Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

matt9112

Honestly don't need to. Pictures of the exterior are enough for me. Any impressive animatronics or music could have been included in a purpose built attraction that doesn't destroy the feel of an entire park, let alone a good attraction. I didn't imply that it was a review of the attraction, just my opinion of the project itself. If you feel differently then that's your opinion, fair enough. To each his own.

this....so much of this....

we can and will judge look at it...its a disgusting 200 foot tall piece of crap that destroys the skyline of that park.

Captain Neo

I have it on good authority (I cannot give up my source, but they are in the higher-ups of parks/hotel management) that the Tower of Terror in ORLANDO will be refurbished into a Guardians of the Galaxy Ride just as the one in Disneyland California will be. They have told me to "ride it while you can, because it won't be there next summer." I know people may not believe me, but I heard it straight from the horse's mouth and feel the need to share this upsetting news. I cannot share the identity of my source, for the sake of the security of their position.

IF they do it then they need to pay off Universal so that they can redo that area into a full Marvel Land like they are doing in DCA because the theming would be absolutely dumb if its just guardians tower in the middle of old Hollywood.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Never say never in the crazy world of theme parks. It makes you nervous that GotG has gone quiet with their move into EPCOT's EoE.

They did it at DCA. Guess they can here too.

giphy.gif

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
He didn't. Disney only acknowledges what is announced and unannounced plans change.

From last year's D23:

The first rumor Chapek addressed was that Tower of Terror would be getting a Guardians of the Galaxy makeover. This rumor gained traction as the same makeover was not only announced for the California Adventure version, but construction began almost overnight. However, Chapek put to rest any lingering rumors or fears that the same would happen at Hollywood Studios by stating rather definitively that changes were not in the works in Florida.

Gee, kinda sounds like he did....

lazyboy97o

From last year's D23:

The first rumor Chapek addressed was that Tower of Terror would be getting a Guardians of the Galaxy makeover. This rumor gained traction as the same makeover was not only announced for the California Adventure version, but construction began almost overnight. However, Chapek put to rest any lingering rumors or fears that the same would happen at Hollywood Studios by stating rather definitively that changes were not in the works in Florida.

Gee, kinda sounds like he did....
Disney has a long history of making similar statements regarding unannounced projects, with plenty being shortly followed up by a contradictory announcement. Regardless of any plans at that time, there would have been a dismissal. Bay Lake Tower was denied despite steel being erected ten stories high. When asked, Disney did not admit to the gondola project that is being built despite public records showing it is happening.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Disney has a long history of making similar statements regarding unannounced projects, with plenty being shortly followed up by a contradictory announcement. Regardless of any plans at that time, there would have been a dismissal.

So are you saying we can't take the word of the President of P&R given at the major Disney fan conference?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So are you saying we can't take the word of the President of P&R given at the major Disney fan conference?
I guess it depends on what "not in the works in Florida" means... for all we know, it might have meant that Florida wasn't planning the project (but Anaheim was planning the project on behalf of Florida).

lazyboy97o

You, and many others, are projecting a future commitment to a comment regarding the present. "I will not get a hair cut today" is not a promise to never get a hair cut in the future. That is how Disney speaks, only announced projects are acknowledged and plans always change. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror closing at Disney's California Adventure was itself denied until it was announced.

NearTheEars

Honestly don't need to. Pictures of the exterior are enough for me. Any impressive animatronics or music could have been included in a purpose built attraction that doesn't destroy the feel of an entire park, let alone a good attraction. I didn't imply that it was a review of the attraction, just my opinion of the project itself. If you feel differently then that's your opinion, fair enough. To each his own.

I'm usually against people offering opinions of attractions they've never experienced, but I'm perfectly OK with being hypocritical on this one. They ruined an already great attraction and shortchanged a popular IP.

Roknrollrghostr

Just read a review on IGN.com.
Not saying this is the definitive review but thought I would share. They essentially go on to say this is a better ride than TOT.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/05/25/the-disneyland-guardians-of-the-galaxy-ride-is-awesome
I think there is an important distinction to be made here. They are saying it's a better ride than Disneyland's TOT. There are some big differences between the east coast and west coast versions of the ride. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the article, but I will doubt it would be better than WDW's tower.

Otterhead

They ruined an already great attraction and shortchanged a popular IP.
The west coast ToT was always a smaller, less engaging version of the original; it was a perfectly good ride, but its theming and atmosphere paled greatly to the WDW version.

All of the photos and videos of the GotG re-skin look terrific. It's full of awesome atmosphere for fans of the movies, the AA Rocket looks great, and this gives the west coast its own unique ride rather than a lesser version of the ToT. My expectations weren't very high, but they really rose to the occasion on this.

matt9112

More or less no you cant.....not only do plans change over time and Chapik may be correct that day and wrong a week later but More so they do what ever is best to calm the fan base. To shutter backlash so to speak and than if they want to do it overnight the momentum of pushback had already ended so there's less pressure on Disney to back down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom