Coast-to-Coast challenge?

fmingo36

I did both events within a year, but in the wrong order, so no extra medal for me.

I didn't think it mattered what order; the Wine & Dine 1/2 is run after the Disneyland 1/2 and that still qualifies you for the medal . I believe it just has to be in the same calendar year.
Did you contact someone at Disney? I would definitely look into that if I was you.

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
I didn't think it mattered what order; the Wine & Dine 1/2 is run after the Disneyland 1/2 and that still qualifies you for the medal . I believe it just has to be in the same calendar year.
Did you contact someone at Disney? I would definitely look into that if I was you.

I hate to be a rain cloud (I really do!), but I don't think the W&D qualifies for the medal. Everything I've read indicates the WDW portion of the Coast-to-Coast has to either be a marathon weekend race or the Princess half.

And the only way to do both the WDW marathon/half (or the Princess half) and the DL half in the same calendar year (as opposed to within a year of each other) is to do DL second.

Based on the rules Disney has set up, it sounds like doing DL on Labor Day and WDW the following January only earns you an unofficial Coast-to-Coast...kinda like when Tiger Woods won an unofficial Grand Slam (or "Tiger Slam") by taking the US Open, British Open, and PGA Championship one season, then starting the next year by winning the Masters. It's still an achievement regardless!

Apologies in advance for a post that makes me sound like an insufferable smarty-pants. :lol:

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
What would be really sweet is if Disney offered some kind of ultra-medal for hitting all of its races in a year...the 5K, half, and full on WDW Marathon weekend (already unofficially known as the "Dopey Challenge"), then the Princess, DL Half and W&D. Am I forgetting any?

Edit: Guess there's also the 5K during ESPN the Weekend and the Expedition Everest challenge. Didn't they also use to have a Tower of Terror 13K? I guess that would just get ridiculous trying to string together.

fmingo36

I hate to be a rain cloud (I really do!), but I don't think the W&D qualifies for the medal. Everything I've read indicates the WDW portion of the Coast-to-Coast has to either be a marathon weekend race or the Princess half.

And the only way to do both the WDW marathon/half (or the Princess half) and the DL half in the same calendar year (as opposed to within a year of each other) is to do DL second.

Apologies in advance for a post that makes me sound like an insufferable smarty-pants. :lol:

No apologies necessary. That used to be the was it was but they changed things this year.

Got this from the Disney website regarding the COast to Coast Challenge...
"Now in 2011, if you complete the Disneyland® Half Marathon and Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon in the SAME calendar year, you too will receive an additional medal commemorating your achievement. You will receive your medal once you complete the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon."

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
No apologies necessary. That used to be the was it was but they changed things this year.

Got this from the Disney website regarding the COast to Coast Challenge...
"Now in 2011, if you complete the Disneyland® Half Marathon and Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon in the SAME calendar year, you too will receive an additional medal commemorating your achievement. You will receive your medal once you complete the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon."
Sweet! We were just talking about this in another thread, so either I overlooked that or they just added it within the last day or so. Good to know!

frank2271

I'm in this year! I ran the WDW full, my wife and I are running the Princess in Feb and my Wife, son and I are all doing the DL half in September. My wife and I will get the Coast to Coast but my son will not. It will be his first half, he's going to be 14 in June and that's the min. age for a half marathon.

I can't wait, I LOVE DL. I'm a AP at WDW and think DL is the BEST Disney has to offer.

JillC LI

Didn't they also use to have a Tower of Terror 13K?

Yes, I ran it in 2009. Cool running at Disney at night but kinda disappointing in terms of the Disney-esque aspects (meaning there were very few).

I think your idea is a cool one and wonder if anyone has ever done it.

MKCP 1985

Yes, I ran it in 2009. Cool running at Disney at night but kinda disappointing in terms of the Disney-esque aspects (meaning there were very few).

I think your idea is a cool one and wonder if anyone has ever done it.

yeah, but it had some great looking race shirts! :D

img_0679.jpg

img_0680.jpg

IMG_06911.jpg

fmingo36

I just completed my registration for the Disneyland 1/2 in September. And even convinced my hubby to run the race with me.
Can't wait to earn that Coast-to-Coast Challenge medal!!!

FYI-Starting tomorrow (2/7) the race registration fee goes up.

Figment82

Just wanted to give a friendly reminder that the Disneyland Half is at 93% capacity. Typically, when the percentage hits the 90s, it fills up soon after. So if you haven't signed up yet and were thinking of going for that Coast to Coast Challenge, you might want to soon. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom