Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

maxairmike

Isn't the Lockheed plot quite spacious? But would require some environmental cleanup?

Actually, that has already been finished or is very close to being finished, as it was being carried out since about 2002 or maybe even a little earlier. You could fit about three IOAs in the whole plot that is undeveloped/not slated for very recent development (i.e. construction is already starting) based on a quick eye of the area.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Actually, that has already been finished or is very close to being finished, as it was being carried out since about 2002 or maybe even a little earlier. You could fit about three IOAs in the whole plot that is undeveloped/not slated for very recent development (i.e. construction is already starting) based on a quick eye of the area.
Correct about this. The environment clean up was started by the company who owned the plot with the help of Lockheed(due to government laws they had to help with the clean up they started)

tribbleorlfl

UO's come a long way from the days of Woody Woodpecker placekicking a Mickey Mouse plush toy through the DPHS uprights and calling it competition.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Correct about this. The environment clean up was started by the company who owned the plot with the help of Lockheed(due to government laws they had to help with the clean up they started)
Good to hear, thanks. I'm sure it will go a long ways in alleviating the concerns some had about Universal running out of space....

ABQ

One significant expansion? Have you seen photos of Disneyland as a "baby". There has certainly been more than one significant expansion.
I guess we have different definitions of significant then. Sure, adding items within the original confines of Disneyland has happened over the years, but until they completely undermined their own parking lot at the turn of the millennium and built California Adventure, I wouldn't consider previous additions to be significant expansion.

StarWarsGirl

To be fair, one could claim Disneyland truly only had 1 significant expansion and it took nearly 50 years to occur. It hasn't been a constant expansion year over year over year.
One significant expansion? Have you seen photos of Disneyland as a "baby". There has certainly been more than one significant expansion.
If I recall correctly, Toontown, Critter Country, and New Orleans Square were all added after the original opening, not to mention Downtown Disney, the 3 hotels, and DCA, and eventually Cars Land and Buena Vista Street being added to DCA. Not to mention countless attractions that have been opened since 1955. To say that it has never had a major expansion is silly.

StarWarsGirl

I guess we have different definitions of significant then. Sure, adding items within the original confines of Disneyland has happened over the years, but until they completely undermined their own parking lot at the turn of the millennium and built California Adventure, I wouldn't consider previous additions to be significant expansion.
They simply don't have the land to make it happen all the time like they could at WDW. That does not mean that they are never expanding or have not improved the park at all since 1955. In fact, it's improved so much that I consider DL to be a better park than MK.

Californian Elitist

I think it's absurd you think California Adventure is the only significant expansion the DLR has ever had.

If I recall correctly, Toontown, Critter Country, and New Orleans Square were all added after the original opening, not to mention Downtown Disney, the 3 hotels, and DCA, and eventually Cars Land and Buena Vista Street being added to DCA. Not to mention countless attractions that have been opened since 1955. To say that it has never had a major expansion is silly.

Exactly. I knew we'd agree on something one day.

ABQ

You may help me see the light on this, but a number of things you mentioned were part of DCA which I obviously believe is a significant expansion. Cars land, Buena Vista Street and the like.
Critter Country was a replacement for the Indian Village, so as so many state on WDW's "expansion" can't be counted as it replaced, not added.
Toontown was an expansion. But honestly, you really consider it major?
New Orleans Square was major, no doubt. So with that, I can adjust my time from 50 years to 40 years between major expansions. Downtown Disney, just as so many around here think of the forth coming Disney Springs, is a shopping mall. If folks don't consider Disney Springs to be significant expansion, then I cannot consider DTD to be so either for Disneyland.

StarWarsGirl

You may help me see the light on this, but a number of things you mentioned were part of DCA which I obviously believe is a significant expansion. Cars land, Buena Vista Street and the like.
Critter Country was a replacement for the Indian Village, so as so many state on WDW's "expansion" can't be counted as it replaced, not added.
But they did add Splash Mountain to that land. And Pooh (which is not as good as the one in WDW, but getting off topic...)
Toontown was an expansion. But honestly, you really consider it major?
Compared to the old MK Toontown Fair, yes. It's extremely well-done. A lot of attention to detail.

New Orleans Square was major, no doubt. So with that, I can adjust my time from 50 years to 40 years between major expansions. Downtown Disney, just as so many around here think of the forth coming Disney Springs, is a shopping mall. If folks don't consider Disney Springs to be significant expansion, then I cannot consider DTD to be so either for Disneyland.
Downtown Disney for Disneyland was completely new. Disney Springs is just a revamp of Downtown Disney with a silly name. You also forget that land is at a premium in DL. It's not like it was easy for them to just plop down a new park. What's more is that there were plans for a second gate 10 years before DCA was built (ever heard of WestCOT?) but a variety of factors brought it down

ABQ

Downtown Disney for Disneyland was completely new. Disney Springs is just a revamp of Downtown Disney with a silly name. You also forget that land is at a premium in DL. It's not like it was easy for them to just plop down a new park. What's more is that there were plans for a second gate 10 years before DCA was built (ever heard of WestCOT?) but a variety of factors brought it down
The land being a premium is what prompted this whole comparison of Uni's current situation and Disneyland. I would assume most are happy Wescot never came to be. As so many poo poo the vast number of clone attractions made between the east and west coast, cloning the entire park would be sad. Though...there is the MK itself which is enough of a clone.....

StarWarsGirl

The land being a premium is what prompted this whole comparison of Uni's current situation and Disneyland. I would assume most are happy Wescot never came to be. As so many poo poo the vast number of clone attractions made between the east and west coast, cloning the entire park would be sad. Though...there is the MK itself which is enough of a clone.....
The MK design is in every Disney park. By no means is it a clone of DL. Yes I am happy that WestCOT never came to be; it makes DL unique. But the fact is that in DL you have 2 exceptional parks while in WDW you have one great park and three that are fine but are in need of more attractions.

lazyboy97o

You might want to look up some historic aerial photographs of Disneyland. The berm has been pushed out a few times and is not a valid reference point for expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom