Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Professortango1

I just take people less seriously when they say Hollywoodland in DCA is better then Sunset or Hollywood Blvd

It's a matter of subjective taste. DCA has the benefit of Buena Vista Street being the first act of Hollywoodland. DHS definitely has the better weenie at the end of the street with the Chinese Theater rather than the false continuation of the street. DCA also has the benefit of doing is second, so while a building might be a tiny shop at DHS, it is a full scale restaurant at DCA. I love having the redcars going up and down the street and DHS just seems empty leading up to Tower as there's too much open air on the left side of the street. It feels one sided to me.

11_12_DCA_005271.jpg BVS.jpg BVSMortimer-20120620-BW.JPG Carthay.jpg DLR_TR20150111_13.jpg HLS.jpg skdjh3423.jpg

FigmentForver96

It's a matter of subjective taste. DCA has the benefit of Buena Vista Street being the first act of Hollywoodland. DHS definitely has the better weenie at the end of the street with the Chinese Theater rather than the false continuation of the street. DCA also has the benefit of doing is second, so while a building might be a tiny shop at DHS, it is a full scale restaurant at DCA. I love having the redcars going up and down the street and DHS just seems empty leading up to Tower as there's too much open air on the left side of the street. It feels one sided to me.

View attachment 169275 View attachment 169276 View attachment 169277 View attachment 169278 View attachment 169279 View attachment 169280 View attachment 169281
Except the tower at DCA is off to the side of the street, it actually has a very odd placement overall and everything around it is off. I mean from the front of the ride building you can look into Bugs Land. Hollywoodland or whatever it was called back in the day fails at the whole behind the scenes movie set gag. They attempted to sort of fix it by making the street a real hollywood street but it actually makes it a tad worse as they didn't give everything the proper budget. Some of the building facades don't even match the theme (animation) and the whole area where Mad Tea Party was is a train wreck. So no DCA doesn't do it better and Guardians isn't about to help it.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20161013_174338.jpg
I took my obligatory pic of ToT while there today. I've said it before, to me, this is the pinnacle of Disney theme park imagineering. Sunset Boulevard is so perfectly designed as the build up to the ToT. Also, Sunset Boulevard is one of the few areas of any WDW Park where you truly are immersed in the time period and theme in my opinion.. Basically, if ToT or SB get re-themed, we riot.

Magenta Panther

View attachment 169331 I took my obligatory pic of ToT while there today. I've said it before, to me, this is the pinnacle of Disney theme park imagineering. Sunset Boulevard is so perfectly designed as the build up to the ToT. Also, Sunset Boulevard is one of the few areas of any WDW Park where you truly are immersed in the time period and theme in my opinion.. Basically, if ToT or SB get re-themed, we riot.

Absolutely.

52d1bd9ce24f21cd4fdda7c976b0d25d.jpg

Professortango1

View attachment 169331 I took my obligatory pic of ToT while there today. I've said it before, to me, this is the pinnacle of Disney theme park imagineering. Sunset Boulevard is so perfectly designed as the build up to the ToT. Also, Sunset Boulevard is one of the few areas of any WDW Park where you truly are immersed in the time period and theme in my opinion.. Basically, if ToT or SB get re-themed, we riot.

I can see why people like it. The one sided street and tiny buildings throw me off, but I've been spoiled by a full sized Carthay Circle and such. The time period also always seemed very modern/80's to me with the signage and Planet Hollywood. I do love the DHS Tower design though and love it being on the little hill.

Tokyo's Tower will always take the cake in terms of the surrounding environment. I like DCA as it feels like a small side street to a forgotten corner of Hollywood, but the DHS does provide a much more open view/picture opportunity.

Professortango1

It's a great attraction, but DHS's is better. I'd argue the setup in DisneySea is better, but the ride itself is better in DHS.

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. Some prefer the newer effects and tightened story, others prefer the slower paced quietness of DHS and the kitchy charm of the original. Each has it's own pluses and minuses, just depends on what suits you.

RSoxNo1

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. Some prefer the newer effects and tightened story, others prefer the slower paced quietness of DHS and the kitchy charm of the original. Each has it's own pluses and minuses, just depends on what suits you.
"kitchy"? While I wouldn't use kitchy to describe either version, if anything I'd say the DisneySea version is more kitchy. The DHS version has a better ride profile. That's hard to debate. DisneySea's version probably has the better queue and pre-show.

Professortango1

"kitchy"? While I wouldn't use kitchy to describe either version, if anything I'd say the DisneySea version is more kitchy. The DHS version has a better ride profile. That's hard to debate. DisneySea's version probably has the better queue and pre-show.

The 5th Dimension Room and final room at the base of the drop shaft are very kitchy. As is the floating shattering window at the end of the hallway sequence. The DHS version is much more rooted in The Twilight Zone and the 1950's Roger Coreman-esque style and feel. The newer versions went for a darker more "realistic" tone.

It's kind of odd as DHS has the more realistic queue and the DCA version has the campy queue with many callbacks to the show while the attractions are quite the opposite. The Tokyo version feels like the queue and attraction match.

RSoxNo1

The 5th Dimension Room and final room at the base of the drop shaft are very kitchy. As is the floating shattering window at the end of the hallway sequence. The DHS version is much more rooted in The Twilight Zone and the 1950's Roger Coreman-esque style and feel. The newer versions went for a darker more "realistic" tone.

It's kind of odd as DHS has the more realistic queue and the DCA version has the campy queue with many callbacks to the show while the attractions are quite the opposite. The Tokyo version feels like the queue and attraction match.
Well thought out response, thank you.

I don't necessarily agree with your opinion, but I appreciate your explanation.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I can see why people like it. The one sided street and tiny buildings throw me off, but I've been spoiled by a full sized Carthay Circle and such. The time period also always seemed very modern/80's to me with the signage and Planet Hollywood. I do love the DHS Tower design though and love it being on the little hill.

Tokyo's Tower will always take the cake in terms of the surrounding environment. I like DCA as it feels like a small side street to a forgotten corner of Hollywood, but the DHS does provide a much more open view/picture opportunity.
Very good analysis and insight. Thank you for that. I'd love to visit Tokyo's because the pics make it look awesome. Like I said to another poster though, just by looking at the pics though and not having ever physically been there, it seems to me that DHS is more immersive

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom