Come along w/ Steve to IRELAND

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Last March I received this authentic Irish flat cap for my birthday. View attachment 658233
I think it suits me...but...when I watch Dublin street scene YouTube videos from this summer. You know...video walking tours....not many men were wearing them. I think in generations past they were common but now Irish men are becoming more like American men fashion-wise. Bummer. Well my daughter bought me that Irish cap at my request and sometimes in Ireland I am just gonna wear it anyway...even if it is old fashioned!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think it suits me...but...when I watch Dublin street scene YouTube videos from this summer. You know...video walking tours....not many men were wearing them. I think in generations past they were common but now Irish men are becoming more like American men fashion-wise. Bummer. Well my daughter bought me that Irish cap at my request and sometimes in Ireland I am just gonna wear it anyway...even if it is old fashioned!
I think the hat is classic, and no one would think you're "out of it" if you chose to wear it.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
It won’t be out of place “in the country“, but as you saw, you don’t see many of them “around town” anymore. Wear it on your chauffeured drive to see the cliffs! And make sure to get photos.

My husband has one and wears it here often in the fall & winter, because he likes it and it suits him. My dad wouldn’t wear one if you paid him, he thinks they’re old fashioned (and he’s 90!) 😳 yet I have an uncle on my moms side who passed away last year at 74 and he wore a cap often. You are clearly closer to my husbands age 😉, and I agree, the style does look good on you.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
It won’t be out of place “in the country“, but as you saw, you don’t see many of them “around town” anymore. Wear it on your chauffeured drive to see the cliffs! And make sure to get photos.

My husband has one and wears it here often in the fall & winter, because he likes it and it suits him. My dad wouldn’t wear one if you paid him, he thinks they’re old fashioned (and he’s 90!) 😳 yet I have an uncle on my moms side who passed away last year at 74 and he wore a cap often. You are clearly closer to my husbands age 😉, and I agree, the style does look good on you.
Thanks. Many of the Irish posters on the TripAdvisor Ireland forum encouraged me in a similar manner. I'll wear it as we do the Bray to Greystones Cliff Walk. Yup... Any time outdoors actually and not in the city I will probably wear it 😎

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Don't rain on my parade😂😂
Just trying to keep your feet on the ground, my friend. 😂

My dad, who should know better seeing as he grew up there, is constantly dismayed when he doesn’t get sunshine and 70s whenever he goes “home”. Even though that literally never happened while he lived there. He seems to think the NY climate should follow him over. 🙄

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Just trying to keep your feet on the ground, my friend. 😂

My dad, who should know better seeing as he grew up there, is constantly dismayed when he doesn’t get sunshine and 70s whenever he goes “home”. Even though that literally never happened while he lived there. He seems to think the NY climate should follow him over. 🙄
Well here is the updated forecast...still all 70s.....and since tomorrow is the flight....today is the day for packing.
There is a common expression that goes like this: "Well that's a NICE problem to have ;) "
This is my nice problem:
I don't know what to pack! 😄
Everyone always suggests "Layers"....but I don't want to bring 50 pounds worth of stuff just so I can have "layers". I want to make logical and good choices when i pack.
Here in NJ, if its a Sat. and the forecasted high low to mid 70s and then 57F after sunset...well on those days I'll wear shorts.
Yet in Ireland, 5 or 6 of the days (all but 3 of our days)we will go to various coasts where it will likely be a bit windy and thus feel cooler.
So jeans would make the most sense.
I have a rain jacket with a hood and a windbreaker with a hood.
Ireland is typically High 68 Low 49.....but the forecast is mid 70s and lows in the upper 50s.
That green raincoat I think will often feel too heavy.
I think I'll bring my blue Liberty University wind breaker instead. It is not super light, it will repel Irish drizzle ( but not a soaking rain" and it has a hood.
Yet let me say it again...this "what to pack?"(all jeans? or bring some shorts?) situation is indeed a GOOD problem to have 😄 :cool:20220807_092621.jpg

Last edited:

Lilofan

Well here is the updated forecast...still all 70s.....and since tomorrow is the flight....today is the day for packing.
There is a common expression that goes like this: "Well that's a NICE problem to have ;) "
This is my nice problem:
I don't know what to pack! 😄
Everyone always suggests "Layers"....but I don't want to bring 50 pounds worth of stuff just so I can have "layers". I want to make logical and good choices when i pack.
Here in NJ, if its a Sat. and the forecasted high low to mid 70s and then 57F after sunset...well on those days I'll wear shorts.
Yet in Ireland, 5 or 6 of the days (all but 3 of our days)we will go to various coasts where it will likely be a bit windy and thus feel cooler.
So jeans would make the most sense.
I have a rain jacket with a hood and a windbreaker with a hood.
Ireland is typically High 68 Low 49.....but the forecast is mid 70s and lows in the upper 50s.
That green raincoat I think will often feel too heavy.
I think I'll bring my blue Liberty University wind breaker instead. It is not super light, it will repel Irish drizzle ( but not a soaking rain" and it has a hood.
Yet let me say it again...this "what to pack?"(all jean? or bring some shorts?) situation is indeed a GOOD problem to have 😄 :cool:View attachment 658677
Hope your flight leaves on time. I use Flighttracker to track my plane(s) in recent travels. I heard TSA lines have very long waits but if you paid annually for premier access that might get you through security quicker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom