Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

UNI will never truly compete for top spot in Orlando for attendance but they will make their parks better and will get their numbers up. I just think it's funny how people think Disney will just roll over and do nothing, they made a big mistake putting so much money into MM+ and New Fantasyland's biggest attraction isn't even complete yet and people already are complaining. Yeah it's taking a long time to complete but look at the detail in New Fantasyland compared to Transformers and you will see exactly why it takes so long. People choose WDW for timeless attractions that will be there pretty much forever and UNI in general takes advantage of what is currently popular but in 10 years what is going to still be bringing in guests New Fantasyland or Transformers? I get it we as consumers and guests want more more more but UNI and WDW have a healthy completion where one is clearly the lead dog and the other one has build attractions as fast as possible to capture things that will be popular for a short time. If you think Disney slacks off now imagine what they would be like without UNI if UNI steals enough money than WDW will be forced to answer but until then keep up the good work UNI it makes a better product for everybody! :)

You mean timeless attractions like a FROZEN ATTRACTION!!!! Transformers is one of the highest grossing moving franchises ever with over 1 billion dollars in box office revenue. And the attraction is more state of the art than anything that has come out of Disney in years!!!

Jimmy Thick

You mean timeless attractions like a FROZEN ATTRACTION!!!! Transformers is one of the highest grossing moving franchises ever with over 1 billion dollars in box office revenue. And the attraction is more state of the art than anything that has come out of Disney in years!!!

Hey, quick news flash.

Avatar has made more money by itself than all 3 Transformers movies combined.

Fact.

And now back to the hullabaloo...

Jimmy Thick- Avatar, a bad property? Um, I don't think so...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You know something? Or are you just guessing they have something up their sleeves?

If you walk into the WDI modeling shop, you will see lots of things "up their sleeves". Problem is nothing really has a committed on being funded. I guess, they can, in an emergency situation, hurry up and pick one or more to fund and build quickly.

He's guessing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A false meme based on a false rumor by those who have no idea what is happening behind the scenes.

And at least partly done to force Disney to make more details known because panic.

Mickey would be a great poker player if he ever decided to give up on his show biz gig.

Have the 2013 attendance numbers been released yet?

Hoping Potter phase 2 is the best thing ever so not bashing Uni here. Just keeping it real.

TEA normally doesn't release their numbers until June.

montyz81

If Disney has so many tricks up their sleeves, why is it taking so long for them to get anything done, if they do it at all. I thought I saw a stat somewhere that said it has taken them as long to build the new fantasyland as it did all of Epcot Center (from ground breaking to completion)

janoimagine

Hardly a news flash. Isn't it the highest grossing movie of all time?

Not just Transformers, but Star Wars, Potter, ET, Bond, Disney, Pixar, Bourne....?

Or you just highlighting what you want to again?
Yes, it beat out Titanic by 500 million to the tune of 2.7 billion globally.

But just because it took in a lot of money at the box office doesn't mean it will translate into ticket sales at the parks ... I hope I am wrong but it still seems like a knee jerk reaction to Potter. The only up side to this is that Cameron is more of a perfectionist than the current Disney ever will be and has the balls to stand up to Disney if they try and value engineer the attractions and experience for his IP.

gwhb75

I do remember that and I'm not a fan of WWF, Back then the shows were MUCH better and not simply a bunch of big guys whacking each other with folding furniture and sometimes I watched just to see the entry theatrics which in many cases were more interesting than the match itself.

I think that's something called SHOW - which TWDC has almost completely forgotten about, People do like a high quality SHOW even if they are not directly interested in the subject matter.

Oh the fun we could have if the theme park wars were like the Monday Night Wars

• Have a team of Disney execs drive up to the gates of Uni in a tank
  • Have mystery people knocking out Uni employees and spray painting DWO (as in Disney World Order) on them
In all seriousness, competition does tend to bring the best out of the competitors. I think Disney has gone "unchallenged" for so long that a little competition will be good for all parties (and for us fans)

Matt_Black

Oh the fun we could have if the theme park wars were like the Monday Night Wars

• Have a team of Disney execs drive up to the gates of Uni in a tank
  • Have mystery people knocking out Uni employees and spray painting DWO (as in Disney World Order) on them

The Comcast Exec could claim he's going to fight Iger, knowing full well that he's not going to show up.

gwhb75

The Comcast Exec could claim he's going to fight Iger, knowing full well that he's not going to show up.

Have Iger reveal himself as the CEO of Comcast..."IT WAS ME ALL ALONG"

And, in the end, Disney buys Universal but refuses to use the assets it acquired properly since they weren't Disney developed properties....

Too much inside wrestling talk for a Disney site I think.

Voice of Disney sanity

Not to mention transformers is a franchise that is already 25 years old and sold a billion dollars of toys in the 80s and 90s

rct247

The 90s was so called the Disney Decade in theme parks. The 2010s will probably go down as the Universal Decade. By 2018, Universal will not have overtaken Disney, but will have put up an amazing fight that will probably make Disney look less as a theme park power house and more as an equal to Universal. Disney will be just playing catch up . By 2021-2025, I imagine Disney might finally be able to step up its game while Universal takes a slight rest from all the extremely heavy investments with both companies just competing back and forth here and there.

BryceM

Hey, quick news flash.

Avatar has made more money by itself than all 3 Transformers movies combined.

Fact.

And now back to the hullabaloo...

Jimmy Thick- Avatar, a bad property? Um, I don't think so...

And Jake the Navi' guy thing is more well known and recognized than Optimus Prime!!!! Jake the Navi' guy is certainly more cherished and way more 'timeless' when compared to Optimus Prime!!

Voice of Disney sanity

The 90s was so called the Disney Decade in theme parks. The 2010s will probably go down as the Universal Decade. By 2018, Universal will not have overtaken Disney, but will have put up an amazing fight that will probably make Disney look less as a theme park power house and more as an equal to Universal. Disney will be just playing catch up . By 2021-2025, I imagine Disney might finally be able to step up its game while Universal takes a slight rest from all the extremely heavy investments with both companies just competing back and forth here and there.
I wish everyone would get over this Uni overtaking disney thing...nobody is saying that but the fact of the matter is Uni is stealing business from disney. And that was a fantasy just 5 years ago.

JimboJones123

You know something? Or are you just guessing they have something up their sleeves?

If you walk into the WDI modeling shop, you will see lots of things "up their sleeves". Problem is nothing really has a committed on being funded. I guess, they can, in an emergency situation, hurry up and pick one or more to fund and build quickly.
No kidding. There are 4 brand new theme parks worth of projects that we are fully aware of. I am quite sure that only scratches the surface on what had been mocked up and modeled. I would say we only discuss on these boards 25% of the stuff that WDI modeling shop has put together.

We literally just got a 20 year old Little Mermaid ride. And not the top hanging track one that would be a total marvel. A simple floor track omnimover that offered nothing new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom