Club 32 Lounge

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
@spacemt354 has invited me to hop into this communal brainstorming project...so I shall!

This Fantasyland seems quite effectively filled with attractions. The discussion about a Fantasia castle is intriguing. There's no particular look for such a thing, so the castle must reflect our impressions of Fantasia. I like these ideas discussed above - maybe more medieval, Germanic, like a fortress, with a spire of rocks at a dramatic coastline.

View attachment 198510

I've made a quick attempt at fusing these various elements. There are elements of France's Mont St. Michel here, a medieval fortress castle which is set strikingly on a craggy island just off the Normandy coastline. The castle's peaks are from Snow White - the original plan was for Sorcerer's Apprentice to star Dopey, and Yensid's interiors still reflect that design style. I picture the castle's front, approached from Main Street, framed not by a moat, but by perpetually crashing ocean waves (great kinetics!). This is a great place for shows, like the sorcerer Mickey nighttime spectacular. Functionally, I guest that'd be like the castle stage shows they do at Magic Kingdom or in Shanghai, which I have no firsthand knowledge of. Maybe this stage area in the epic rockwork below the castle could even be shaped somewhat like a concert hall, taking inspiration from Fantasia's symphonic origins. Maybe the various crags could also have hidden musical instruments in them, like the carved animals around Animal Kingdom's Tree of Life.

These are all merely some quick blue sky notions. Not sure how this fits in with what everyone's been working on.

And I've always felt a Gravity Falls attraction should go into DCA's Grizzly Peak area, where Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is currently located.
Oh wow -- this is a wonderful visual of the castle -- thank you!

I like this better than my doodles haha - I'm in favor of something like this being included...I also think it will blend in nicely with the resort of the surrounding area seeing as Villains Land will be flanking it with Bald Mountain. So the rock formations in the front will provide a seamless transition into the Villains Land.

Excellent job!

D Hulk

And as said before -- welcome @D Hindley to the project! If you have any other suggestions don't hesitate to add them in. Great contributions so far!

Thanks for the gracious welcome, @spacemt354. The only other idea which occurs off the top of my head is an additional Fantasyland attraction (provided we have space), a next-gen Storybook Land Canal Boats. For those who aren't familiar, it's a Disneyland boat ride past exquisite models depicting over a dozen animated Disney classics. It's really the glue for California's Fantasyland!

Old guided boats are replaced with LPS trackless boats like DisneySea's Aquatopia, which glide across a shallow layer of water. Each boat randomly stops at the many model scenes, giving guests time to admire each in turn. The Aquatopia setup allows us to do a few islands within the lagoon, like Peter Pan's Neverland, Prince Eric's castle, and Moana's Motunui. With 25 years since France's Storybook Land clone, many new animated films can be incorporated from the start! So we'll feature Tangled, Frozen, The Princess and the Frog, Gigantic (upcoming), also Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, et cetera, plus the golden classics like Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty...and many, many more!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Thanks for the gracious welcome, @spacemt354. The only other idea which occurs off the top of my head is an additional Fantasyland attraction (provided we have space), a next-gen Storybook Land Canal Boats. For those who aren't familiar, it's a Disneyland boat ride past exquisite models depicting over a dozen animated Disney classics. It's really the glue for California's Fantasyland!

Old guided boats are replaced with LPS trackless boats like DisneySea's Aquatopia, which glide across a shallow layer of water. Each boat randomly stops at the many model scenes, giving guests time to admire each in turn. The Aquatopia setup allows us to do a few islands within the lagoon, like Peter Pan's Neverland, Prince Eric's castle, and Moana's Motunui. With 25 years since France's Storybook Land clone, many new animated films can be incorporated from the start! So we'll feature Tangled, Frozen, The Princess and the Frog, Gigantic (upcoming), also Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, et cetera, plus the golden classics like Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty...and many, many more!
That was one of my favorite attractions when visiting Disneyland a few years ago! So quaint and peaceful. I'd love to include it.

I don't mind re-working the map a bit to fit it in. I think it would be a nice inclusion. I'm almost thinking it could fit nicely where the Fantasia Gardens sit currently if we take @stitchcastle 's advice and move the Fantasia Gardens to the front of the castle instead of behind it.

D Hulk

That was one of my favorite attractions when visiting Disneyland a few years ago! So quaint and peaceful. I'd love to include it.

I don't mind re-working the map a bit to fit it in. I think it would be a nice inclusion. I'm almost thinking it could fit nicely where the Fantasia Gardens sit currently if we take @stitchcastle 's advice and move the Fantasia Gardens to the front of the castle instead of behind it.

Hmm...I'm still getting up to speed on our layout, but I believe the Fantasia Gardens are centrally located inside the castle courtyard. That would be a fabulous setting for Storybook Land! It ties the whole land together, and the boats provide motion. Wonderful suggestion!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Hmm...I'm still getting up to speed on our layout, but I believe the Fantasia Gardens are centrally located inside the castle courtyard. That would be a fabulous setting for Storybook Land! It ties the whole land together, and the boats provide motion. Wonderful suggestion!
#14 on the map:)
33465427900_026899a1a8_b.jpg

I'm thinking of reworking the dimensions a bit better. This was something just tossed together to give us an updated visual. But I'm also thinking it would fit nicely as 11 and 12 are Dumbo and the Casey Jr. Peoplemover Station (an attraction destined to go around the entire land) -- so the location of these Storybook Canals would be very similar to Disneyland!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Hi all,

Perhaps instead of a castle at the center you could have an ominous building on an island such as Mont St. Michel. I would have attached a picture of it closer, but they were all licensed. Here is the picture I did find when the water around the island has receded:

MtStMichel_avion.jpg
I think this could possible work for an aesthetic for the Villains Land we have -- being ominous and more foreboding
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/club-32-villains-land-fantasyland-project.925067/

I'm wondering with the more playful atmosphere behind the castle for the Fantasyland, whether an ominous castle would fit best compared to a more fanciful one?

Brer Oswald

Wasn't the storybook land train or Casey Jr supposed to be a tour of not only Fantasyland itself, but also films that didn't get their own attraction? This way, we wouldn't need to devote more space for canal boats, and we'd have one excellent, non boring ride.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Wasn't the storybook land train or Casey Jr supposed to be a tour of not only Fantasyland itself, but also films that didn't get their own attraction? This way, we wouldn't need to devote more space for canal boats, and we'd have one excellent, non boring ride.
I honestly don't remember talking about that haha -- if we did, then I forgot. :p

I do very much like Douglas' idea for the inclusion of the canal boats though -- it'd be a great aesthetic as soon as you walk into Fantasyland to have the continuation of flowing greenery and water elements.

Disney Dad 3000

Hi all,

Perhaps instead of a castle at the center you could have an ominous building on an island such as Mont St. Michel. I would have attached a picture of it closer, but they were all licensed. Here is the picture I did find when the water around the island has receded:

MtStMichel_avion.jpg

That place is something else. I have some closer pictures saved somewhere I can try and find if needed for inspiration.

Corey

Hi all,

For Fantasyland, do you think it would be possible to have a castle park without a castle. Since most monarchs, at least European ones, moved away from castles in favor of palaces, would it be possible to have a fanciful palace as the central attraction of a park. While I know that the Epcot pavilion already has a building resembling the hotel Château Frontenac in Quebec City, could the basic design of the hotel be re-themed as a palace for Fantasyland? Just a thought.

Ch%C3%A2teau_Frontenac_02.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Hi all,

For Fantasyland, do you think it would be possible to have a castle park without a castle. Since most monarchs, at least European ones, moved away from castles in favor of palaces, would it be possible to have a fanciful palace as the central attraction of a park. While I know that the Epcot pavilion already has a building resembling the hotel Château Frontenac in Quebec City, could the basic design of the hotel be re-themed as a palace for Fantasyland? Just a thought.

Ch%C3%A2teau_Frontenac_02.jpg
It's a good thought!

Personally I'm a bit biased to the castle however -- I wonder if like in DLP -- we could have this be the inspiration for a hotel at the front of the park?

Poe Dameron

#14 on the map:)
33465427900_026899a1a8_b.jpg

I'm thinking of reworking the dimensions a bit better. This was something just tossed together to give us an updated visual. But I'm also thinking it would fit nicely as 11 and 12 are Dumbo and the Casey Jr. Peoplemover Station (an attraction destined to go around the entire land) -- so the location of these Storybook Canals would be very similar to Disneyland!
Storybook Canals would fit perfectly in that area.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I suppose you could make it a hybrid by having the tower of Château Frontenac kept as the castle's keep and adding walls with crenelations surrounding it thereby turning it into a very upscale castle.
An interesting thought!

I'm working on some concept sketches for the Pinocchio Boat ride -- as well as making the "ticket" scales for all the attractions. We've mentioned it before, but for the new people it's good to have it in one central location so everyone can be on the same page.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom