News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

Original Poster
I find ticket lettering to be totally subjective and not just a measure of how "good" a ride is, as the original lettering was also based other factors like popularity, crowd control, etc. but I'll at least try and give modern day equivalents.

I would say the Fantasyland dark rides (and Pooh) are B tickets. Monsters Inc., Little Mermaid, Small World are C tickets. A D ticket would be like Star Tours, Nemo Subs, Millennium Falcon.

I think Coco will fall under what I listed as C tickets with better animatronics (which I don't think next gen animatronics necessarily make something an E ticket). Possibly could categorize it as a D ticket if there are drops or more exciting elements than just floating past scenes.

Wow Mermaid? That would be rough. IASW on scale would be good.

BrianLo

Sort of just occurred to me. We keep thinking they'll cut through Incredi-coaster akin to Toy Story Mania to access behind... but what if we just go around it?

Screen Shot 2024-10-05 at 6.17.06 PM.png

It would actually be more technically part of Paradise garden and then also provide visual reprieve for when we are 92 and DCA expands over the road. It also fixes a queuing issue overwhelming the busy Pixar pier.

Last edited:

MistaDee

This is a really great look at how they're conceptualizing the bridge/connection to the Simba lot. It certainly looks like this piece of art envisions a ground level bridge with the road sinking below grade a la the Downtown Disney bridge. I'm also very intrigued by the apparent rockwork facing the DCA side and a "keyhole" created by the showbuildings facing the Simba lot side. That rockwork gives me Neverland vibes for sure.
Sort of just occurred to me. We keep thinking they'll cut through Incredi-coaster akin to Toy Story Mania to access behind... but what if we just go around it?

View attachment 819258
It would actually be more technically part of Paradise garden and then also provide visual reprieve for when we are 92 and DCA expands over the road. It also fixes a queuing issue overwhelming the busy Pixar pier.

This is what I'm tryna say! Showbuilding behind screamin' using as much space as they can, potentially building up a second or third level to leave room for backstage access/small buildings on the ground floor:

68k sq ft behind Screamin' trying to leave room for a backstage access road:
View attachment 818385
Combined with a small Coco village/neighborhood taking over some of the Paradise Gardens space:
a CoCo neighborhood just taking part of Paradise Gardens: 32k sq ft
View attachment 818389
I think combining the partial Paradise Gardens + behind Screamin' areas makes a lot of sense, 68k sq ft is big enough showbuilding for a Tangled size boat ride, with a smaller CoCo village that can house the queue, a nice Mexican restaurant and maybe some good shade + alleyways with CoCo merch. 32k sq ft might be a touch small for all that but they can obviously take as much land as they want to.

It does create quite a pinch point between just past Screamin' but it would be easy enough to have the Coco entrance on the Paradise Gardens side, have the queue go underneath the bridge to Simba or have it go up and over the bridge to get to that second level showbuilding behind Soarin'

Seems like they'll have to have a clear plan of how the Simba lot bridge will work if they want to use the space in that area to its maximum

etc98

Micechat is reporting that they’ve moved Coco to the Hollywood backlot, and Avatar to the Disneyland Forward plot across the street.

I don’t mind that option, but it sounds like they also expect Monsters Inc to stay open. It would be weird to have Monsters right next to Coco. But if it allows them to save the trolley I’d be happy.

The fact that it seems like they can so easily move all these projects around shows a) they’re really not as far along as they portrayed at D23, and b) they really don’t care about theme at all anymore, it’s pick an IP first and just plop it wherever it fits.

I think they reported so matter of factly that Avatar was going into the backlot for months and are now saying it’s in flux due to imagineering in an attempt to save their own accountability.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Micechat is reporting that they’ve moved Coco to the Hollywood backlot, and Avatar to the Disneyland Forward plot across the street.

I don’t mind that option, but it sounds like they also expect Monsters Inc to stay open. It would be weird to have Monsters right next to Coco. But if it allows them to save the trolley I’d be happy.

The fact that it seems like they can so easily move all these projects around shows a) they’re really not as far along as they portrayed at D23, and b) they really don’t care about theme at all anymore, it’s pick an IP first and just plop it wherever it fits.

I like this if true with a couple stipulations. I was ok with the older rumored locations but this would allow for a better transition to Pandora at the Simba lot. Ideally in this situation the Coco ride would take the bus transpo area with a little Mini land. The Backlot becomes Monstropolis with the Doors coaster going in the old Hollywood n Dime/ Hyperion space with the trolley, animation building and Hollywood Blvd surviving. I’ve been saying for a while that it’s shame to lose one of the only family dark rides in the park when they have so much expansion space.

I don’t like this if they’re just adding a small C/D ticket Coco boat ride into the ugly backlot and making it Pixar Pier North but uglier and more uninspired. The rumor is saying the Coco ride is now going in the old Hollywood and Dime building which I don’t think is enough space to do more than a C ticket.

Last edited:

JSouth25

I think theming wise Coco would definitely fit nicer in Pixar Pier, but if this means the trolley can stay and nothing gets replaced, I’ll be good with this.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Interesting, if true. However when was the last time MC scooped a real rumor that turned out to come true? I'm genuinely asking because I can't remember anything recent, at least not post-pandemic.

Anyways, playing devil advocate for a second and assuming this is true a couple things comes to mind.

1. Coco may no longer be a boat ride if going into the Backlot or may not be as grand as we originally thought. As I can't see a whole lot of room available for something huge, even with the expansion into the TranspoHub, if Monsters Inc is sticking around. It's placement just limits what they can do in scale.
2. If no Avatar then what do they have planned for the rest of the Backlot. As I can't see them keeping it as the rundown fake lot that it is now. And I don't see them building a mini-land for Coco with Monsters Inc right next to it. Just not ideal a spot.
3. They wouldn't need to wait until 2026 to start construction on it, they could start as soon as they break ground of the EGW.

Now stick with me, what if MC got their rumors crossed and its Coco that is going into Simba with a whole land being built around the attraction. Could this be the reason why Potrock started talking about DLForward moving forward quickly. It could be for Avatar too, but that appears to already be designed mostly for the Backlot as we discussed in the Avatar thread. So I'm still leaning to Avatar there until otherwise confirmed.

Anyways an interesting development, one I hope we get the answers to soon.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Interesting, if true. However when was the last time MC scooped a real rumor that turned out to come true? I'm genuinely asking because I can't remember anything recent, at least not post-pandemic.

Anyways, playing devil advocate for a second and assuming this is true a couple things comes to mind.

1. Coco may no longer be a boat ride if going into the Backlot or may not be as grand as we originally thought. As I can't see a whole lot of room available for something huge, even with the expansion into the TranspoHub, if Monsters Inc is sticking around. It's placement just limits what they can do in scale.
2. If no Avatar then what do they have planned for the rest of the Backlot. As I can't see them keeping it as the rundown fake lot that it is now. And I don't see them building a mini-land for Coco with Monsters Inc right next to it. Just not ideal a spot.
3. They wouldn't need to wait until 2026 to start construction on it, they could start as soon as they break ground of the EGW.

Now stick with me, what if MC got their rumors crossed and its Coco that is going into Simba with a whole land being built around the attraction. Could this be the reason why Potrock started talking about DLForward moving forward quickly. It could be for Avatar too, but that appears to already be designed mostly for the Backlot as we discussed in the Avatar thread. So I'm still leaning to Avatar there until otherwise confirmed.

Anyways an interesting development, one I hope we get the answers to soon.

Changing the Coco ride system is an interesting thought. Didn’t really consider that as an option but it’s possible IMO. That would be something if they changed the Coco ride to be a suspended D ticket AND we got the Monsters coaster AND still got the Avatar boat ride. Talk about getting my DCA wish list fulfilled.

I think there is plenty of room to have a Coco mini land and D ticket boat ride in the bus transpo area considering what was going to ( or still going in that area) with or without the Monsters Inc building space. Of course depends what you consider to be a mini land but remember the alley that is Adventureland is considered a land. I could see a little transition from Monstropolis with a little Santa Cecilia themed “land” in front of the show building consisting of mostly a shop, eateries and maybe a little plaza.

Last edited:

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Changing the Coco ride system is an interesting thought. Didn’t really consider that as an option but it’s possible IMO. That would be something if they changed the Coco ride to be a suspended D ticket AND we got the Monsters coaster AND still got the Avatar boat ride. Talk about getting my DCA wish list fulfilled.

I think there is plenty of room to have a Coco mini land and D ticket boat ride in the bus transpo area considering what was going to ( or still going in that area) with or without the Monsters Inc building space. Of course depends what you consider to be a mini land but remember the alley that is Adventureland is considered a land. I could see a little transition from Monstropolis with a little Santa Cecilia themed “land” in front of the show building consisting of mostly a shop, eateries and maybe a little plaza.
Imagine if they rethemed Monsters Inc to Coco. Third iteration of the same ride. I wouldn't put it past them, especially if the economy tanks soon.

coffeefan

They could leave Monsters there and just move the entrance to Hollywoodland. I thought this would be possible because why destroy so many buildings that could be repurposed for other uses.

TP2000

I read that too when I was looking for a picture of Haunted Mansion construction just now.

My gut told me not to get too involved in this thread when it was announced at D23 because I thought "This concept is all so vague, it could happen anywhere and at any time in the next 20 years. Or be forgotten in the next executive switcheroo and never happen at all...."

I think I'll stick with my gut instinct on this one.

It's a cute idea, but obviously they have no plans to get started on this ride anytime soon, and don't even know where it will go when they do get started. I'll check back in a few years, but you kids have fun with this one. 😴

luther10

And we can have our own Monstropolis and Tropical America section (red). Yellow line is the monorail reroute. Green shaded area is the door coaster. Purple is a smaller omnimover style Encanto ride ...
Screenshot_20241007-124837~2.png

D.Silentu

Skimming the 'other website's' (Can we say the name now? Years ago I had a post deleted just for mentioning it) rumor, I have to say I'd be disappointed if it comes to pass. As far as I can tell the Disneyland Forward plot is the last word in expansion space for the resort. If that is the case I don't want them to be hasty about what they put there. If they've allocated the space within the current park boundaries they ought to build it out before looking west. I also find it odd that the change supposedly has something to do with crowding. Our discussions here have acknowledged solutions to that. With Epic Universe on the cusp of opening I believe we're about to see theme parks take a leap forward. I'd hate to think that Avatar might take the expansion space of something truly new.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Ok, so say they do put just a (very) small themed Santa Cecilia, in my opinion I don't think you're going to get Monstropolis (at least on the level of DHS) with the doors coaster and Santa Cecilia in this scenario. Because if they put Santa Cecilia with the Coco attraction (whatever it maybe) in the Transpo area with its attraction, that leaves very little space left for a Monstrolpolis land with a coaster plus keeping Monsters Inc. Lose Monsters Inc. and maybe you get the coaster, but its placement just breaks up what can be done with the land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom