Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

NearTheEars

I never said I'm not bias. And kitschy wasn't meant in a derogatory manner. The original tower was clearly trying to capture the feeling of the original TV show with direct projections of Rod Serling, the animated spiral, and the eye and window appearing throughout. The original creation didn't try and update or modernize these iconic things, instead they embraced the feel of the show. Fun, well written, and full of 1950's low budget charm and creativity. I believe this was a conscious choice Disney made and it is effective.

For the newer Towers the re-recorded narration is darker and more menacing as is the music. They've replaced the callbacks to the show with more fright-based imagery and selling the ghost story aspect more.

The original has an ethereal feel with scenes quietly fading away as we feel like we're drifting through another realm. The new towers are focused more on Haunted house imagery. We don't see a window float away, instead we see a ghostly elevator drop, dooming the souls within. Then we drop. We don't pass through a nebulous realm between worlds, we see our reflection disappear as we become trapped in this hotel of spirits.

I prefer the menacing version with more modern effects as the 5th Dimension Room doesn't work for me and the hallway ending feels unfinished, but that's me.

I think the original is ambitious with making a thrill ride based around ghosts less of a horror attraction and more of cooky experience tied to the source material.

I think you are pretty spot on in your descriptions, but we certainly land on different ends of the spectrum as far as which is better. (And that's OK)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This whole rumor seems false. Disney can't even put marvel based attractions in their parks because of Universal Studios having Marvel Land in IOA. So a rumor about a Guardians of the Galaxy ride in Hollywood Studios would automatically be false.

The contract with Universal does not give them exclusivity to all Marvel characters, just the ones they are currently using in a significant way, and characters in the same family. So they have exclusivity to the Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Avengers characters. There is a strong argument to be made that GoTG doesn't fall into any of these families so Disney would be allowed to use them at WDW.

MagicHappens1971

The contract with Universal does not give them exclusivity to all Marvel characters, just the ones they are currently using in a significant way, and characters in the same family. So they have exclusivity to the Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Avengers characters. There is a strong argument to be made that GoTG doesn't fall into any of these families so Disney would be allowed to use them at WDW.
^ this omg I don't know how many times it can be stated

TP2000

Ah, but weren't many episodes adapted from existing short stories, which WERE written in the 50s?

No clue when the stories were written. I was just referencing the look of the show, the characters, and their environs. The hairdos, the fashion (hemlines, shoes, cuts of suits, the growing use of casual wear), the lingo, the culture, the aesthetics. It's classically early to mid 1960's. Say "Twilight Zone" and I immediately think 1960's, not 1950's.

I think there's a lot of folks under 40 who see its in black and white and just assume it was the 1950's, even though the hemlines are way too short, the ties are way too narrow, the hair is bouffant, etc., etc. The TV networks didn't transition to complete color broadcasts until about 1966 or '67.

Many shows that started pre-1962 remained in black and white for their full run into the mid 1960's. My God, I sure now how to get us off topic, don't I?

Last edited:

Professortango1

No clue when the stories were written. I was just referencing the look of the show, the characters, and their environs. The hairdos, the fashion (hemlines, shoes, cuts of suits, the growing use of casual wear), the lingo, the culture, the aesthetics. It's classically early to mid 1960's. Say "Twilight Zone" and I immediately think 1960's, not 1950's.

I think there's a lot of folks under 40 who see its in black and white and just assume it was the 1950's, even though the hemlines are way too short, the ties are way too narrow, the hair is bouffant, etc., etc. The TV networks didn't transition to complete color broadcasts until about 1966 or '67.

Many shows that started pre-1962 remained in black and white for their full run into the mid 1960's. My God, I sure now how to get us off topic, don't I?

It's just how decades are remembered by society. The era that people think of as "the 50's" is late 50's to mid 60's. Just as people think of 60's being more hippie movement, but that didn't really explode until 1967 with Woodstock in 1969. The imagery for decades usually is about 5-8 years off from the decade.

The Twilight Zone was created and ran around the same years as Leave it to Beaver, what many mistakingly identify as the quintessential 50's show.

TP2000

The Twilight Zone was created and ran around the same years as Leave it to Beaver, what many mistakingly identify as the quintessential 50's show.

I was going to mention Leave It To Beaver! The classic "50's" show that spent well over half its life in the 1960's; September, 1957 to June, 1963. 28 months in the 1950's, and 42 months in the 1960's.

I enjoy watching Burns & Allen reruns, and some of those episodes from 1951 to 1954 look a lot like the 1940's and are very formal in their presentation in that weird post-war way of early TV. Gracie Allen was hysterical in any decade though.

I think most folks under 40 would absolutely hate the 1950's and find it stifling and boring. But only because when they think of "The 1950's" they are really thinking of 1962. Like most Twilight Zone episodes. Dumb kids. :cool:

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

It's a great attraction, but DHS's is better. I'd argue the setup in DisneySea is better, but the ride itself is better in DHS.

Oh, I agree with that. The comment I was replying to wasn't about the ride experience itself, it was about the placement of the ride at the end of Sunset Blvd. and that it was a perfectly imagined area. I think TDS is far and away the more beautiful and "real" of the two.

ALL the Towers outside of DHS drive me nuts for one main reason...

I can't stand that you wait at your elevator door so that when it opens... You walk into a hallway with another elevator door.

:banghead:

Professortango1

I can't stand that you wait at your elevator door so that when it opens... You walk into a hallway with another elevator door.

Honestly, it is something that is easily overlooked or not even noticed. I remember the first half dozen times I rode I never noticed it. I then wondered how the load/unload worked and when I looked for it, the hallway was obvious, but when you're immersed in the show, you are so interested in moving through the doors to the elevator and messing with your seat belt.

Hey that's ok! I'm proud of the fact that we can respectfully disagree and not resort to childish name calling or anything of the sort :) ;)

Precisely why I'm enjoying being on this forum and following this thread!! I've seen too many uncivil discussions about everything on other forums (including topics far more serious than the theming of Tower of Terror) where it turns into a war...

EPICOT

Oh, I agree with that. The comment I was replying to wasn't about the ride experience itself, it was about the placement of the ride at the end of Sunset Blvd. and that it was a perfectly imagined area. I think TDS is far and away the more beautiful and "real" of the two.

This was my issue with DCA's tower when I visited DL earlier this year. It really takes you out of the immersion of the boiler room and service elevator to see a somewhat unthemed hallway and the other people exiting the ride safely. To me this is a huge flaw as it reminds that you are on a ride, not in the actual environment of a haunted hotel. The DHS version will always be better due to this reason.

habuma

The DHS Tower is *the* attraction at WDW that resonated most with me after my first visit. It's the attraction I point to as the best example of Disney park attractions not only being rides, but being experiences; There's a story being told and you're in it. And, as a fan of the Twilight Zone, I find it to be one of the best (and near-perfect) Disney attractions anywhere.

I also really like the DCA Tower, but it wasn't the same. The shorter ride, the missing 5th Dimension scene, and the on-ride voice that isn't quite Rod Serling sorta ruin it for me. I'm sad that the west coast Tower is being rethemed, but not nearly as sad as if it were to happen to the east coast Tower.

That said, if Disney decides not to continue paying licensing for TZ, I'd hope that they do a theme much like the DisneySea Tower. While I prefer the TZ theme, the Harrison Hightower story and the link to SEA is appealing. In fact, whatever they do with the Tower, I would love to see Disney play out that SEA story in other attractions. I'm intrigued by the idea that there could be many attractions, each with its distinct backstory, but linked together by the common element of a member of SEA being involved.

Princess Leia

After this weekend, we all know who is really going into the Tower of Terror...

David S. Pumpkins
tomhanksdavidspumpkinssnl.png.CROP.promo-xlarge2.png

Any questions?

Last edited:

Stripes

Premium Member
Don't worry.

It is not happening. As in not happening.

The TZ IP may go, but as it stands Guardians is not being overlayed.
PLEASE!! I beg you Disney! @marni1971 Please bring us good news!

Edit: to be fair to Martin, and to prevent anyone from harping on him, he followed that post, saying: "Just to cover my back I'll say there's no current plans. As always things can change but as of yesterday there are no plans for a Guardians overlay."

Though we still don't know what's going on, Martin's input is always VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! We all know how many times Disney has changed plans in an instant.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Marvel should have a much larger presence in HWS dependent on Guardians going to Epcot, and @marni1971 said it is not the tower of terror. I would say it is it safe to assume Star Tours, Rock n' Roller Coaster, a mini-land with one ride in (probably) Animation Courtyard, or a clone of the future Marvel land going to DCA will have Marvel taking it over. Rock n' Roller coaster in my mind has no business getting rethemed, it just needs an update as the ride has very high waits even more so than the tower of terror. Of course that is due to slightly less capacity and being he most thrilling coaster on property, but still that says a lot. Being inside and with the music works so well. As long as the Tower, Mansion, Spaceship Earth, and Splash Mountain and really The Great Movie Ride never get a retheme I'm good (for the most part:)). I feel like if Hollywood Studios would get a water ride like Shanghai Pirates or Grizzly river run, and then have either a new miniland or muppets ride, and as a 2020's Phase 4 a new ip land the park would be the second worst Disney park to one of Disney's best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom