Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

Funmeister

Ah so nice to see your magical posts this morning! :) I've missed you

I'm not gonna compare apples to oranges....but truth be told Uni needs way more to even come close to Disney offerings (and I'm not just talking about rides here) and they are going to run out of room way before then so....

I like how Uni is doing all they can with the room they have though. Impressive for sure but the steam in that train will stop when they run out of track down the road

Ahhhhhh so what you are saying is Disneyland will ALSO "stop when they run out of track down the road?"

I am so glad you cleared that up!!!

WDWDad13

Ahhhhhh so what you are saying is Disneyland will ALSO "stop when they run out of track down the road?"

I am so glad you cleared that up!!!

yes... in a way... just like universal at this point... they almost have to remove something to add something (on a large scale anyways)

Disneyhead'71

still looks like they are pretty limited though... they could always buy some of the surrounding resorts...but even that space is limited

I assume the highlighted section is theirs?
Yes. In the left side of the highlighted area is where they currently building the Cabana Bay Beach Resort. The smaller plot between Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific is where Uni's 5th resort will go. It is rumored to be a very high end boutique resort that is supposed to be similar in amenities to The Four Seasons and The Ritz Carlton.

If you look south of I4, Uni recently purchased 55 acres at I-Drive and Universal Blvd. where Wet and Wild and it's parking lots sit. This is rumored to be for 2 large hotels and a new CityWalk like complex. And to be linked to the current resort with a peoplemover or monorail type of transportation system.

And they are rumored to be eyeing more property along Universal Blvd.

WDWDad13

Yes. In the left side of the highlighted area is where they currently building the Cabana Bay Beach Resort. The smaller plot between Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific is where Uni's 5th resort will go. It is rumored to be a very high end boutique resort that is supposed to be similar in amenities to The Four Seasons and The Ritz Carlton.

If you look south of I4, Uni recently purchased 55 acres at I-Drive and Universal Blvd. where Wet and Wild and it's parking lots sit. This is rumored to be for 2 large hotels and a new CityWalk like complex. And to be linked to the current resort with a peoplemover or monorail type of transportation system.

interesting... seems like the wet and wild spot would be a good place to build a nice water park for them...surprised they would build another citywalk like complex though?

the peoplemover or monorail type system would be HUGE and an interesting kick in the teeth to WDW who could do something similar and innovative with transportation between their parks and resorts...but basically stopped with the monorail to epcot and relied on mainly busses from there on

maxairmike

Or large enough to hold a couple of hotels, 3rd CityWalk like complex, a Water Park, Golf Course, and of course, the 3 Theme Park.

All right next to an outstanding hospitality college that was built by the area's hospitality giant and partners with all the biggest names in the industry for courses and learning experiences. Talk about some great opportunities!

lazyboy97o

It should be taught in B-school as a cautionary example of what bad marketing can do. You can build the best theme park in Orlando, but if no one in your target audience knows you did, it will still fall short of expectations.
You're not excited to go to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure next to Universal Studios Florida at Universal Studios Escape?

maxairmike

It should be taught in B-school as a cautionary example of what bad marketing can do. You can build the best theme park in Orlando, but if no one in your target audience knows you did, it will still fall short of expectations.

Along with the Hard Rock Park debacle, but that's for another thread.

Californian Elitist

then please enlighten me - isn't the limited expansion space a similar problem at both Uni and Disneyland?

Next year, Disneyland will have been around for sixty years, and it has not stopped expanding. Disneyland may not have the abundance of space like the WDW parks, but there is space, and where there's a will, there's a way.

Speaking of space, there are claims to be so much space in the WDW parks, but Magic Kingdom, specifically, takes out attractions and replaces them with new ones. If there's so much space, why don't they just make room? Seems they're not efficiently using the space.

SirLink

Next year, Disneyland will have been around for sixty years, and it has not stopped expanding. Disneyland may not have the abundance of space like the WDW parks, but there is space, and where there's a will, there's a way.

Speaking of space, there are claims to be so much space in the WDW parks, but Magic Kingdom, specifically, takes out attractions and replaces them with new ones. If there's so much space, why don't they just make room? Seems they're not efficiently using the space.

$$$

ABQ

To be fair, one could claim Disneyland truly only had 1 significant expansion and it took nearly 50 years to occur. It hasn't been a constant expansion year over year over year.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
still looks like they are pretty limited though... they could always buy some of the surrounding resorts...but even that space is limited

I assume the highlighted section is theirs?
I guess you've been answered. In short:

5th resort next to Cabana Bay.

Possible relocation and consolidation of some studios support areas. IOA still has two expansion pads and other areas that will be utilised soon. Studios has one, being consolidated soon, and both parks have under used theatre areas that could be better used. One or two current attractions are also being looked at for retirement.

Wet n Wild land, parking lots, and some ancillary land is now theirs.

Its no secret they've been eyeing land around Major Blvd east of Kirkman. I believe this is now on the back burner.

There's also the large plot mentioned above (Lockheed) that was theirs, then sold by previous owners, and is now coming back into discussion.

It's also no secret they are looking at a mass transit system to link these or other areas.

Early days but serious discussions.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I guess you've been answered. In short:

5th resort next to Cabana Bay.

Possible relocation and consolidation of some studios support areas.

Wet n Wild land, parking lots, and some ancillary land is now theirs.

Its no secret they've been eyeing land around Major Blvd east of Kirkman. I believe this is now on the back burner.

There's also the large plot mentioned above (Lockheed) that was theirs, then sold by previous owners, and is now coming back into discussion.

It's also no secret they are looking at a mass transit system to link these or other areas.

Early days but serious discussions.
Isn't the Lockheed plot quite spacious? But would require some environmental cleanup?

raymusiccity

It's true. You can already see where some of the footers are for the monorail :)

Captain Chaos

Where is the rumored water park destined to go then? I thought by Cabana Bay, but that is obviously incorrect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom