Coco ride? (Image on new Imagineering Site)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'd think the Imagineers who's specialty is lighting would have a lot of fun/major challenge with doing a Coco attraction. I was super impressed by the visuals in that film.

Kman101

but haven't you noticed a film's staying power has more to do with how much marketing money is thrown at it? Seems like Coco did not get the Toy Story or Frozen treatment... I think they very much control how much a film stays in our consciousness...

It didn't. But then again they were "shocked" Frozen was so popular, weren't they?

Coco's more popular than some realize I think. Especially as others have said, at DCA. But I've also seen large crowds show up for the Coco show in Epcot (that they dumped, then briefly brought back). I don't think merch is flying off the shelves though for it. So I imagine that plays a factor. I also think they didn't want to allocate the budget right now for such a large overhaul of Mexico while everything else is going on. It makes sense to save it for later, along with Figment and other things.

Bocabear

What "Later" are they saving things for? The parks have languished for decades...they need to just get in there and get it all done...
If they wanted to put anything off it should have been the EPCOT spine project....which will add absolutely nothing to your EPCOT experience... Attractions are needed...not more blank green space and rentable party venues.

RSoxNo1

Coco is the most culturally-significant Pixar film for certain, it has appeal for adults and children, the soundtrack is outstanding, and most importantly for the Parks, it has holiday tie-in. Probably the most no-brainer IP integration since Frozen.
Um... Frozen was a no-brainer IP integration? Or did you mean that generally that Frozen deserves to go in the parks (and not Epcot)?

I agree that Frozen absolutely should have an attraction in the parks. I disagree that Frozen should have a ride in Epcot. Conversely, I would have zero issue with a Coco ride in Epcot.

Sir_Cliff

-The film is also, strangely, quite popular in China! Adventure Isle in Shanghai Disneyland has been overlayed with a Coco theme for Halloween for several years and has run several weeks past the rest of the Halloween event as well. The possibility to insert this ride in Adventure Isle would be easy: the land is already a psuedo-Pandora heavily influenced by a mythical culture of spirit animals and guardians of the earth, sea, land, and air. Adventure Isle obviously has a strong connection with the spirit world. Sandwiching a mini-land between Treasure Cove and Adventure Isle would be an ideal spot for the attraction. Knowing Disney, it would be hard to pass up a triple-clone of an attraction.
Coco's popularity in China is also something that has occurred to me as making an attraction potentially more likely. The fact that they are building a Zootopia land there after ignoring it in the US parks shows that they are paying attention to what films have particularly hit with the Chinese market. As Coco was a huge hit for them there (Pixar's biggest, I think), it would be a natural candidate for an attraction. Sharing the costs across the resorts could help this make more sense financially.

Tiana seems to be on the same trajectory. She may not get her own ride, but her presence becomes more and more noticeable (dedicated M&G, featured in the new DVC, featured in HEA, her restaurant on the cruise ship, etc...).
PatF generally is a perfect example of a film that has lived on far beyond what the initial box office of the film would have suggested. In this case, the debate we're having about Coco is different in that everyone acknowledges it was a hit whereas PatF was considered a bit of a flop at the box office. The fact that Coco's presence only seems to be growing in the parks suggests that Disney similarly sees this as having an enduring appeal.

Disney recently ran this really nice television campaign for DCA, for example:

Last edited:

Kman101

What "Later" are they saving things for? The parks have languished for decades...they need to just get in there and get it all done...
If they wanted to put anything off it should have been the EPCOT spine project....which will add absolutely nothing to your EPCOT experience... Attractions are needed...not more blank green space and rentable party venues.

LOL of course. But you know as well as I do they only allocate so much budget. Of course I agree with you ... I'm still not satisfied with Hollywood Studios ... and Animal Kingdom needs more ...

And you have to think like them. "Later" means they can market these new things to keep the momentum going, should they so choose. I'd rather they go all in now but we know they aren't and won't. Even if they should. They are doing a lot in Epcot. You can't have everything have walls, it's "bad enough" according to some. #WallCOT

KimAnnFran

Anyway.

Yes, Coco was a popular movie

Especially in the west coast, if the ride does indeed go to DCA.
Coco's popularity at the Disneyland Resort is something no other non-princess movie has come close to in the last decade

A movie that celebrates an entire culture and seasonal holiday has a built-in long-lasting appeal (especially in socal)
quite popular here among my students....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where? Almost nothing has been added or announced after the film left theaters 2 years ago...

In WDW, first, the merch in the Mexico pavilion. Then the mariachi make their fall set all about Coco. Then they added the Día de los Muertos display with an interactive feature to Mexico. Then they added the Miguel puppet for the Fall mariachi set. Coco gets a big section in the new projection show at DHS.

Over at DCA, they got an even longer Coco Día de los Muertos party with full sized puppets. Then their own party section was supersized.

Each year, something new gets added. I really don't know how you could have missed all of that.

General Mayhem

In WDW, first, the merch in the Mexico pavilion. Then the mariachi make their fall set all about Coco. Then they added the Día de los Muertos display with an interactive feature to Mexico. Then they added the Miguel puppet for the Fall mariachi set. Coco gets a big section in the new projection show at DHS.

Over at DCA, they got an even longer Coco Día de los Muertos party with full sized puppets. Then their own party section was supersized.

Each year, something new gets added. I really don't know how you could have missed all of that.
I said after it left theaters but apparently you missed that. Also seasonal attractions which started during the initial release don't count as new.

disneylandcm

I have. And Coco seems to be like Brave. Yes, people liked it, but the overall appeal just didn’t seem to have a powerful impact.
While I rarely see Brave merchandise being worn at DLR (the occasional princess dress), I do see Coco apparel on guests every day. And the live show performed around Halloween-Time is still well attended. Coco may not have staying power elsewhere but it certainly does here.

wityblack

Original Poster
Regardless, I hope this executes a better story than Frozen Ever After. I don't want a glorified meet and greet for a ride, even if the animatronics are impressive. I think they could really create something that captures the beauty of the Land of the Dead, and the culture, and create a fun adventure, if they really wanted to budget for it.

Pumbaa1222

It didn't. But then again they were "shocked" Frozen was so popular, weren't they?

Coco's more popular than some realize I think. Especially as others have said, at DCA. But I've also seen large crowds show up for the Coco show in Epcot (that they dumped, then briefly brought back). I don't think merch is flying off the shelves though for it. So I imagine that plays a factor. I also think they didn't want to allocate the budget right now for such a large overhaul of Mexico while everything else is going on. It makes sense to save it for later, along with Figment and other things.

Part of the reason merch isn't flying is because it sucks for Coco. As a white person in the Northeast, Coco is one of my I favorite movies of all time. But because of cultural appropriation, I can't go around with a bunch of sugar skulls. I have searched for merch of Pepita, and have found almost nothing. They can do better if they wanted to.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
While I would hope for an edutainment element with a story focused on familia, togetherness and the learning of Mexican culture... we're likely getting a "Where's Miguel?" action/adventure chase ride. One being classic Disney/Epcot the other, ripped from Universal's playbook. A bit early to speculate but it's worth a discussion. What are we thinking for story concept?

For a bit of armchair: I'd like to see a "Wonder Years" approach with the narration and story of Coco being told through a series of flashback-like movie scene tableaus, thrilling chase sequences where needed. Ending with a big reveal that it was grown Miguel telling this story to his children in preparation for their Dia de los Muertos celebrations.

jaxonp

Coco was actually one of the weaker performers in the US market. It did well worldwide but doesn't hold up domestically to older, non-sequel, Pixar Films like UP or Rat when you take inflation into consideration.

Here are the breakdown of Pixar films takings:

That said, I don't see why they wouldn't do this attraction. Makes a lot more sense to do it for many more reasons than just comparing it's performance at the box office.

Last edited:

Kman101

Part of the reason merch isn't flying is because it sucks for Coco. As a white person in the Northeast, Coco is one of my I favorite movies of all time. But because of cultural appropriation, I can't go around with a bunch of sugar skulls. I have searched for merch of Pepita, and have found almost nothing. They can do better if they wanted to.

Oh for sure. A lot of the merchandise isn't very good, agreed. And not to mention how overpriced anything is anymore, nothing is really flying off the shelves like it used to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom