Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

RSoxNo1

I do get that old world Hollywood feeling when I get to the end of Sunset Blvd and see Rockin Roller coaster. ToT is far easier to re-theme then SSE. Hollywood studios has absolutely no cohesion anyway so it makes so much more sense even over the outdated themeing of Epcot.
RnRC is a poor fit, but it's also set back far enough that it's in its own area. Far less intrusive than a Guardians overlay would be.

willtravel

I wouldn't mind TOT being made into a movie again. Nothing................... like the first one with Steve Guttenberg. More of a semi adult /adult mystery movie. No gore. No creatures or ghosts with eyes popping out of there skull. Just where did they go. Where are they now ghost story.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Don't worry.

It is not happening. As in not happening.

The TZ IP may go, but as it stands Guardians is not being overlayed.
Just to put IP part into perspective, by 1985 (the year that Studios would have been creatively locked down), TWDC had a library of 40 movies. That's why they had to reach-out to MGM, CBS and others.

Today they have a library of 575 movies. No wonder that studios "then" would be so different from studios "yet to be".

Also, of the 25 top-grossing Disney films, 23 have been released in this century. The only other two are Toy Story (1995), and Toy Story 2 (1999). So 24 of 25 of their top movies have happened after RoE opened.

Those are some surprising facts...

Dunston

Original Poster
4972977344_ed4cbca161_b.jpg
To clarify, I heard this from the son/daughter of a very big higher-up of Global Lodging for The Walt Disney Company. I do not wish to reveal any more than that, but I'd like to clarify that I had not heard this from a low level CM, or made it up for attention. This higher-up said to ride the Tower of Terror soon, because one will not be able to do that by next summer. I assume she was referring to summer 2017, not summer 2018.

Don't worry.

It is not happening. As in not happening.

The TZ IP may go, but as it stands Guardians is not being overlayed.
It is not.
I will be as happy as anyone if the Guardians of the Galaxy re-theme does not happen to ToT. My source may have been referring to the Twilight Zone IP being removed, a GotG re-theme, the whole dang tower being knocked down for something new, or anything else. I do not know if what I heard about the GotG re-theme is true at this point, because Marni1971's evidence seems to point towards the contrary and I know he is a credible source (definitely more credible than I have presented myself to be).

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To clarify, I heard this from the son/daughter of a very big higher-up of Global Lodging for The Walt Disney Company. I do not wish to reveal any more than that, but I'd like to clarify that I had not heard this from a low level CM, or made it up for attention. This higher-up said to ride the Tower of Terror soon, because one will not be able to do that by next summer. I assume she was referring to summer 2017, not summer 2018.

I will be as happy as anyone if the Guardians of the Galaxy re-theme does not happen to ToT. My source may have been referring to the Twilight Zone IP being removed, a GotG re-theme, the whole dang tower being knocked down for something new, or anything else. I do not know if what I heard about the GotG re-theme is true at this point, because Marni1971's evidence seems to point towards the contrary and I know he is a credible source (definitely more credible than I have presented myself to be).

Are you sure they weren't referring to the one in DCA? Also, if they are not part of WDW management they might be relaying old information since there was a time when it looked like TOT in WDW was going to get the GoTG conversion.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

Even if Universal didn't sue to stop it, the timeline would be crazy. With all the construction, You'd leave only 2 popular attractions at the studios. Well 3 if you count Star Tours as a popular attraction. Sorry as deft as TDO is I don't even think they would do this.

Dunston

Original Poster
Are you sure they weren't referring to the one in DCA? Also, if they are not part of WDW management they might be relaying old information since there was a time when it looked like TOT in WDW was going to get the GoTG conversion.
No, I know they were referring to the Tower of Terror in WDW. I know this because the son/daughter I mentioned moved to Orlando once his/her parent got the job Additionally, when my source told me this I said that I've heard this about the DCA ToT, but they told me that they in fact are referring to the WDW ride.

MagicHappens1971

Don't know if any of the OP rumor is true, but here are a few things to consider:
1). DHS is going away (the name at least). We don't know the new name or overall concept of the park. We do know it's getting at least 2 new lands. It's possible that ToT and RnRC will need new theming to fit into the new park concept.
Kathy Mangum stated "We're taking it from a behind the scenes, making of stories park, and we're trying to build a more immersive experience. Because that will allow our guests to step into their favorite movies". The new concept is still kind of unclear, but hope this helps answer #1 for you.

Daveeeeed

I'm in high school, and our English teacher showed us an episode of the Twilight Zone (I personally like old films like Gone with The Wind and have seen quite a few episodes of The TZ) most people my age could care less, but after everyone saw the episode everyone was in shock how good it was. The TZ is on par with Mr. Robot in terms of quality, but it's cultural impact is what makes it a super strong ip. The music, the suspense, it works perfectly for Tot; This is a well done ip that is not a book report but instead an original story using an ip that's intriguing, used well, and has staying power. That is why Tot should never be changed from the current theme. Not only is the ip perfect, but the detail of the ride itself, the technology, the iconic Tower. It's a classic along with Haunted Mansion & Spaceship Earth, and should NEVER be drastically rethemed. And like someone mentioned above an overlay might not be the best word, so why don't we use rethemed? It is a replacement for an attraction using the same infrastructure.

If Disney wants a Marvel land in Hollywood Studios that is perfectly fine and I will be super excited for it if done well, because it will fit the park perfectly. But if they don't want sightlines to be an issue like DCA would have been, they need to not put it right next to The Tower as they have the space unlike DCA. So I understand where Disney is coming from for DCA even if I would prefer different, but for Orlando there is ZERO reason for them to do the same. From the backlash received for DCA I feel like Disney has used DCA as a test to see what would happen if the far lesser of the two rides would be replaced. Thankfully this time they may have realized it and thank you so much @marni1971 for confirming this. Of course like Marni said, plans can change, but seemingly for once Disney will probably make the right move and not retheme it to Guardians.

Daveeeeed

No, I know they were referring to the Tower of Terror in WDW. I know this because the son/daughter I mentioned moved to Orlando once his/her parent got the job Additionally, when my source told me this I said that I've heard this about the DCA ToT, but they told me that they in fact are referring to the WDW ride.
That doesn't seem to match up with what insiders have said on here. It's not that I think you are lying, it's that you have a very new account compared to people that have broke news of The Tower of Terror getting replaced in DCA for the very first time among other things. We'll see I guess, but I very much so hope you heard the wrong information.

Animaniac93-98

Just to put IP part into perspective, by 1985 (the year that Studios would have been creatively locked down), TWDC had a library of 40 movies.

You're right about why they wanted to include other properties in the park, but only 40 movies? I'm pretty sure that number is wrong. They had 25 animated features alone by then, not including the live-action cataloge which started decades prior.

Also, of the 25 top-grossing Disney films, 23 have been released in this century. The only other two are Toy Story (1995), and Toy Story 2 (1999).

I'm guessing you didn't adjust for inflation.

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

I need some full assurance that this rumor is false. I am planning a trip for June and ToT is my favorite ride.

It would make little sense to shut the ride down THIS summer since nothing new will be open yet. 2018, perhaps, but not 2017. To the OP, I am hoping the person who told you about this meant 2018 and not 2017.

Additionally, this sounds like a younger person whom you heard this from. Are you sure they are credible and got all the facts right? If I were you, I'd confirm it with the parent who works there.

Daveeeeed

I need some full assurance that this rumor is false. I am planning a trip for June and ToT is my favorite ride.

It would make little sense to shut the ride down THIS summer since nothing new will be open yet. 2018, perhaps, but not 2017. To the OP, I am hoping the person who told you about this meant 2018 and not 2017.

Additionally, this sounds like a younger person whom you heard this from. Are you sure they are credible and got all the facts right? If I were you, I'd confirm it with the parent who works there.
Glad you could join the forums! It really is fun, and if you haven't already I would check out Imagineering and join a competition if you're into that kind of stuff. @marni1971 is arguably the most credible and well respected insider and he said there's no current plans for this and @WDW1974 who is equally as credible, has said that it is only going to DCA now and he was the one who originally broke the news about this. Personally I believe and hope this won't happen, but currently we have not reason to believe it will become a Guardians of The Galaxy attraction. Dropping the Twilight Zone ip could be possible, but even then I doubt anything major will happen to the tower before Star Wars Land opens.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Marni has said that the Tower is in no danger. You can trust Marni. :)

Jack Skeleton

Just a thought that came to mind. I wonder if they plan to change it to Mickey and friends like on the merchandise. It certainly would make sense with GMR, the RnRC rumor, and Fantasmic. It would also mean not having to change Sunset. That just leaves us with needing to change Beauty and the Beast to give a somewhat cohesive. Once again just a thought that came to mine with the comment of the TZ IP possibly going away.

PS

That could also be why the idea for the bar was changed

Thanks for the follow-ups. As I said earlier, I have been lurking around here for a while and it seems the consensus both here and elsewhere on the web is that Marni is indeed the expert here.

Please correct anything I have wrong in here for me. I want to make sure I have the most accurate information possible as I near my trip date.

I also saw an earlier post about "old information" on the part of the OP. I am wondering if this is the case because, from my reading around here, there was, at one time, a plan to convert both towers. I know it got scrapped because DHS has so few attractions at the moment--and that it probably won't be on the table again until something new opens (which won't be until 2018).

Furthermore, Tower of Terror is the park icon. It's on the website, the app, and the merchandise as such, with one item I saw going to far as to say DHS was established in 1994--the year the Tower of Terror opened.

There has, of course, also been a persistent rumor of Voyage of the Little Mermaid closing, which was supposed to happen in 2015. I'm curious as to where the source of that came from, as it was operational the last time I checked on it.

My guess is the source of the information (for the OP) was a teenager based on having to relocate with the parent. I work with teenagers as a tutor and I know they tend to get facts mixed up sometimes (no offense to any responsible teenagers who may be posting here, but let's face it--I have heard my share of wrong assignments, page numbers, due dates for papers, material to be on tests, etc). I am going to hope this is the case.

Regarding Mickey: he has actually been on the merchandise for at least 16 years. I have a Tower of Terror t-shirt from 2000 with a picture of Mickey stepping into an elevator printed on it. Mickey has a habit of finding his way into merchandise for any attraction because he is recognizable, marketable, and popular (for nearly 90 years). While I have certainly heard a lot about the Great Movie Ride possibly going to a Mickey format, I'm not sure if the rest of the park would fully support Mickey in that capacity. It's an interesting thought, and I certainly give you credit for it.

For Tower of Terror, if the Twilight Zone IP is dropped, why not use the existing Twilight Zone movie and use that story? It's basically the same story, but without Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone theming.

The bar idea came up in the very early summer, right around the time they were thinking of converting both towers, if I have my timeline correct. This would explain why it was scrapped.

Whatever the case, I am hoping Marni and the others are right and that Tower of Terror will be waiting for me the first week of June. (Seriously, I'd reschedule my trip to earlier if it were to close). I'm going to ride it more than my usual three times just in case, and I'm already earmarking a lot of money for souvenirs.

Tower of Terror has been my favorite ride since I was eight years old and has been my absolute favorite spot at Disney.

Last edited:

Longhairbear

I'm in high school, and our English teacher showed us an episode of the Twilight Zone (I personally like old films like Gone with The Wind and have seen quite a few episodes of The TZ) most people my age could care less, but after everyone saw the episode everyone was in shock how good it was. The TZ is on par with Mr. Robot in terms of quality, but it's cultural impact is what makes it a super strong ip. The music, the suspense, it works perfectly for Tot; This is a well done ip that is not a book report but instead an original story using an ip that's intriguing, used well, and has staying power. That is why Tot should never be changed from the current theme. Not only is the ip perfect, but the detail of the ride itself, the technology, the iconic Tower. It's a classic along with Haunted Mansion & Spaceship Earth, and should NEVER be drastically rethemed. And like someone mentioned above an overlay might not be the best word, so why don't we use rethemed? It is a replacement for an attraction using the same infrastructure.

If Disney wants a Marvel land in Hollywood Studios that is perfectly fine and I will be super excited for it if done well, because it will fit the park perfectly. But if they don't want sightlines to be an issue like DCA would have been, they need to not put it right next to The Tower as they have the space unlike DCA. So I understand where Disney is coming from for DCA even if I would prefer different, but for Orlando there is ZERO reason for them to do the same. From the backlash received for DCA I feel like Disney has used DCA as a test to see what would happen if the far lesser of the two rides would be replaced. Thankfully this time they may have realized it and thank you so much @marni1971 for confirming this. Of course like Marni said, plans can change, but seemingly for once Disney will probably make the right move and not retheme it to Guardians.
We have a young couple in their 20's in our neighborhood addicted to Twilight Zone, and have seen every episode. They love our TOT here in CA. When I was in college the professor showed 2 episodes of TZ in my film appreciation class as examples of excellent script writing, acting, and cinematic excellence...and it was a TV show!!!

Daveeeeed

We have a young couple in their 20's in our neighborhood addicted to Twilight Zone, and have seen every episode. They love our TOT here in CA. When I was in college the professor showed 2 episodes of TZ in my film appreciation class as examples of excellent script writing, acting, and cinematic excellence...and it was a TV show!!!
Sadly in Georgia at least most kids could care less about classic tv, even if they're the top of the top like the twilight zone. I think it's a matter of introducing them, and the tower of terror will keep that for generations to come. And mind you I am not saying all just most, I would be one of those who loves it. I've always liked classic films like Gone With the Wind & and tv like TZ, leave it to beaver etc. but sadly again most kids could care less, and they think I am crazy for quote on quote "loving a boring film that has a terrible story." Which is so untrue.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom