Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Professortango1

Meh thats like calling ed ed and eddie a cartoon....yes technically but who cares? However you are correct. Still a bunch of crap that is not needed.

Many loved Big Hero 6, Incredibles is getting a sequel, and Doctor Strange is going to do quite well box office wise. I'd wager that many care. I'd love to see something like the proposed Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers with a 1940's Peggy Carter theme or the once imagined Incredibles Ride which would have been very similar to Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As it stands the TZ theme is at risk being replaced by a generic zone of twilight-esque theme. Not Donald goes ghost hunting or similar.
If they simply use the theme of Tokyo's tower (and the pre-show effects), that would work fine. Gives another vague tie-in with the S.E.A. as well, as those are slowly showing up around property.

If they simply use the theme of Tokyo's tower (and the pre-show effects), that would work fine. Gives another vague tie-in with the S.E.A. as well, as those are slowly showing up around property.

It could work, although I'd keep the original premise of 1939 intact. Hollywood Tower Hotel is a landmark in the US parks, plus it would be more relatable to the US population.

Use the original story, but get rid of Rod Serling. You could open it in a similar fashion to the Kirsten Dunst movie, and you could probably even keep a lot of the original footage--just re-do it a little bit.

In fact, this ride would be easy to de-Twilight Zone. I can think of the following changes which would need to be made:
--Get rid of any Twilight Zone props that are owned by CBS (most of these are little things--look when the elevator stops moving).
--Re-do the video in the library.
--Have a new narration that doesn't involve Twilight Zone and isn't a Rod Serling soundalike.
--Project something new onto the Fifth Dimension scene.
--Replace the light-up sign at the front of the hotel with one that doesn't say Twilight Zone.
--Push out the Twilight Zone merchandise. (Most of the new stuff actually just says Hollywood Tower Hotel).

It's honestly something you could convert overnight. There would be no downtime involved--the sign could be replaced like Carousel of Progress's was and new videos are really easy to put in. You wouldn't have to do anything with the building itself. (I know it was last given a total refurb in 2011 and stayed open the entire time; I'd say to refurb it again in 2018-2019).

There may not even need to be a timetable on this since it would be an easy conversion to make.

This would lead to ToT being a completely Disney property, and one they could go ahead and make the new movie about. (Even the Kirsten Dunst movie had no Twilight Zone references in it!)

AEfx

This would lead to ToT being a completely Disney property, and one they could go ahead and make the new movie about. (Even the Kirsten Dunst movie had no Twilight Zone references in it!)

Now, pretend you are in a Disney boardroom. Convince them that it's smarter to do all that just to "promote" a little remembered 20-year-old direct to video feature starring two has-been Holloywood stars, versus the huge brand they just unexpectedly created by unearthing GoG from the depths of obscurity.

The Empress Lilly

ANY TOT FANS FLY TO PARIS!

-BOB IGER
WDSP is turning into a Disney parks museum, isn't it? Backlot Tour, Catastrophe Canyon, Animation, TZToT, LMA, water tower, movie history attractions, Streets of America-ish façades, Horizons props.

Who'd have thought the cheap clone, the embarrassment, would fifteen years later be the authentic experience.

Who'd have thought the cheap clone said:
So far it isn't...unless some idiot toys with WDW's tower. (Unless, of course, you're talking about simply the Twilight Zone theme here should it get removed).

Not only is Paris a cheap clone, it's a clone of a cheap clone!! :) (To be fair, I think the Tokyo one is also the same basic ride, just with a different story and appearance).

Scott Lang

I always thought Guardians of the Galaxy could be a nice overlay replacement for RnR. I would say the ride would be the begining of the first Guardian's movie. The preshow would have guests following Quill by getting the Orb. The ride part would be the guests boarding the Milano and escaping Korath and his crew. Another thing these two have in common is the music. The guardians overlay would play the songs that are in the film/soundtrack. Just a thought. This is my first post on here since visiting for quite some time.

Matt_Black

Now, pretend you are in a Disney boardroom. Convince them that it's smarter to do all that just to "promote" a little remembered 20-year-old direct to video feature starring two has-been Holloywood stars, versus the huge brand they just unexpectedly created by unearthing GoG from the depths of obscurity.

The GotG was somewhat surprising, but it's not like they were all sitting in the back issue bin before the movie came along. After the comic revival in the mid-2000s, the characters were put in other media, such as the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. So, it wasn't entirely out of nowhere. It was still a risk, but a calculated one that was building on the characters' prior success.

TWSITT

I always thought Guardians of the Galaxy could be a nice overlay replacement for RnR. I would say the ride would be the begining of the first Guardian's movie. The preshow would have guests following Quill by getting the Orb. The ride part would be the guests boarding the Milano and escaping Korath and his crew. Another thing these two have in common is the music. The guardians overlay would play the songs that are in the film/soundtrack. Just a thought. This is my first post on here since visiting for quite some time.

Yes, the soundtrack from GotG would be perfect for RnR!

AEfx

The GotG was somewhat surprising, but it's not like they were all sitting in the back issue bin before the movie came along. After the comic revival in the mid-2000s, the characters were put in other media, such as the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. So, it wasn't entirely out of nowhere. It was still a risk, but a calculated one that was building on the characters' prior success.

I've been around comics since the 1980's and I had never heard of them before the films were announced. They existed, apparently, but they were not household names, even among comic fans. You had to be pretty into Marvel specifically to know who the hell they were as a group.

In fact, I thought Disney had gone off the deep end when that film was announced. It just goes to show you how well they have managed the brand, and like with Star Wars and Pixar, Disney was the perfect home for them.

Professortango1

:bored:
Sunset Boulevard is far more elaborately themed than Hollywoodland, and the quality of Sunset and BVS are about the same.

Lets compare:
hollywoodwishlist_hollywoodblvd2015ww.jpg

Versus:
Tower%20of%20Terror%2011.jpg

Oh what could have been.....
hollywoodtn_disneyrendering.jpg
Your pictures kind of proved my point. Tall facades on both sides of the street, attractions, street car cables overhead, an actual streetcar which travels to the base of the Tower vs short generic shops on one side and open seating on the other. Sure, the Hyperion definitely needs a face lift, but Buena Vista Street/ Hollywoodland are sone of Disney's best themed areas. It reminds me of the difference between WDW's Main Street and Disneyland's. WDW's has more space, but Disneyland's feels like a real place with a cinema, fire station, magic shop, etc. DHS' Sunset Blvd feels very much like an amusement park row of shops and eatery leading up to the big attraction.

Bocabear

I just take people less seriously when they say Hollywoodland in DCA is better then Sunset or Hollywood Blvd
I would have to agree with you there... DHS version is far superior...in every way.
It would be a fun nod to Old Hollywood to place a new facade towards the end of Sunset Boulevard of Norma Desmond's Mansion with a low garden wall.. a perfect addition to the area near the Hollywood Tower Hotel...both symbols of ruined Hollywood glamour...
DesmondsMansion2_SunsetBlvd.jpg

wdwgreek

I would have to agree with you there... DHS version is far superior...in every way.
It would be a fun nod to Old Hollywood to place a new facade towards the end of Sunset Boulevard of Norma Desmond's Mansion with a low garden wall.. a perfect addition to the area near the Hollywood Tower Hotel...both symbols of ruined Hollywood glamour...
DesmondsMansion2_SunsetBlvd.jpg
I love the movie and Musical Sunset Boulevard so so much. Its one of Webber's most underrated shows and the film is such a. classic. Any nods to that movie would be lovely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom