News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

BrianLo

So what team do we want working on this ride?

The portfolio manager for this ride is Emily O’Brien. Who on a surface glance was on Radiator Springs project and Harambe Market. Then she was the executive manager on all the DAK night time entertainment in 2017. Much More recently the site portfolio director for OLC/Tokyo (but I would have a hard time extending the recently opened lands to that more recent promotion).

She’s been with imagineering for 27 years seemingly. So that’s not a bad sign, she was clearly trained by the people we like.

I like Scott Trowbridge and Chris Beatty as more recognizable imagineers and I think my personal current fave is Michel Den Dulk, who was on Fantasy Faire and the HKDL Arrendelle project and is now at DLP (Lion King). If anyone is ever let loose at Disneyland proper, it should be him.

The guy on Animal Kingdom is also overseeing VillainsLand.

Last edited:

britain

Funny, since I think the tunnel immediately prior to the dart room is one of the original examples of "they should really put something here," haha.

Yeah, I've always felt like Indy was conceived with the boulder finale first, the lead up to the idol (with the brilliant 3 path illusion), and the great room... and hmm... how to get people from the great room to the boulder...? eh, we'll just wrap a hallway around the perimeter and use whatever money we have left over to decorate those halls.

Professortango1

Yeah, I've always felt like Indy was conceived with the boulder finale first, the lead up to the idol (with the brilliant 3 path illusion), and the great room... and hmm... how to get people from the great room to the boulder...? eh, we'll just wrap a hallway around the perimeter and use whatever money we have left over to decorate those halls.
The original concept art for Indy was fantastic, so I think the ride became an amalgamation of many of those show scene ideas. The only one I saw for the car ride that we didn't really get was the room of treasure where Indy is ducking behind a mound of treasure while returning gun fire to antagonists.

I do think the rat tunnel was a miss and with how tight some of those spaces are in the floorplan, probably doesn't allow for much other than a projector as they were certain the effect would work. When it didn't, they were put into a tough spot.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Wow very interesting - I suppose Paradise Gardens could be in play as well
That's the only other immediate place I can think of which makes no logical sense to me.

You'd at the very least be losing two eateries and at most GSS as well if they want a decent sizes show building. Why replace all of that when behind the coaster would literally take away zero park space?

coffeefan

That's the only other immediate place I can think of which makes no logical sense to me.

You'd at the very least be losing two eateries and at most GSS as well if they want a decent sizes show building. Why replace all of that when behind the coaster would literally take away zero park space?

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense in that case since it's pretty much the same location, just less efficient. If the rumor is true I think they're eyeing a different location for the attraction.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Yeah, it wouldn't make sense in that case since it's pretty much the same location, just less efficient. If the rumor is true I think they're eyeing a different location for the attraction.
Is anyone going to say what this supposed location is?

mickEblu

Original Poster

Someone posted a rumor right after D23 stating that the Coco ride placement was "perfect" unlike Avatar. I Immediately thought Paradise Gardens / Goofy Sky School as "perfect" to me insinuates that it feels organic in its area because of the Coco stuff that happens there now. Even though of course they could have just been referring to the fact that its a Pixar ride going into Pixar Pier but it's not where I'd put my money if that comment / rumor were to be believed. I hope it doesn't go there. I cant even imagine how that would work, fit or make any sense. Unless you start the queue in that area and build a tunnel to the show building behind Incredicoaster if thats even possible or go across the street to Simba. Not sure why they'd do that when they have room for a huge show building behind Pixar Pier. Unless of course, they have cold feet putting it there because Inside Out 2 just did over a billion dollars. @Disney Irish this might interest you.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Someone posted a rumor right after D23 stating that the Coco ride placement was "perfect" unlike Avatar. I Immediately thought Paradise Gardens / Goofy Sky School as "perfect" to me insinuates that it feels organic in its area because of the Coco stuff that happens there now. Even though of course they could have just been referring to the fact that its a Pixar ride going into Pixar Pier but it's not where I'd put my money if that comment / rumor were to be believed. I hope it doesn't go there. I cant even imagine how that would work, fit or make any sense. Unless you start the queue in that area and build a tunnel to the show building behind Incredicoaster if thats even possible or go across the street to Simba. Not sure why they'd do that when they have room for a huge show building behind Pixar Pier. Unless of course, they have cold feet putting it there because Inside Out 2 just did over a billion dollars. @Disney Irish this might interest you.
I wouldn't cry if it went into Paradise Gardens, I just am puzzled as to why. Yes, they do Coco related celebrations there, but those could be done anywhere....that's just the place they do it and it doesn't make that area any more Mexico feeling during the rest of the year when they aren't.

But hey, there could be a lot of cogs in the machine that we aren't aware of and being willing to lose something to gain something else feels worth it to Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not convinced but anything is possible I suppose. Until otherwise stated my bet is still behind the Incredicoaster for Coco, it just makes the most sense right now.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I wouldn't cry if it went into Paradise Gardens, I just am puzzled as to why. Yes, they do Coco related celebrations there, but those could be done anywhere....that's just the place they do it and it doesn't make that area any more Mexico feeling during the rest of the year when they aren't.

But hey, there could be a lot of cogs in the machine that we aren't aware of and being willing to lose something to gain something else feels worth it to Disney.

Yeah im not saying the Coco show is a reason to put it there. I'm saying I think that might be the rationale of someone calling the placement "perfect." Id be puzzled and also let down to lose the Paradise Garden eating area and stage unless its spared and they do Mariachi shows there. I don't even see how it would fit unless you pretty much bulldozed everything from Corn Dog Castle to the Parade Gate and even then it seems like a very tight squeeze.

I wonder if they would be willing to loose a wing of the Grand Californian, like the one behind GSS? That and GSS being gone would open a bit of space at Paradise Gardens. Now that new on-property lodging can be built via Disneyland Forward the income loss would be temporary.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom