News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

Original Poster
Would it be crazy to suggest the possibility of TSMM going away for this? Is TSMM untouchable? Does Webslingers make it expendable? Is there a reason they haven’t bothered to upgrade those bulbs or whatever is going on making the images on the screens so dim? I know TSMM is the evergreen IP and sells a ton of merch but Anything is possible. I think it’s unlikely with all the new DL Forward space but then again WDW is the size of a city and they decided to put the CARS ride on the ROA. Granted DL is not MK.

One more thing to consider - if a Toy Story Land is in the cards for DL forward than TSMM is very expendable especially if it’s comes with an E ticket instead of a dated shooter. Of course, I’d rather TSMM stick around and they find another way to make it work in Pixar Pier or build Coco its own land as part of DL Forward. I don’t want a Toy Story land and if DLR is only getting one more coaster Slinky wouldn’t be my choice.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Would it be crazy to suggest the possibility of TSMM going away for this? Is TSMM untouchable? Does Webslingers make it expendable? Is there a reason they haven’t bothered to upgrade those screens/ bulbs or whatever is going on? I know TSMM is the evergreen IP and sells a ton of merch but Anything is possible. I think it’s unlikely with all the new DL Forward space but then again WDW is the size of a city and they decided to put the CARS ride on the ROA. Granted DL is not MK.

One more thing to consider - if a Toy Story Land is in the cards for DL forward than TSMM is very expendable especially if it’s comes with an E ticket instead of a dated shooter. Of course, I’d rather TSMM stick around and they find another way to make it work in Pixar Pier or build Coco its own land as part of DL Forward. I don’t want a Toy Story land and if DLR is only getting one more coaster Slinky wouldn’t be my choice.
I don't think its out of the realm of possibilities, but I would personally put it on the lower end with other already discussed areas being first.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I don't think its out of the realm of possibilities, but I would personally put it on the lower end with other already discussed areas being first.

I’m having a tough time visualizing how they integrate Coco with the pier. The other Pixar IP on the pier are flat rides, midway games or exposed steel coasters but with Coco they will be going for a certain level of immersion and theming. Maybe it’ll be something as low key as stepping into a simple unassuming building like POTC at DL.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m having a tough time visualizing how they integrate Coco with the pier. The other Pixar IP on the pier are flat rides, midway games or exposed steel coasters but with Coco they will be going for a certain level of immersion and theming. Maybe it’ll be something as simple as stepping into a simple unassuming building like POTC at DL.
Well if they use the Pixar Promenade stage as the entrance, its not hard to retheme that more if needed for something more Coco themed.

pp062218_56.jpg

Plus it already has a Mexican architectural vibe to me.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I’m having a tough time visualizing how they integrate Coco with the pier. The other Pixar IP on the pier are flat rides, midway games or exposed steel coasters but with Coco they will be going for a certain level of immersion and theming. Maybe it’ll be something as low key as stepping into a simple unassuming building like POTC at DL.

Maybe the facade is a “tunnel of love”?

wityblack

Paris Olympics actually had a negative effect to Disneyland Paris. People think more tourists will arrive but actually they try to avoid.
Yeah, this has been shown for modern tourism during Olympic summers. But, it might be nice to have something under construction that could entice those Olympic visitors to book a trip in a few years.

DLR92

Interesting. In fact, since we will probably lose the Mickey sidewalk due to the eventual bridge over to the Simba lot, if they hugged the backstage road against Disneyland Dr., that would create a lot more space for a show building there:

View attachment 808961

Also gotta consider the eventual walkway from that area to cross the upcoming bridge and that existing gate isn't just for parade floats, but also for emergency vehicles to get in and out, so that access will need to be retained somehow.
Having to walk through that walkway, I wouldn’t be to upset if Disney removed that giant hidden Mickey.

TimeDuck

All evidence to the contrary (including the impact of the 84 Olympics on Disneyland) - but something tells me the 28 Olympics might be a little different.

Travel patterns have changed significantly, and there are many young people who will be traveling here for the very first time. And Disneyland is legendary, and at the top of the list of things "to do" when you come to Los Angeles. Much more so than Disneyland Paris imo. I know all evidence says otherwise, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is much more of an impact on the park than people are expecting.

Whether or not Disney cares about any of that or is factoring that into any of the construction projects is completely up to speculation.

Gusey

Well if they use the Pixar Promenade stage as the entrance, its not hard to retheme that more if needed for something more Coco themed.

pp062218_56.jpg

Remember when Pixar Pier was first announced, concept art showed Pixar Promenade being Pixar Pals Theater. At one pint, they planned for it to be an entrance for an attraction:
1723540758984.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Remember when Pixar Pier was first announced, concept art showed Pixar Promenade being Pixar Pals Theater. At one pint, they planned for it to be an entrance for an attraction:
View attachment 808995
Yep, which is what I've been saying. Also notice what is the "movie" in that little movie poster in the right corner of the building to the right of the "Pixar Pals Theater" marquee, probably coincidence, but.....

Gusey

Yep, which is what I've been saying. Also notice what is the "movie" in that little movie poster in the right corner of the building to the right of the "Pixar Pals Theater" marquee, probably coincidence, but.....
Definitely could be a coincidence... still agree that this is the likely entrance for Coco and Disney probably had blueprints from when they were designing Pixar Pier as to how to get an attraction back there

Aramar

pp062218_56.jpg

That was my first thought when the Coco ride was announced: they would put the ride behind the coaster (maybe removing those backstage buildings) and the entrance would be there.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Nearly all the other concept art had more than one image or images of what the exterior would look like. Coco is probably earlier in development and I’m guessing they might not even know where they re putting it yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom