News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'd love that. Even if they took out Zephyr and SSS as well as some of the lagoon area there for a Mexican restaurant.

Blue sky moment. What if the mini land housed two attractions? Boat ride in the red area with courtyard. Keep the gardens. Shops and restaurant and more seating where JJ/GZ/SSS are. And where Boardwalk Pizza is having a queue and part of the ride for a suspended ride that flies over some of the boat ride scenes while also having its own isolated scenes. We get a D Ticket and an E Ticket, and an area that feels like NOS with courtyards, restaurants, and shops.

i wonder how hard it would be to retheme the Golden Zephyr vehicles into Alebrijes? Then of course SSS would have to be rethemed too.

As far as the Blue Sky, I know the area would probably be more cohesive and beautiful (with a loss in kinetics) but they’d never get rid of Goofys and 3 carny rides for the boat ride. That’s a lot. At the point you re at a net loss in capacity. My vote would be to ax the Jumpin Jellyfish kiddie ride that has way too tall of height requirement and use it for Coco. Retheme Zephyr and SSS. SSS would be right in between the Inside Out and Coco neighborhood though so not sure which way they’d go with that but how can you resist calling the ride Mood Swings?

Professortango1

i wonder how hard it would be to retheme the Golden Zephyr vehicles into Alebrijes? Then of course SSS would have to be rethemed too.

As far as the Blue Sky, I know the area would probably be more cohesive and beautiful (with a loss in kinetics) but they’d never get rid of Goofys and 3 carny rides for the boat ride. That’s a lot. At the point you re at a net loss in capacity. My vote would be to ax the Jumpin Jellyfish kiddie ride that has way too tall of height requirement and use it for Coco. Retheme Zephyr and SSS. SSS would be right in between the Inside Out and Coco neighborhood though so not sure which way they’d go with that but how can you resist calling the ride Mood Swings?
If you're adding and D and an E ticket, the capacity should outweigh GZ and JJ easily, especially as GZ closes in windy conditions.

Also, if they move JJ to the helix, its not a loss, it's a relocation.

As for kinetics, if the Mexican Restaurant has a balcony section for seating, you have a great parade viewing area as well as the suggested bridge which has people walking across it. The suspended D ticket could even weave in and out of the ride building for energy.

I look at this as the Big Thunder improvement. Big Thunder was one amazing E-ticket which replaced almost an entire land worth of attractions. The wagons, pack mules, and Nature's Wonderland all left for Yesterland, but I agree with the change and why they made it.

Getting rid or moving of 3-4 flat rides to build 2 quality Disney D/E tickets and an area which feels equivalent to NOS....that is a huge improvement for DCA. As it stands, DCA has a corner of their theme park which doesn't have any draw for me to walk over there. It's not a shorter route to anything and it has some cheap looking carnival rides. The seating area is nice, but I'm not going to walk a few minutes to a corner of the park with nothing else to grab a bite. I'm going to grab food at the places closer to where I want to hang out and explore.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If you're adding and D and an E ticket, the capacity should outweigh GZ and JJ easily, especially as GZ closes in windy conditions.

As for kinetics, if the Mexican Restaurant has a balcony section for seating, you have a great parade viewing area as well as the suggested bridge which has people walking across it. The suspended D ticket could even weave in and out of the ride building for energy.

I look at this as the Big Thunder improvement. Big Thunder was one amazing E-ticket which replaced almost an entire land worth of attractions. The wagons, pack mules, and Nature's Wonderland all left for Yesterland, but I agree with the change and why they made it.

Getting rid or moving of 3-4 flat rides to build 2 quality Disney D/E tickets and an area which feels equivalent to NOS....that is a huge improvement for DCA. As it stands, DCA has a corner of their theme park which doesn't have any draw for me to walk over there. It's not a shorter route to anything and it has some cheap looking carnival rides. The seating area is nice, but I'm not going to walk a few minutes to a corner of the park with nothing else to grab a bite. I'm going to grab food at the places closer to where I want to hang out and explore.

Right they re not exactly the highest capacity attractions. I forgot about your proposed D ticket when I typed up my response. Theoretically then yes that would more than make up for the loss of the other rides but there can’t possibly be a room for another D ticket in addition to Coco too right? Especially if Coco is going to be anything worthwhile and you want to add some restaurants etc.

Professortango1

Right they re not exactly the highest capacity attractions. I forgot about your proposed D ticket when I typed up my response. Theoretically then yes that would more than make up for the loss of the other rides but there can’t possibly be a room for another D ticket in addition to Coco too right? Especially if Coco is going to be anything worthwhile and you want to add some restaurants etc.
I think you have a Blue Bayou-esque small restaurant nestled into the attraction, and just like NOS, the exterior of the show building is small shops. The space currently housing JJ, GZ, and SSS is large enough for a restaurant and queue akin to Cafe Orleans, especially is 2-story for seating and kinetics. If they are already remodeling the gate area to become the passage to Disneyland Forward expansion space, then they could also add a submerged corridor to the kitchen facility which would go where SSS stands.

The D-ticket can go where the Pizza place is and also travel above some scenes from the boat ride. Imagine looking up in Pirates and seeing Peter Pan ride vehicles moving through the space. It adds energy to some scenes in the boat attraction and land similar to how the Peoplemover dipped into attractions and walkways.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think you have a Blue Bayou-esque small restaurant nestled into the attraction, and just like NOS, the exterior of the show building is small shops. The space currently housing JJ, GZ, and SSS is large enough for a restaurant and queue akin to Cafe Orleans, especially is 2-story for seating and kinetics. If they are already remodeling the gate area to become the passage to Disneyland Forward expansion space, then they could also add a submerged corridor to the kitchen facility which would go where SSS stands.

The D-ticket can go where the Pizza place is and also travel above some scenes from the boat ride. Imagine looking up in Pirates and seeing Peter Pan ride vehicles moving through the space. It adds energy to some scenes in the boat attraction and land similar to how the Peoplemover dipped into attractions and walkways.

This would be great! It all sounds doable except for the second D ticket inside the Coco building. That’s a stretch I think. But hey this is Blue Sky!

MistaDee

I think the general consensus is that the walkway to the expansion will go where the utility gate is now.....which is also where the parades go through. Coco would go in the area north of that.

View attachment 817817
This has definitely been the consensus but I do wonder if Disney has even fully decided yet: if Paradise Gardens/Goofy's Sky School get a major re-imagining they could very well create a gateway crossing over from anywhere in that area. I'd expect anything they do to redevelop the area will be done with an eye towards setting up a good "gateway/bridge area" over to the eventual Simba lot/Dland Forward

A building the size of the red one here would be close to double the square footage of the Monsters Inc. building. In the blue area they can do a faux facade of buildings to look like an enclosed town square, and flop the pizza place with the Mexican restaurant in San Fransokyo.

View attachment 817834
There certainly is a ton of room to work with, and I think you're totally right that there are creative ways to retain all the good elements from the area: the flat rides, the food options and perhaps most of all in my mind: a nice shady area to take a little break.

The only reason I can see them not using the original rumored space behind incredicoaster is that imagineering has been dreaming up an inside out e ticket
I've appreciated how the DLR seems to really be valuing its space/capacity of late. The way they created space for a showbuilding the size of Runaway Railway gives me hope for how future developments can maximize the limited real estate they have to work with.

It's this real scarcity of space that makes me think none of the D23 announcements will be going into DL Forward plots (I consider the eastern gateway/bus loop to be outside the scope of DL Forward since the zoning hasn't changed, even if it does require some infrastructure components)

Personally I think that takes away too much for so little gain. Something I know many here claim Disney has no problem doing, but its rare when they actually do it at DLR for attractions.

I guess we'll see soon enough, as we're probably less than a year away from knowing where it'll be going as they'll announce it next year before the 2026 start of construction, but I think behind the Incredicoaster still makes the most sense for now.
On paper it does take aqay quite a bit, but depending on what their vision is I think it's very possible they could redevelop the space while retaining great dining, a nice shady area and either adapt some of the flat rides (love the Zephyr to Alebrijes concept) or move them elsewhere within the Pier.

Goofys is fun. It was always there for us when we wanted a little thrill but my son was too short for Incredicoaster and other thrill rides. Now he’s tall enough but hasn’t quite worked up the courage for it because of the loop. I try to tell him that Ghostrider at Knotts which he has been on and would go on again is much scarier than Incredicoaster but nope.

Anyway, that Goofy area butted up against the hotel is ugly and that corner could use some beautification. If they do put it there they just better not touch my favorite spot in the park- Paradise Gardens. Particularly the little area in front of the stage. It’s the only place that feels like Disneyland at DCA. Complete canopy of shade with those trees and those planters are always on point.
Agree that Sky School had its place - I remember taking my little brother on it when he was too scared for CA Screamin' but it's a sacrifice I'm very happy to make.

Totally agree that Paradise Gardens delivers on the ~vibes. If CoCo were to get a Plaza Esperanza style "neighborhood" to bookend the Pier I think it would absolutely need to offer everything we love about the Gardens: shade, food, a little stage.

I'd love that. Even if they took out Zephyr and SSS as well as some of the lagoon area there for a Mexican restaurant.

Blue sky moment. What if the mini land housed two attractions? Boat ride in the red area with courtyard. Keep the gardens. Shops and restaurant and more seating where JJ/GZ/SSS are. And where Boardwalk Pizza is having a queue and part of the ride for a suspended ride that flies over some of the boat ride scenes while also having its own isolated scenes. We get a D Ticket and an E Ticket, and an area that feels like NOS with courtyards, restaurants, and shops.
LOVE this idea. If Disney truly wants to maximize the land it has and add as much capacity as possible this would be the ambitious way to do that. DCA could really benefit from a NOS type area, or the feeling Diagon Alley + Knockturn Alley deliver at Universal: a smaller scale area you can wander and feel immersed in. Would also help with the sightlines issues this part of the park has.

The cynic in me says it would be more like a CoCo D ticket (Tangled style, maybe a little grander) plus a rethemed Zephyr + Jellyfish but wow if they could do an integrated show building with an E ticket level boat ride plus a smaller suspended D-ticket?? Take my money...

x2

This and the Grizzly Peak area. Don't get rid of them.
I don't even care if Grizzly Peak eventually becomes a strange thematic vestigial structure attached to "Disney Cinematic Adventure" the Grand Californian and Grizzly Peak should remain as is, maybe with some subtle IP additions

.i wonder how hard it would be to retheme the Golden Zephyr vehicles into Alebrijes? Then of course SSS would have to be rethemed too.

LOVE this idea. If we take the Zephyr to be Alebrijes I wonder if they can find room for the Swings/Jumping Jellyfish

If they can keep the 3 flat rides, or even 2/3 and are able to include quality dining, shade and alleyways for a CoCo neighborhood PLUS even just one E-ticket, that would be a slam dunk in my opinion. If they're able to include another C or D ticket experience on top of that, which seems a little tougher, I would be very impressed.

A parade facing balcony is brilliant, I love all of these ideas.

I do think CoCo deserves its own neighborhood in the Paradise Gardens area. Utilizing the space behind Screamin' for showbuildings and then using part or all of Gardens for the neighborhood would be my preferred outcome. Just looking at the space available:

68k sq ft behind Screamin' trying to leave room for a backstage access road:
1727553091154.png

135k sq ft for all of Paradise Gardens, Goofy's Sky School, Parade Corridor and the 3 flat rides
1727553298039.png

Or a more modest CoCo neighborhood just taking part of Paradise Gardens, which seems more realistic:
32k sq ft
1727553490283.png

I think combining the partial Paradise Gardens + behind Screamin' areas makes a lot of sense, 68k sq ft is big enough showbuilding for a Tangled size boat ride, with a smaller CoCo village that can house the queue, a nice Mexican restaurant and maybe some good shade + alleyways with CoCo merch. 32k sq ft might be a touch small for all that but they can obviously take as much land as they want to.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This has definitely been the consensus but I do wonder if Disney has even fully decided yet: if Paradise Gardens/Goofy's Sky School get a major re-imagining they could very well create a gateway crossing over from anywhere in that area. I'd expect anything they do to redevelop the area will be done with an eye towards setting up a good "gateway/bridge area" over to the eventual Simba lot/Dland Forward

There certainly is a ton of room to work with, and I think you're totally right that there are creative ways to retain all the good elements from the area: the flat rides, the food options and perhaps most of all in my mind: a nice shady area to take a little break.

I've appreciated how the DLR seems to really be valuing its space/capacity of late. The way they created space for a showbuilding the size of Runaway Railway gives me hope for how future developments can maximize the limited real estate they have to work with.

It's this real scarcity of space that makes me think none of the D23 announcements will be going into DL Forward plots (I consider the eastern gateway/bus loop to be outside the scope of DL Forward since the zoning hasn't changed, even if it does require some infrastructure components)

On paper it does take aqay quite a bit, but depending on what their vision is I think it's very possible they could redevelop the space while retaining great dining, a nice shady area and either adapt some of the flat rides (love the Zephyr to Alebrijes concept) or move them elsewhere within the Pier.

Agree that Sky School had its place - I remember taking my little brother on it when he was too scared for CA Screamin' but it's a sacrifice I'm very happy to make.

Totally agree that Paradise Gardens delivers on the ~vibes. If CoCo were to get a Plaza Esperanza style "neighborhood" to bookend the Pier I think it would absolutely need to offer everything we love about the Gardens: shade, food, a little stage.

LOVE this idea. If Disney truly wants to maximize the land it has and add as much capacity as possible this would be the ambitious way to do that. DCA could really benefit from a NOS type area, or the feeling Diagon Alley + Knockturn Alley deliver at Universal: a smaller scale area you can wander and feel immersed in. Would also help with the sightlines issues this part of the park has.

The cynic in me says it would be more like a CoCo D ticket (Tangled style, maybe a little grander) plus a rethemed Zephyr + Jellyfish but wow if they could do an integrated show building with an E ticket level boat ride plus a smaller suspended D-ticket?? Take my money...

I don't even care if Grizzly Peak eventually becomes a strange thematic vestigial structure attached to "Disney Cinematic Adventure" the Grand Californian and Grizzly Peak should remain as is, maybe with some subtle IP additions

LOVE this idea. If we take the Zephyr to be Alebrijes I wonder if they can find room for the Swings/Jumping Jellyfish

If they can keep the 3 flat rides, or even 2/3 and are able to include quality dining, shade and alleyways for a CoCo neighborhood PLUS even just one E-ticket, that would be a slam dunk in my opinion. If they're able to include another C or D ticket experience on top of that, which seems a little tougher, I would be very impressed.

A parade facing balcony is brilliant, I love all of these ideas.

I do think CoCo deserves its own neighborhood in the Paradise Gardens area. Utilizing the space behind Screamin' for showbuildings and then using part or all of Gardens for the neighborhood would be my preferred outcome. Just looking at the space available:

68k sq ft behind Screamin' trying to leave room for a backstage access road:
View attachment 818385

135k sq ft for all of Paradise Gardens, Goofy's Sky School, Parade Corridor and the 3 flat rides
View attachment 818388

Or a more modest CoCo neighborhood just taking part of Paradise Gardens, which seems more realistic:
32k sq ft
View attachment 818389

I think combining the partial Paradise Gardens + behind Screamin' areas makes a lot of sense, 68k sq ft is big enough showbuilding for a Tangled size boat ride, with a smaller CoCo village that can house the queue, a nice Mexican restaurant and maybe some good shade + alleyways with CoCo merch. 32k sq ft might be a touch small for all that but they can obviously take as much land as they want to.
You have interesting ideas, but to me its still makes the most sense behind the Incredicoaster. Except for the current Plaza de la Familia I still see no reason for it to go and replace that side of the Park. They obviously have the space so they can add it without taking anything away.

Also just FYI, its Coco not CoCo. :)

Disney Analyst

You have interesting ideas, but to me its still makes the most sense behind the Incredicoaster. Except for the current Plaza de la Familia I still see no reason for it to go and replace that side of the Park. They obviously have the space so they can add it without taking anything away.

Also just FYI, its Coco not CoCo. :)

Wouldn’t a big show building in that corner also block theme park views from the very overpriced hotel next door? Pretty sure there are views from there for the pier?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wouldn’t a big show building in that corner also block theme park views from the very overpriced hotel next door? Pretty sure there are views from there for the pier?
Agree, which is another reason why I don't think it'll go in that area. GSS is small enough that it doesn't really block the views. While I understand that many rather have something besides a Wild Mouse coaster, it has its place there for a reason.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Well, not exactly. Any bridge crossing over Disneyland Dr., especially one at grade level similar to the DTD crossover, would have to have its northern side of the dip be south of Pixar Place Hotel. When you start dropping a road below grade, everything to the sides is going to be higher than the street. I made this similar argument 10 years ago when people were suggesting the crossover on Harbor for the Eastern Gateway be at grade level with the road dipped under instead of an overhead bridge. My argument was that all the hotel entrances in that area would be 20 feet above the road.

1727554620786.png

Since Pixar Place has a driveway at the red arrow in my pic below, if you use the same slope as the DTD bridge undercrossing, the crossover would have to be no further north than my green lines.

1727555069757.png

The existing utility gate is already the furthest south it can be and moving it north would make a long walk to the crossover.

1727555221607.png
1727555236941.png

I personally don't think either of these two scenarios are going to happen. The first is way too big a plot for a single attraction and "possible" mini-land (we only speculate on this at the moment). I don't think Disney wants to lose the performance corridor in that area, nor have it traverse through a new land. Also, they probably wouldn't go east of Corndog Castle since there is a DCA park entrance between that and Seaside Souvenirs.

The last part is mostly just my opinion, but I think I'm more spot on with the crossover bridge portion. I also don't believe this attraction is going to be an E Ticket or that it will get the extravagant mini-land surrounding it either. I think a lot of that is wishful thinking on our parts.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Agree, which is another reason why I don't think it'll go in that area. GSS is small enough that it doesn't really block the views. While I understand that many rather have something besides a Wild Mouse coaster, it has its place there for a reason.
You think the Coco show building would be taller than the existing wall blocking GSS?

1727556483385.png

This is the view from an upper floor of Pixar Place:

1727556455445.png

Extending a tall building to the right of GSS (at its height) wouldn't really block anymore more than what the existing trees in that area already block. You'd still see the lagoon and WoC all the same.

We don't know officially the scope of this attraction. People keep speculating this large E ticket with a need for a large building. I honestly don't see that as much larger than a C ticket....maybe D at most. Avatar and Avengers are the big E tickets. I don't think the third (Coco) will be and not all new attraction should be E tickets. There's only hope and speculation that it would even be two-story or have drops.

I honestly see something like Navi River with a peaceful small-scale stroll through the Land of the Dead. Given the area of the show building I gave in my previous post is larger than Navi's, it would seem about right. 30-40k square feet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You think the Coco show building would be taller than the existing wall blocking GSS?

View attachment 818399

View attachment 818398

Extending a tall building to the right of GSS (at its height) wouldn't really block anymore more than what the existing trees in that area already block. You'd still see the lagoon and WoC all the same.

We don't know officially the scope of this attraction. People keep speculating this large E ticket with a need for a large building. I honestly don't see that as much larger than a C ticket....maybe D at most. Avatar and Avengers are the big E tickets. I don't think the third (Coco) will be and not all new attraction should be E tickets. There's only hope and speculation that it would even be two-story or have drops.

I honestly see something like Navi River with a peaceful small-scale stroll through the Land of the Dead. Given the area of the show building I gave in my previous post is larger than Navi's, it would seem about right. 30-40k square feet.
The poster who I was agreeing with was talking about the views from the GC, not PPH. And yes I think a show building if put there would block a lot of views from the GC into the Park, something I doubt they would do for their $800/night rooms. Which is a reason I don't think it'll go there.

Disney Analyst

View attachment 818399

View attachment 818398

These are the views I was discussing, from their luxury property.

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3103.jpeg

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
These are the views I was discussing, from their luxury property.

View attachment 818401

View attachment 818402
So in the first shot you'd lose this:

1727560670205.png

No significant loss. The second:

1727560878961.png

Aside from GSS and its queue (which would be gone anyway) you lose maybe JJ and maybe part of SSS but you can still see the lagoon which is obscured by Zephyr and palm trees anyway.

Acceptable losses, especially since Disney advertises those rooms as Partial View anyway.

1727561291987.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So in the first shot you'd lose this:

View attachment 818406

No significant loss. The second:

View attachment 818407

Aside from GSS and its queue (which would be gone anyway) you lose maybe JJ and maybe part of SSS but you can still see the lagoon which is obscured by Zephyr and palm trees anyway.

Acceptable losses, especially since Disney advertises those rooms as Partial View anyway.

View attachment 818411
As dismissive as this is regarding the importance of the views from GC, I still have major doubts of Disney doing any of that to their one Diamond hotel.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well, not exactly. Any bridge crossing over Disneyland Dr., especially one at grade level similar to the DTD crossover, would have to have its northern side of the dip be south of Pixar Place Hotel. When you start dropping a road below grade, everything to the sides is going to be higher than the street. I made this similar argument 10 years ago when people were suggesting the crossover on Harbor for the Eastern Gateway be at grade level with the road dipped under instead of an overhead bridge. My argument was that all the hotel entrances in that area would be 20 feet above the road.

View attachment 818391

Since Pixar Place has a driveway at the red arrow in my pic below, if you use the same slope as the DTD bridge undercrossing, the crossover would have to be no further north than my green lines.

View attachment 818394

The existing utility gate is already the furthest south it can be and moving it north would make a long walk to the crossover.

View attachment 818395 View attachment 818396

I personally don't think either of these two scenarios are going to happen. The first is way too big a plot for a single attraction and "possible" mini-land (we only speculate on this at the moment). I don't think Disney wants to lose the performance corridor in that area, nor have it traverse through a new land. Also, they probably wouldn't go east of Corndog Castle since there is a DCA park entrance between that and Seaside Souvenirs.

The last part is mostly just my opinion, but I think I'm more spot on with the crossover bridge portion. I also don't believe this attraction is going to be an E Ticket or that it will get the extravagant mini-land surrounding it either. I think a lot of that is wishful thinking on our parts.

A C ticket? No way. My money is on a D ticket.
What do you consider a C ticket anyway?

Avatar is an E and Avengers I guess will be an E but might feel more like a D.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
A C ticket? No way. My money is on a D ticket.
What do you consider a C ticket anyway?

Avatar is an E and Avengers I guess will be an E but might feel more like a D.
I find ticket lettering to be totally subjective and not just a measure of how "good" a ride is, as the original lettering was also based other factors like popularity, crowd control, etc. but I'll at least try and give modern day equivalents.

I would say the Fantasyland dark rides (and Pooh) are B tickets. Monsters Inc., Little Mermaid, Small World are C tickets. A D ticket would be like Star Tours, Nemo Subs, Millennium Falcon.

I think Coco will fall under what I listed as C tickets with better animatronics (which I don't think next gen animatronics necessarily make something an E ticket). Possibly could categorize it as a D ticket if there are drops or more exciting elements than just floating past scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom