Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
You can manipulate statistics to support a notion that IOA has outpaced EPCOT, or any other park. In 2009, IOA was languishing, while other parks were pulling in impressive attendance figures. IOA was compelled to come up with a major new attraction, or be left as a second rate amusement park.

I fail to see how solid numbers, one set from the year something opened, and the other the most recent stats available, are "manipulation". Also, please don't throw around that nasty word: "amusement". Yes, it's applicable for Uni AND Disney, but, as neither are "second-class", let's leave that terminology for other parks.
IOA increased because of the new HP section of course, things were so stale before that anything would help and HP was big....but how many of those will be repeat visitors each year like so many do at WDW.

Maybe several...I don't know....but a couple of days at Uni and you've done it all....a couple of vacations at WDW and you still have things you haven't done

Even with being a fraction of the size, I find that Universal has been offering fresh experiences at a much more impressive rate than Disney.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

Even with being a fraction of the size, I find that Universal has been offering fresh experiences at a much more impressive rate than Disney.

of course they have... they needed to...and it's paying off... not surprising and it's good for them for sure

Uni building more faster will pay off for them more than Disney building more faster... because it desperately needed more (and still does)

If Disney built HP just like Uni did, I don't think they would have seen the same # of increased guests because of those, some were possibly already there or going to be there...and some of those that visited Uni were Disney guests that week as well

its a win win for both when both build and expand

nor'easter

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this as a whole. While he does come off as trolling he does seem to genuinely believe what he's spewing err saying.
It's pretty apparent to 95% of theme park fans that WDW is in decline and UNI is improving. Wether or not that hurts WDW in the long run is yet to be determined but as a logical person, I don't see how it doesn't.

Yes, but logic is noticeably absent in Jiminy Thicket's rants.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
but truth be told Uni needs way more to even come close to Disney offerings (and I'm not just talking about rides here)

Anyone who thinks one will overtake the over totally is crazy.

One that will make way more money than it used to and reinvest it? Thats happening.

One that will take guests away from where they used to go? Thats happneing too.

WDWDad13

Yes.

Seriously.

still looks like they are pretty limited though... they could always buy some of the surrounding resorts...but even that space is limited

I assume the highlighted section is theirs?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 73

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
of course they have... they needed to...and it's paying off... not surprising and it's good for them for sure

Uni building more faster will pay off for them more than Disney building more faster... because it desperately needed more (and still does)

If Disney built HP just like Uni did, I don't think they would have seen the same # of increased guests because of those, some were possibly already there or going to be there...and some of those that visited Uni were Disney guests that week as well

its a win win for both when both build and expand

MK has an INSANE number of rides, and Epcot, with the saving grace of World Showcase, can easily take a full day, but DAK and DHS more desperately need additions more than US and IOA. The strongest thing those parks currently have is the "Disney" name above the signs.

Last edited:

BryceM

You can manipulate statistics to support a notion that IOA has outpaced EPCOT, or any other park. In 2009, IOA was languishing, while other parks were pulling in impressive attendance figures. IOA was compelled to come up with a major new attraction, or be left as a second rate amusement park.
While attendance figures weren't as high as Disney parks, IOA was never a "second rate amusement park".

71jason

I always wondered if it would benefit Uni to purchase SeaWorld and make that part of their vacation package offering as well

At this point, I don't think Sea World lives up to the Universal brand. Frankly it needs a DCA-like overhaul. Of it's last three rides, two (Turtle Trek and Antarctica) were duds, the third (Manta) is probably the most polarizing in Orlando. And the park still struggles to find its identity between the educational years under Harcourt and the thrill park years under Busch. Nor would transportation be easy--they may be close, but that real estate between is heavily developed.

I think a water park makes sense for Universal. Or a revamped CityWalk that finally captures the vibe PI and Church St. Station had. Possibly a third gate, especially a smaller park geared to younger kids. All of these make more sense to me than acquiring SW. (Now if they could somehow get Discovery Cove ...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom