News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I just think it’s overkill but that could also be because it doesn’t interest me. The difference with the example you provided is that TL is comprised of a mix or original attractions and attractions based on different IP. AC is ALL Marvel superhero characters. One Note.
If a lot or even all of it doesn't interest you then it make sense why you wouldn't want it. Even if its not a 5th attraction there there will be more Marvel at DLR in some forum or another. Even the DLForward concept art had a Wakanda land drawn up, so they appear to have a plan for more Marvel somewhere in the Resort even if its not in AC itself. 🤷‍♂️

I’m definitely open to bulldozing Monsters Inc if that’s what it takes to get a Coco ride and the Doors coaster/ Monstropolis back there but it would make it more sweet if they could find a way to keep it IMO.
With expanding into the Transpo Hub that would put Monsters Inc basically in the middle of the plot of land. Its just an inconvenient location to build around. Which is why I'm more inclined to just demo it and start from scratch, which is why I always liked Avatar going in the Backlot, a clean slate.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If a lot or even all of it doesn't interest you then it make sense why you wouldn't want it. Even if its not a 5th attraction there there will be more Marvel at DLR in some forum or another. Even the DLForward concept art had a Wakanda land drawn up, so they appear to have a plan for more Marvel somewhere in the Resort even if its not in AC itself. 🤷‍♂️

With expanding into the Transpo Hub that would put Monsters Inc basically in the middle of the plot of land. Its just an inconvenient location to build around. Which is why I'm more inclined to just demo it and start from scratch, which is why I always liked Avatar going in the Backlot, a clean slate.

I think you have limited amount of land and a lot of popular IP that doesn’t have representation. IP that would lend itself to better themed environments too. Wouldn’t be my first choice but if there has to be more Marvel then I would want it to be something more other worldly. Then again, if we’re going otherworldly I’d prefer more Star Wars and Avatar.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think you have limited amount of land and a lot of popular IP that doesn’t have representation. IP that would lend itself to better themed environments too. Wouldn’t be my first choice but if there has to be more Marvel then I would want it to be something more other worldly. Then again, if we’re going otherworldly I’d prefer more Star Wars and Avatar.
I guess we'll see what they do in the years to come. I'll hopefully still be alive when it all happens, you too hopefully.

Phroobar

It occurred to me today (and this probably should have been obvious) but I think the real reason the Avatar and Coco locations are in flux is because they have not yet decided on the location of the third park or if they are doing a third park at all.
Does that mean the concept art they came up with was made week before D23 just to give them something to say?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Does that mean the concept art they came up with was made week before D23 just to give them something to say?

I think they know they want to do those lands/ attractions and didn’t want to miss out on the Buzz that comes with announcing them. They just announced them too early during a time where there are a lot bigger things in play with DL Forward. They definitely did not have to announce Coco considering they officially announced two Avengers rides and Avatar (even though they had been teasing/ announcing them for a while). I think the backlot was the tentative plan for Avatar but something changed and is creating a domino effect on the locations of these rides/ attractions. Inside Out 2’s success might also be a factor.

mickEblu

Original Poster
So, would Avatar going to the Disneyland Forward plot be an indication of a third park or that the area is just expansion for the existing parks?

Not necessarily proof of it being a third park but I think at this point it would be more of an indication of it being a third park than it being a DCA expansion. If you think about it they have more to gain by making it a third park. Another ticket you have to buy. More to market and generate buzz. Longer vacation stays. Theme park view rooms and VIP entrances everywhere. No need to get guests across DL Drive. Still though, the third park should go in the Toy Story lot and that’s one funky theme park layout! Could bring some fun/ clever solutions like DLR restraints usually do. Maybe a skyway? Some tunnel that goes under the new DTD entry/ walking path? Hogwarts express style ride between both sides of the park?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not necessarily proof of it being a third park but I think at this point it would be more of an indication of it being a third park than it being a DCA expansion. If you think about it they have more to gain by making it a third park. Another ticket you have to buy. More to market and generate buzz. Longer vacation stays. Theme park view rooms and VIP entrances everywhere. No need to get guests across DL Drive. Still though, the third park should go in the Toy Story lot and that’s one funky theme park layout! Could bring some fun/ clever solutions like DLR restraints usually do. Maybe a skyway? Some tunnel that goes under the new DTD entry/ walking path? Hogwarts express style ride between both sides of the park?
Dunno, you can still do all of that with expansion. So I'm still of the opinion that expansion gives you the same benefits of a 3rd gate but without the need for the guest to buy a 3rd ticket. Which I think is a better sell in the long term especially for consumers that are already cash strapped and feeling like Disney already nickels and dimes them too much. Better in the long term to give park expansion and sell it as increasing the value of their experience, and earn that extra day. You get the same ticket spend as a 3rd gate by the guest adding an extra day because they feel its worth it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Dunno, you can still do all of that with expansion. So I'm still of the opinion that expansion gives you the same benefits of a 3rd gate but without the need for the guest to buy a 3rd ticket. Which I think is a better sell in the long term especially for consumers that are already cash strapped and feeling like Disney already nickels and dimes them too much. Better in the long term to give park expansion and sell it as increasing the value of their experience, and earn that extra day. You get the same ticket spend as a 3rd gate by the guest adding an extra day because they feel its worth it.

Better for us but not better for Disney IMO. A third park is a much bigger deal and I imagine they would open it with a few unused expansion pads so they can keep rolling out new stuff in the future.

Anyway I’m hoping none of this happens. I don’t like the implications on DCA. Also when would Avatar open? 10 years, if it ends up going in the third park? So at DCA we’d just be looking at Avengers and a half @$$ed Coco ride?

CosmicDuck

If Avatar is actually in DL Forward now (I don't actually know either way) - that is definitely best case scenario for the land. That's where Imagineering wanted it. The previous location was a bad compromise.

Also that decision has zero to do with any potential for a third gate one way or the other.

D.Silentu

Also when would Avatar open? 10 years, if it ends up going in the third park? So at DCA we’d just be looking at Avengers and a half @$$ed Coco ride?
This is the rub for me. The best part of this last D23 was hearing that we were getting four new rides, notwithstanding the fact that we knew of two of them. Still, it indicated improvement for a park that has a way to go before it truly feels complete. I enjoyed Avatar but don't need to see a ride at the park, yet it was at least satisfying that it wasn't something akin to Pixar Pier announced. A third park would be a great chance for Imagineers to stick the landing thematically, something that seems beyond DCA. However, for the moment it is the park that is in need of filling out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Better for us but not better for Disney IMO. A third park is a much bigger deal and I imagine they would open it with a few unused expansion pads so they can keep rolling out new stuff in the future.

Anyway I’m hoping none of this happens. I don’t like the implications on DCA. Also when would Avatar open? 10 years, if it ends up going in the third park? So at DCA we’d just be looking at Avengers and a half @$$ed Coco ride?
I don't know if Disney (the executive team) actually really sees an additional gate at either domestic Resort as better for them at this point. I think this is part of the reason you're starting to see the rumors again of Disney building another Resort outside of either Anaheim or Orlando. Easier to sell a new Resort elsewhere to consumers than it is another gate at either existing Resort. In my opinion I really don't think they want to have happen to DLR what is happening at WDW with lower attendance. I mean can you imagine, its already costing a family of 4 upwards of $5k-6k to travel to DLR just for the two Parks for 3-4 days. Add an additional gate and that skyrockets to $7.5K or more, that prices out a lot of people. Plus how many people here say that DLR is not even worth it anymore, even with some of the additions being discussed. You really think a 3rd gate is going to change that, I don't. The economics just don't work out in my book.

Anyways I guess we'll see what happens.

GravityFalls

Epic Universe's is supposedly going to have each of their four lands available to book out for large private events. That's why they were built to be self-contained with separate entrances. Maybe that's the play here as well. The convention center is just across the street. Have these lands open to park guests during the day and convention-goers at night.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If Avatar is actually in DL Forward now (I don't actually know either way) - that is definitely best case scenario for the land. That's where Imagineering wanted it. The previous location was a bad compromise.

Also that decision has zero to do with any potential for a third gate one way or the other.

Agreed best case for the land without a doubt. Best case for DCA I'm not so sure. Then again does it really matter if you're an annual pass holder that has access to all 2 or 3 three of the parks?

What was the ding ding ding about then if it has nothing to do with the third gate? Just in regards to Coco?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What was the ding ding ding about then if it has nothing to do with the third gate? Just in regards to Coco?
Alluding to the fact that its still influx as they still don't know the final location of Coco? Hasn't that been the posters stance with their "insider" information this whole time?

Its starting to turn into a game of whack-a-mole on what is and isn't the rumor these days on these projects.

D.Silentu

Then again does it really matter if you're an annual pass holder that has access to all 2 or 3 three of the parks?
I would posit it does. It sounds like Disneyland Forward's Avatar land will be larger than what it would be possible to build in Hollywoodland. If that's the case, the question is whether the Avatar attraction or the Pandora land is most important. If the ride is most important then it doesn't matter where it goes. If the land matters most then it ought to go into the Disneyland Forward plot. As for me, I believe the ride to be more important and maintain there are better lands to be realized in the larger space.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Alluding to the fact that its still influx as they still don't know the final location of Coco? Hasn't that been the posters stance with their "insider" information this whole time?

Its starting to turn into a game of whack-a-mole on what is and isn't the rumor these days on these projects.

I think that was a different poster if I’m not mistaken.

Sure is but I think a lot of that has to do with how much is in flux and just the fact that Disney doesn’t know what they re doing yet.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I would posit it does. It sounds like Disneyland Forward's Avatar land will be larger than what it would be possible to build in Hollywoodland. If that's the case, the question is whether the Avatar attraction or the Pandora land is most important. If the ride is most important then it doesn't matter where it goes. If the land matters most then it ought to go into the Disneyland Forward plot. As for me, I believe the ride to be more important and maintain there are better lands to be realized in the larger space.

What I meant by that comment was as an annual pass holder does it really matter if DCA doesn’t quite become the full day park we wanted it to be if the attractions still get built in the 3rd gate and we have access to all 3 parks? I think for some of us here DCA is the child we saw grow up and we just want the best for it. Lol. DCA is also the perpetual sandbox for many of us in the fan community.

I think If you want the best Avatar experience possible you put it in Simba. If you can get 80% + the way there in the backlot/ Eastern gateway then maybe the trade off is worth it to have a showstopper in DCA and flesh that park out. Not to mention it opening quicker.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom