Confessions of a Disney Jack Sparrow...

dragongirl

They aren't supposed to hold babies or sit with a child on their knee? That's interesting...as I have photos of those things happening with my own toddler.

So, what are all the rules, exactly? It'll amuse me next time.

It takes a little bit of effort to rack up 23 points in 7 months, so I don't get the complaint on that part. That would take calling in 23 times over the 7 months or being late 46 times or some kind of combo of both which would still be pretty excessive

Point systems in CA and FL have different values. In FL, I understand it's 1 point per call in and .5 per tardy, correct? In CA it's 3 points per call, 1.5 per tardy. So really, it could be more to the effect of 7 call ins, rather than 23.

Castle Cake Apologist

Point systems in CA and FL have different values. In FL, I understand it's 1 point per call in and .5 per tardy, correct? In CA it's 3 points per call, 1.5 per tardy. So really, it could be more to the effect of 7 call ins, rather than 23.

Yes, at WDW a call-in is 1 point and you can get three days off on the same point. Tardies are halves, even after one second past the end of your walk-time. There are other ways to get points, for safety reasons and such... but different kinds of points cannot be combined to make one reprimand.

Dragonrider1227

I can definitely understand being annoyed by these rules, but i've seen quite a few videos of other parks try to do what Disney does without those rules and it just doesn't work. The strict rules may suck, but they're needed.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'm not big on the whole "rules" thing. While I understand a lot of them are just small things that could result in a lawsuit from Disney, it seems that so many of them could stem from a character just trying to make someone's day. It'd be a tough job, though, that's for darn sure.

kcw

But I am wondering what other CMs with similar jobs think about it.

Here ya go....

I am glad you posted this. Disney thought it bad that he attended a premier in costume? What do they think of this kind of press? I hope CNN picks it up as I find some of the Disney Co's rules draconian and cruel.

Draconian and cruel?!?!? hahaha Hardly.

They aren't supposed to hold babies or sit with a child on their knee? That's interesting...as I have photos of those things happening with my own toddler.

So, what are all the rules, exactly? It'll amuse me next time.

Technically... no, characters aren't supposed to do those things. Holding children is a safety issue, and sitting, laying on the ground, putting knee down isn't good on the costumes. BUT like someone else mentioned, characters will risk things because it makes for better character interactions- and for the most part, they won't get in trouble. There is a little bit of a double standard- as you might find in other jobs. If you're a good cast member (or employee), you work hard, and never give them any issues, a boss/manager/whatever is more willing to look the other way when you bend the rules slightly. However, if you've consistently called in, been lazy at work, or been a general pain in their side, you better believe they'll get ya when they can. This guy obviously felt like he was above all the rules from the get go, and in the end, it got him. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He asked for it! Disney's rules are strict, but that's real life- too many people are just plain lazy. You might not always agree with them, but you just have to suck it up, and stay on the good side so you'll be ok when you slightly bend the rules.

As for the point system- you have to work pretty hard to get fired for points. I've worked there for about a year and a half (granted, the greater part of that has been on a seasonal status), and over that time I think I only had about 2 or 3 points. I clocked in a little early a few times, and then I called in a personal day once. And now, all of those points have been wiped off my record. Show up to work, on time, and you'll be fine.

So basically, I have no sympathy for him. :shrug:

lebeau

It's a shame. It sounds like the guy was a good Jack and he seems to have really had a passion for the job.

However, even reading his own account of what happened, he was clearly to blame for his own firing. He knew the rules going in. He acknowledged that he knowingly broke them.

It's a shame he can't get a second chance before 5 years. But I don't blame Disney for this.

disneydiva72

That was really interesting, thanks for posting.

About 2 years ago we were at MGM and my son was 6 at the time and loved the Power Rangers, so of course we went to the signings, the power rangers would come out on their big car, get off and be set up at different points in "New York".....well, there was a woman there, at least my age (in her 30's) that was just NUTSO for these guys!! She would try to talk to them and take up all their time, she would hug them WAAAAAAAY too close, talk about them like they were real...she even tried to buddy with my son because he was getting alot of attention from all the rangers because he was wearing his Power Ranger costume....finally I asked her to step away....it was probably the freakiest experience I ever had in a Disney park.

myspaceicons145.gif

haha, i read this article and was more amazed about the park guests then anything "Jack" had to say. Do people really act like that? is that a disneyland thing, cause i havent seen that kind of character obsession in wdw. i mean i know DL is more of an AP type of guest park, but a mother and daughter who come practically every day and go through the meet and greet lines several times?! offering the guy certain "services"? does that happen to other face characters?

Ilovewishes

Really, not posting pictures of yourself in costume is not alot to ask and yet he couldn't even abide by that rule? IMHO, he asked for it and got what he deserved!

As for the reactions of some of the guests, whilst they are very extreme, I remember being a little disappointed that my DH insisted on being in the picture with me & Jack...:lookaroun:lol:

Phonedave

Technically... no, characters aren't supposed to do those things. Holding children is a safety issue, and sitting, laying on the ground, putting knee down isn't good on the costumes. BUT like someone else mentioned, characters will risk things because it makes for better character interactions- and for the most part, they won't get in trouble. There is a little bit of a double standard- as you might find in other jobs. If you're a good cast member (or employee), you work hard, and never give them any issues, a boss/manager/whatever is more willing to look the other way when you bend the rules slightly. However, if you've consistently called in, been lazy at work, or been a general pain in their side, you better believe they'll get ya when they can. This guy obviously felt like he was above all the rules from the get go, and in the end, it got him. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He asked for it! Disney's rules are strict, but that's real life- too many people are just plain lazy. You might not always agree with them, but you just have to suck it up, and stay on the good side so you'll be ok when you slightly bend the rules.

As for the point system- you have to work pretty hard to get fired for points. I've worked there for about a year and a half (granted, the greater part of that has been on a seasonal status), and over that time I think I only had about 2 or 3 points. I clocked in a little early a few times, and then I called in a personal day once. And now, all of those points have been wiped off my record. Show up to work, on time, and you'll be fine.

So basically, I have no sympathy for him. :shrug:

Thanks for clearing that up. I suspected that is how it works, but was not sure. When I started here I was a "boss" of a crew. Sometimes things people did just amazed me. For example, the rule was to do something in a certain way - it could be for safety reasons, it could be for accounting reasons, it could be for technical reasons you dont understand - but the end result is that I am asking you to do something in a certain way. If it's not dangerous, and you are getting paid to do it, then why can't you do it. If you want to know why the rule exists, then ask, and I will explain it. If you still think its a silly rule, then talk to me, and if it can be changed, then let ME as the boss work on that. But no, people just would go off and do what they wanted, risking a very well paying job. It just amazed me.

-dave

bgraham34

It was a good read, very interesting. I felt really bad for the guy. I have heard a story sort of like this once before from another castmember.

Ilovewishes

Yeah, kinda ruins the whole Disney magic thing.

Why is Ariel kissing Jack when she married Eric? Are Ariel and Eric getting divorced after everything they went through to be together?? :veryconfu

DisneyDreamerK

Original Poster
I'm not a prude in any way shape or form, but if I'm looking though my Disney goggles, thats really inappropriate, funny, but inappropriate.

But I am getting a kick out of Sparrow the Pirate dating Ariel the Mermaid, its so perfect. :lol:

Hmmm...sounds like a great movie idea.... lol

JessicaB

On one hand I feel bad for the guy. But on the other not so much. Some of the rules he broke are common sense rules. Don't post pictures of yourself. Don't go to a big Disney premiere in costume and give an interview. I can understand clocking in late or calling in a couple of times things happen. But the rest could have been avoided. Maybe he picked up the rules don't apply to me thing from some of his fans.:lol:

InfernalPenguin

I love the fact that the guy talks about how he thought it was gonna be terrible, but everyone was nice about it and he misses it. It actually makes me see disney in a better light.

Until recently I've tried to avoid "corporate" Disney, because of all the horror stories that I've read and all the strictness of it. Granted I fully understand the need for their actions, and I enjoy the fruits of their labor every time I visit the parks..... but whoa, some of the stuff I hear. It's not something a clumsy, absent minded person with a 2 inch fuse dipped in kerosene like myself would bear for too long. But hey.... like I said, they do it for a reason. Last thing people need is me sending the next Splash Mountain log down the chute without remembering there's still one at the bottom.

Hats off to him for even giving it a shot. I considered working the college program like a year ago, and then I saw they don't allow facial hair OR long hair. I'll shave my goatee... but you can pry my mane from my cooooold, dead hands.

On another note though, it seems from the article, and other things I've read, that there's alot of "snitches" at disney. Informers. Huggy Bears. Or did I just read it wrong? Is everybody turning in everybody else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom