said.

You probably could have posted this without all the links to that other site...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom