Club 32 Lounge

D Hulk

1829886720856170374%253Faccount_id%253D9

A fanciful sketch of what the entrance leading to the hub/harbor -- and proceeding into medieval "old" england from "new england" might look like

The pathway won't be curved -- but it's just done for effect to show that the castle is where you'd be headed.

Colonial style, romanticized, old lighting, benches, cobble stone side streets (and brick sidewalk which populate Boston), balconies and brick buildings 2-3 stories tall and as you get closer to the "harbor" the buildings become colonial seaside acting as the transition of going from "city hall" and downtown at the entrance where the transportation hub of the train is...to the outskirts of the city.

While Boston is the inspiration I don't think anywhere in the land it has to be Boston specific -- especially being in Australia I think it would be good to keep it vague and also I'm planning on throwing in a lot of New England proper inspirations -- like Providence, RI and other seaside towns.

Some 1700s ships docked behind the town indicate the harbor with seagulls overhead (again those don't actually have ot be there they are just for effect)

Let me know what you think!
Very promising start, with an interesting way to reinterpret how the entry land relates to the castle. I think this is an area we could all have a lot of fun brainstorming together. Off the top of my head, I can see elements of American tall tales woven through artfully and elevating the historical details. Stories like Ichabod, Johnny Appleseed, Windwagon Smith, Rip Van Winkle (all but the last already done by Disney), all bring us a little further away from reality in a fun way.

And I can see a newly-settled continent setting such as this really playing nicely to Australian sensibilities.

Ten or so minutes out from Pacific Wharf work!!!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Very promising start, with an interesting way to reinterpret how the entry land relates to the castle. I think this is an area we could all have a lot of fun brainstorming together. Off the top of my head, I can see elements of American tall tales woven through artfully and elevating the historical details. Stories like Ichabod, Johnny Appleseed, Windwagon Smith, Rip Van Winkle (all but the last already done by Disney), all bring us a little further away from reality in a fun way.

And I can see a newly-settled continent setting such as this really playing nicely to Australian sensibilities.

Ten or so minutes out from Pacific Wharf work!!!
I'd love to include those elements in -- also I just thought of something as I was making a map of the area

As you walk down Commonwealth Ave (one of the main streets in Boston) there is a park in the center of it with trees adding a ton of greenery to the area with benches to sit and shade.
comm_ave1908.jpg

We've never had a "Main Street" with trees going down the middle -- could be a fun aesthetic!

D Hulk

Pacific Wharf is an idealized version of San Francisco circa roughly 1905, at the height of the city’s opulence just before the Great Earthquake. Here guests find fantastic glittering wealth, but also great lawlessness. The Barbary Coast region along the docks is a known den of sailors, brigands, and thieves, the terminus of the Wild West where cowboys meet the Orient. Mansions pepper the hillsides, filled with treasures from throughout the known world. There is more than a little of Tony Baxter’s Discovery Bay in this land.

There is no concrete layout yet. @spacemt354, I’d hoped you or someone else could extrapolate one from this sketch. I’ll run us through the sights:

Looming at the center is our land’s weenie and E-ticket, an all-new Tower of Terror (minus the Twilight Zone tie-in). The building is a fusion of the Winchester Mystery House, the Cliff House (which burned down in 1907), and various early San Francisco skyscrapers. Winchester provides the premise too: Billionaire William Barbary, famed firearm manufacturer, grew to fear the ghosts of those killed by his weapons. A fortuneteller advised Barbary that the ghosts would not harm him as long as his company’s high-rise remained unfinished, to be a home for the spirits. Construction continued for decades without plan or purpose, until Barbary in his greed neglected to compensate his construction crew. Work ceased, and a deadly earthquake struck! Barbary within his elevator plunged to his doom! Now guests are invited to ride the haunted elevators for themselves…

The bridge leading over from Colonial Street is modeled on the Brooklyn Bridge. San Francisco’s most famed bridges didn’t exist yet in this time, and I thought a 19th century East Coast landmark might help transition from Boston.

The Chinese pagoda to the east represents a fledgling Chinatown, home to an E-ticket trackless dark ride into Chinatown’s seedy underbelly. Catacombs teem with mystical beasts from Chinese myth, very much inspired by Big Trouble in Little China.

Alcatraz Island (name change pending – Convict Island?) in the Bay across from Chinatown is a proposed exploration playground, accessible by ferry boats.

Lombard Street, twisting in the hills, sends early motor cars down a Wild Mouse coaster.

Cable cars run in a circular loop, with stops along the pier and at the gates of the Tower of Terror. Just a fun kinetic transportation attraction. (These began in 1878, so they fit the era easily!)

Note other details: Waves crashing along the rocky coast (I’d love to use like wave machines for this dynamic effect). A lighthouse at the harbor’s entrance, accessible from Alcatraz via rope-bridge. A schooner moored alongside the honkytonk saloons. Canoes (or watercraft of some sort) passing by. Victorian gingerbread “painted lady” facades dot the hilly streets. And a distant Western-style bridge allows transition to Frontierland (whose gold mines are a source of Pacific Wharf’s wealth).

Other attractions and elements can most certainly be added (actually, there’s a ton more stuff I’ve conceived), and anything suggested here is certainly open to discussion!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
420110573897218473%253Faccount_id%253D9

Colonial Street Concept

1 - Colonial Street Train Station
2 - Restaurant, Table Service - Oyster Bay
3-9 - Winthrop Market - a walk-through quick service venue with seating and an eclectic variety of small eateries
----------------------------
3 - The Thinking Cup (coffee shop - not Starbucks haha)
4 - Maria's Pastry Shop
5 - Deli Quick Service (name tbd)
6-7 - Indoor seating, with outdoor park seating in the adjacent courtyard
8 - Chocolate Shop (name tbd)
9 - Johnny Appleseed Fruit Market
10 - Ale House (seaside bar - still debating on this)

The point of the right side of Colonial Street is to have the eateries. Guests on high flow traffic days can walk through all of the eateries (aside from 10 actually if its a bar) pick up their morning coffee and pastry, and then enjoy the park. Or if they are coming in the afternoon, grab a sandwich and go.

The purpose of the left side of Colonial Street is to "keep" guests in the park with Storytime with Ichabod Crane and Rip Van Winkle shows in the courtyard park, shops, and more so guests also buy stuff on the way out. These all connect as well keeping guests inside them and also helping traffic flow for exits.

11 - Storytime with Ichabod Crane
12 - Windwagon Smith Shop
13 - Seaside Flower Shop
14 - Olive Oil Shop
15 - Blacksmith and Armory
16 - Map Shop (with S.E.A. references)
17 - Clothing Shop
18 - Large Clothing/Memorabilia Shop
19 - Parade Exit
20 - Barber Shop
21 - First Aid/City Hall/Information
22 - Restrooms

Shaded areas represent trees/benches/park-like settings.

Thoughts and feedback welcome!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Pacific Wharf is an idealized version of San Francisco circa roughly 1905, at the height of the city’s opulence just before the Great Earthquake. Here guests find fantastic glittering wealth, but also great lawlessness. The Barbary Coast region along the docks is a known den of sailors, brigands, and thieves, the terminus of the Wild West where cowboys meet the Orient. Mansions pepper the hillsides, filled with treasures from throughout the known world. There is more than a little of Tony Baxter’s Discovery Bay in this land.

There is no concrete layout yet. @spacemt354, I’d hoped you or someone else could extrapolate one from this sketch. I’ll run us through the sights:

Looming at the center is our land’s weenie and E-ticket, an all-new Tower of Terror (minus the Twilight Zone tie-in). The building is a fusion of the Winchester Mystery House, the Cliff House (which burned down in 1907), and various early San Francisco skyscrapers. Winchester provides the premise too: Billionaire William Barbary, famed firearm manufacturer, grew to fear the ghosts of those killed by his weapons. A fortuneteller advised Barbary that the ghosts would not harm him as long as his company’s high-rise remained unfinished, to be a home for the spirits. Construction continued for decades without plan or purpose, until Barbary in his greed neglected to compensate his construction crew. Work ceased, and a deadly earthquake struck! Barbary within his elevator plunged to his doom! Now guests are invited to ride the haunted elevators for themselves…

The bridge leading over from Colonial Street is modeled on the Brooklyn Bridge. San Francisco’s most famed bridges didn’t exist yet in this time, and I thought a 19th century East Coast landmark might help transition from Boston.

The Chinese pagoda to the east represents a fledgling Chinatown, home to an E-ticket trackless dark ride into Chinatown’s seedy underbelly. Catacombs teem with mystical beasts from Chinese myth, very much inspired by Big Trouble in Little China.

Alcatraz Island (name change pending – Convict Island?) in the Bay across from Chinatown is a proposed exploration playground, accessible by ferry boats.

Lombard Street, twisting in the hills, sends early motor cars down a Wild Mouse coaster.

Cable cars run in a circular loop, with stops along the pier and at the gates of the Tower of Terror. Just a fun kinetic transportation attraction. (These began in 1878, so they fit the era easily!)

Note other details: Waves crashing along the rocky coast (I’d love to use like wave machines for this dynamic effect). A lighthouse at the harbor’s entrance, accessible from Alcatraz via rope-bridge. A schooner moored alongside the honkytonk saloons. Canoes (or watercraft of some sort) passing by. Victorian gingerbread “painted lady” facades dot the hilly streets. And a distant Western-style bridge allows transition to Frontierland (whose gold mines are a source of Pacific Wharf’s wealth).

Other attractions and elements can most certainly be added (actually, there’s a ton more stuff I’ve conceived), and anything suggested here is certainly open to discussion!
A fantastic description here and gives plenty of detail and room to explore a design layout. I'd be happy to try one out based on this entry here and see what fits best where. I love all the ideas so much in fact the Tower of Terror kinda acts as the park's "Haunted Mansion" as well. While we had one in the works for Villains Land...in a way it was holding Villains land to a medieval and somewhat realistic feel. Now if we remove the Haunted Mansion and simply have this attraction in Pacific Wharf...that opens the creativity door wide open on VIllains Land. I'll be curious to hear what others think of that decision.

D Hulk

420110573897218473%253Faccount_id%253D9

Colonial Street Concept

1 - Colonial Street Train Station
2 - Restaurant, Table Service - Oyster Bay
3-9 - Winthrop Market - a walk-through quick service venue with seating and an eclectic variety of small eateries
----------------------------
3 - The Thinking Cup (coffee shop - not Starbucks haha)
4 - Maria's Pastry Shop
5 - Deli Quick Service (name tbd)
6-7 - Indoor seating, with outdoor park seating in the adjacent courtyard
8 - Chocolate Shop (name tbd)
9 - Johnny Appleseed Fruit Market
10 - Ale House (seaside bar - still debating on this)

The point of the right side of Colonial Street is to have the eateries. Guests on high flow traffic days can walk through all of the eateries (aside from 10 actually if its a bar) pick up their morning coffee and pastry, and then enjoy the park. Or if they are coming in the afternoon, grab a sandwich and go.

The purpose of the left side of Colonial Street is to "keep" guests in the park with Storytime with Ichabod Crane and Rip Van Winkle shows in the courtyard park, shops, and more so guests also buy stuff on the way out. These all connect as well keeping guests inside them and also helping traffic flow for exits.

11 - Storytime with Ichabod Crane
12 - Windwagon Smith Shop
13 - Seaside Flower Shop
14 - Olive Oil Shop
15 - Blacksmith and Armory
16 - Map Shop (with S.E.A. references)
17 - Clothing Shop
18 - Large Clothing/Memorabilia Shop
19 - Parade Exit
20 - Barber Shop
21 - First Aid/City Hall/Information
22 - Restrooms

Shaded areas represent trees/benches/park-like settings.

Thoughts and feedback welcome!
Still taking it all in. Quick random notions...

The central green space (which I like), it will have ways for guests to cross every once in a while? And how does parade viewing work with trees dividing the street?

Paul Revere chapel

Boston Tea Party ship near the lagoon

Old Boston courthouse

Baltus van Tassel's Harvest Festival (from Ichabod) - a Thanksgiving-style restaurant

Ye Olde Schnooker's & Schnapps Shoppe - I just did some quick Ichabod research, and this is Brom Bones' ale house / pub

Other settings: Ichabod's schoolhouse; the old church and cemetery; the covered bridge

Forgive me, I have very little knowledge of either Old Boston or Liberty Square out east, so all this might be silly talk.

And food-wise, there could be some overlap between Colonial Street and Pacific Wharf, especially with seafood. I'm claiming clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls!

JackWatkinson

I like the general idea and as Tom had said throw out all ideas -- the more ideas the better then we can condense!

@MonorailRed posted some old artwork of hers that I think is a good jumping off point and if you need any help with some ideas I would be glad to! I could see us using S.E.A. in some capacity here or even our own original backstory for the land.
Great! Loved the art work by the way Red! I have mostly just been playing with the theme, playing around with it and seeing what works, I have been trying to look at a blend of the 4 that you can seamlessly transition from area to area.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Still taking it all in. Quick random notions...

The central green space (which I like), it will have ways for guests to cross every once in a while? And how does parade viewing work with trees dividing the street?

Paul Revere chapel

Boston Tea Party ship near the lagoon

Old Boston courthouse

Baltus van Tassel's Harvest Festival (from Ichabod) - a Thanksgiving-style restaurant

Ye Olde Schnooker's & Schnapps Shoppe - I just did some quick Ichabod research, and this is Brom Bones' ale house / pub

Other settings: Ichabod's schoolhouse; the old church and cemetery; the covered bridge

Forgive me, I have very little knowledge of either Old Boston or Liberty Square out east, so all this might be silly talk.

And food-wise, there could be some overlap between Colonial Street and Pacific Wharf, especially with seafood. I'm claiming clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls!
Morning everyone!

I like all of these suggestions -- I'll specify it as I go trying to include some of these where I just had generic shop titles. Fine you can have clam chowda lol but New England Clam Chowder!!:eek::p

Also you bring up a really good point about the parade --- and actually it gets me to thinking, maybe we re-route the parade. Having it go down the entrance to the park creates congestion. Maybe we could have it go a different route? Around the hub perhaps or maybe just focus on the shows instead of parades?

JackWatkinson

Morning everyone!

I like all of these suggestions -- I'll specify it as I go trying to include some of these where I just had generic shop titles. Fine you can have clam chowda lol but New England Clam Chowder!!:eek::p

Also you bring up a really good point about the parade --- and actually it gets me to thinking, maybe we re-route the parade. Having it go down the entrance to the park creates congestion. Maybe we could have it go a different route? Around the hub perhaps or maybe just focus on the shows instead of parades?
I was going to mention shows. I had thought of a nighttime show on the water with fountains etc. themed around the ocean, not thought much. But I wouldn't have it because it might clash with the main nighttime spectacular what do you think?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I was going to mention shows. I had thought of a nighttime show on the water with fountains etc. themed around the ocean, not thought much. But I wouldn't have it because it might clash with the main nighttime spectacular what do you think?
Maybe it could be the intro to mickeyfan's nighttime event? Similar to the photo projection show they did before Wishes on the Castle.

StevenU

Just tagging @Voxel @D Hindley and others for some possible feedback on this

@OvertheHorizon and myself were working on a side project for a new Horizons pavilion -- titled Century 22.

We have some details down and began designing a website for it (Horizon did the website)
http://century22pavilion.weebly.com/

I'm reading again and StevenU had mentioned something about the ocean and using it to look at the horizon from Progressland. I'm wondering if this Century 22 attraction, tweaked a little to fit the Magic Kingdom moreso than an Epcoty attraction -- would fit perfectly in this land -- just wanted to get your thoughts on it!
Very nice attraction so far! I could see this being in Progressland. @OvertheHorizon did you want to have an ascent where you speed up through several floors to add thrill to the attraction?

MonorailRed

Applebees
PACIFIC WHARF CONCEPT ART
View attachment 199986
Well I promised a sketch of Pacific Wharf, and then I went a little crazy.

Description to follow!

Crazy idea.... What if we connected your Tower of Terror to Frontierland in some measure? :eek:

I know in the DisneySea version of tower, Hightower steals the cursed idol. What if Your Tower of Terror character steals from a mine in Frontierland and curses the tower and in place also causes trouble in Frontierland?

Just a thought to make a good story flow between both areas.:bookworm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom