Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

ABQ

I think that's something called SHOW - which TWDC has almost completely forgotten about, People do like a high quality SHOW even if they are not directly interested in the subject matter.
Something I hope to get out of the, if it happens and completes in my lifetime, Avatarland. I don't really give two hoots about the movie franchise, but if the land is well presented, a high quality show, I'll appreciate it. I don't care for bears, I don't care for country music, but I do love the Country Bear Jamboree as it's a good show.

R W B

Lets all hope the this lights a fire under the a%% of TDO and makes them actually add rides and attractions that the public wants and I'm not talking about bathrooms, benches or a wristband that will let them track or every habit and move.

Matt_Black

Yes, I remember the Monday Night Wars. Eric Bischoff came out and stated that he was going to aggressively compete with the WWE. By 2001, the company had been driven into the ground and was purchased by Vince for a fraction of what it was worth. A desire to aggressively compete on it's own doesn't mean much.

SirLink

If we are doing what I think we are doing: Vince is/was a Showman to get media attention, the same can not be said for the current Disney Corporation. But if you want do use that comparison the best would be Orlando FlexTicket(WWE) and Disney Tickets(WCW). When viewers started tuning out of WCW Nitro, they were only pushing the old guys(i.e. same old attractions) whilst WWF/WWE were pushing new characters(i.e. groundbreaking technology) which was a hit with the audience.

Matt_Black

Doesn't matter. Point is Disney needs to take the Comcast threat more seriously. That's what I've been saying all along to friends, family, online communities, etc.

You know, Coke took the Pepsi threat seriously in the 80s and that led to New Coke. Maybe instead of worrying about what the competition is doing, they should just focus on what makes Disney World work.

Groxtak

You know, Coke took the Pepsi threat seriously in the 80s and that led to New Coke. Maybe instead of worrying about what the competition is doing, they should just focus on what makes Disney World work.
Which is exactly what I'm talking about. They're not even focusing on making WDW work. Comcast is focusing on making Universal work.

jt04

Which is exactly what I'm talking about. They're not even focusing on making WDW work. Comcast is focusing on making Universal work.

A false meme based on a false rumor by those who have no idea what is happening behind the scenes.

And at least partly done to force Disney to make more details known because panic.

Mickey would be a great poker player if he ever decided to give up on his show biz gig.

Have the 2013 attendance numbers been released yet?

Hoping Potter phase 2 is the best thing ever so not bashing Uni here. Just keeping it real.

Groxtak

A false meme based on a false rumor by those who have no idea what is happening behind the scenes.

And at least partly done to force Disney to make more details known because panic.

Mickey would be a great poker player if he ever decided to give up on his show biz gig.

Have the 2013 attendance numbers been released yet?

Hoping Potter phase 2 is the best thing ever so not bashing Uni here. Just keeping it real.
You know something? Or are you just guessing they have something up their sleeves?

If you walk into the WDI modeling shop, you will see lots of things "up their sleeves". Problem is nothing really has a committed on being funded. I guess, they can, in an emergency situation, hurry up and pick one or more to fund and build quickly.

jt04

You know something? Or are you just guessing they have something up their sleeves?

If you walk into the WDI modeling shop, you will see lots of things "up their sleeves". Problem is nothing really has a committed on being funded. I guess, they can, in an emergency situation, hurry up and pick one or more to fund and build quickly.

People used to make the same complaints about DCA before DCA 2.0 and Carsland were announced. And we know Pandora is happening. Do not be tricked by the cult of doom & gloomers. Turn back before it is too late.

Matt_Black

Do not be tricked by the cult of doom & gloomers.

They don't scare me. After all, look who's officially part of the Disney family now!

indiana-jones.jpg

WDWoptmist

UNI will never truly compete for top spot in Orlando for attendance but they will make their parks better and will get their numbers up. I just think it's funny how people think Disney will just roll over and do nothing, they made a big mistake putting so much money into MM+ and New Fantasyland's biggest attraction isn't even complete yet and people already are complaining. Yeah it's taking a long time to complete but look at the detail in New Fantasyland compared to Transformers and you will see exactly why it takes so long. People choose WDW for timeless attractions that will be there pretty much forever and UNI in general takes advantage of what is currently popular but in 10 years what is going to still be bringing in guests New Fantasyland or Transformers? I get it we as consumers and guests want more more more but UNI and WDW have a healthy completion where one is clearly the lead dog and the other one has build attractions as fast as possible to capture things that will be popular for a short time. If you think Disney slacks off now imagine what they would be like without UNI if UNI steals enough money than WDW will be forced to answer but until then keep up the good work UNI it makes a better product for everybody! :)

WDWLover#1

UNI will never truly compete for top spot in Orlando for attendance but they will make their parks better and will get their numbers up. I just think it's funny how people think Disney will just roll over and do nothing, they made a big mistake putting so much money into MM+ and New Fantasyland's biggest attraction isn't even complete yet and people already are complaining. Yeah it's taking a long time to complete but look at the detail in New Fantasyland compared to Transformers and you will see exactly why it takes so long. People choose WDW for timeless attractions that will be there pretty much forever and UNI in general takes advantage of what is currently popular but in 10 years what is going to still be bringing in guests New Fantasyland or Transformers? I get it we as consumers and guests want more more more but UNI and WDW have a healthy completion where one is clearly the lead dog and the other one has build attractions as fast as possible to capture things that will be popular for a short time. If you think Disney slacks off now imagine what they would be like without UNI if UNI steals enough money than WDW will be forced to answer but until then keep up the good work UNI it makes a better product for everybody! :)
I agree completely

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom