Coast-to-Coast challenge?

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Now that so many of us have gotten our medals from WDW, is anyone else ready to take on the DL half marathon and earn the coveted Coast-to-Coast medal?

I'm very excited about the chance to run through all 6 American Disney parks in one year, especially since Disney recognizes it with an extra medal. Those of you who ran the Goofy Challenge, just think...you could walk away with 5 medals from 3 races!

I'll be in Anaheim on Labor Day weekend, getting ready to run through Walt's original park and (hopefully, assuming they still do it) see myself on the Jumbotron of a Major League Baseball stadium. Anyone with me? :cool:

Erin_Akey

I would love to do this one day. And our DVC ownership is actually Grand Californian.....but we NEVER get over there. That is SO FAR away for us.

But one day- after I get my Goofy- I want the coast to coast!

Good luck to those doing it this year!

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
I would love to do this one day. And our DVC ownership is actually Grand Californian.....but we NEVER get over there. That is SO FAR away for us.
Yeah, I figured that would be the sticking point for most. This is a pretty East-centric board, it seems. (It's a long way for me too, but the the cool thing is going east to west gives you that extra daylight when you land.) :D

MKCP 1985

Yeah, I figured that would be the sticking point for most. This is a pretty East-centric board, it seems. (It's a long way for me too, but the the cool thing is going east to west gives you that extra daylight when you land.) :D

Not so cool coming back though. :lol: Where did that day go?

It has been a loooong time since my last trip to Disneyland. Uncertain whether the first trip back should be to run a half marathon but I did reserve a hotel room just in case. :lookaroun

Erin_Akey

Ive always said I had no interest in Disneyland, but this medal combined with my ownership there, could be the thing to get me over there!

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Ive always said I had no interest in Disneyland, but this medal combined with my ownership there, could be the thing to get me over there!

You've never been?!?! :eek:

And you own rooms at GCH! I would kill to stay in that hotel.

Whether you make it for the race or not, you really owe it to yourself to make it out there sometime. WDW might have the resort experience down, but no theme park can touch DL. I went for the first time a couple years ago, spent 5 days in the parks, and didn't even begin to get bored...and I'm a WDW veteran. And on top of that, there's so much to see and do in Southern California.

I'm going to end my pitch now before I work up into a froth. :lookaroun :lol:

Not so cool coming back though. :lol: Where did that day go?

It has been a loooong time since my last trip to Disneyland. Uncertain whether the first trip back should be to run a half marathon but I did reserve a hotel room just in case. :lookaroun

Indeed on the return trip. :lol:

If you haven't been in some time, I definitely would suggest more than a drop in to run for your return trip. I'm hoping to spend a few days in the parks, and maybe get out and see some sights too.

Figment82

I'm in! I've been eyeing that Coast to Coast medal for quite some time, and now that I've gotten the WDW Half under my belt, I'm ready! Plus it's a great excuse to get over to DL again (as if I needed one!). I need to start planning soon, since it'll be over Labor Day weekend and I'm assuming the parks will be a bit busier.

Texas84

My plan is for 2012. I want to do the full marathon in January then I'll make the side trip to DL while visiting my sister in Vegas. We're going to try for the Grand Californian. Still don't see doing the Goofy. :D

Tiggersk82

I did both events within a year, but in the wrong order, so no extra medal for me. Hopefully I'll be able to do the Disneyland race again this year, but it looks like I might be back in school.

The DL half is fun, but the course is very different from the WDW one. You have to run through scenic Anaheim and a bit along the lovely LA river. It's not the prettiest course in the world. That said, running through Angel Stadium is amazing, and hearing your name announced over the loudspeaker is a big energy booster!

MickeyBen

Hey....I have been to Disneyland many years ago and we ate at a restaurant called the Blue Bayou. Is it still there???? OMG I loved the Monte Cristo sandwich they had there...... That alone would motivate me to load up Erin and go to Disneyland!! LOL

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Hey....I have been to Disneyland many years ago and we ate at a restaurant called the Blue Bayou. Is it still there???? OMG I loved the Monte Cristo sandwich they had there...... That alone would motivate me to load up Erin and go to Disneyland!! LOL
Hi Ben...the Blue Bayou is still serving up Monte Cristo's in New Orleans Square. Sounds like great food for celebrating a half marathon, huh? :D

fmingo36

I'm in (as long as I can find some decent airfare). Even convinced my hubby to run the 1/2 with me.

Just trying to crunch some numbers to figure out what we can afford (regarding lodging, # of days at the park, etc.)
I've never been to Disneyland so I'm very excited not only to finally get to see the parks in California but to earn that COAST-to-COAST medal. Oh, that one is going to look so sweet next to my Mickey marathon medal!!! :)

Do they give the Coast-to-Coast medal at the race after you've completed the course or is it something is sent to you later?
Also does anyone know if you have to inform Disney that you participated in a race already this year when you register to earn the medal?

Tiggersk82

Do they give the Coast-to-Coast medal at the race after you've completed the course or is it something is sent to you later?
Also does anyone know if you have to inform Disney that you participated in a race already this year when you register to earn the medal?

I'm fairly sure that you are automatically registered for the Coast-to-Coast medal when you sign up for the races. Also, I saw people picking up their extra medals at the finish line in Disneyland. I think there were special wristbands for the Coast-to-Coast participants. The medals looked amazing!

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
you are automatically entered into the coast to coast challenge when you register and complete either combination of races. You must have an official time for the walt disney world® marathon or half marathon, disney's princess half marathon and disneyland® half marathon. Sign up today!

:)

Erin_Akey

Monte Cristo is NOT on our training plan menu my dear! LOL...BUT as a post race indulgence- YEP!

IrishTexan

Coast to Coast

My wife and I think some of her Team in Training friends plan on doing it. I will be the guy on the sidelines with the dual dslr setup taking pics. =)

Phonedave

Right now, I have roughly 25 of the 29.5 vacation days I have this year allocated.

Now it turns out my brother and his family may be in WDW for the week before the Wine and Dine half, so that changes that trip from 2 vacation days to about 5.

Either I need a job that gives more vacation, or a time machine.

Seriously, my plans for 2012 are to do the Goofy and the DL Half. Yep, 5 medals for 3 races. Efficient. :)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom