Closed Mansion Pics

hauntdmansion79

This has been a long time coming and the wait is finally over....the Haunted Mansion is getting a good quality well-deserved refurbishment!!!!! It's impressive that it's gone this long without any major renovations. I like how the sign is written by Master Gracey and that is confirms that he has been our "Ghost Host" all these years, it's fitting that he would tour us around his own mansion I guess. I like how he said he was leaving the mansion to find new spirits....good for him, he doesn't get the chance to get out much! And the wooden door is at least a step up from what they usually do with refurbishment walls.

The Haunted Mansion is absolutely my favorite attraction. I day dream about being on the ride 365 days a year, except for those wonderful lucky days where I actually am riding the attraction. I listen to the audio tracks on my computer while I work, I'm obsessed with the effects and history... I just love it!

I am hoping for added animatronics and not just new video and audio effects. I actually think since Haunted Mansion is in the same league as Pirates, it will get animatronics. I think the attic and staircase is the best choice for major additions.

So if there is no dog howling during the renovations, then Master Gracey must have taken the old pooch with him. It will be earie to here the mansion silent while it's being worked on. Side note, how AWESOME would it be to be doing the work inside the mansion!!!!!!!!!! Lucky people.

Vernonpush

From today's Orlando Sentinel:
Horror of horrors! Tourists hoping to experience The Haunted Mansion at Disney's Magic Kingdom are being greeted by a "Closed for renovations" sign tacked to a locked gate.

Disney plans its first major overhaul of the popular Humor-driven attraction this summer, including technology updates and a few new ghosts. The ride closed Wednesday and should reopen by mid-September.

Ride designers are promising revisions consistent with those made recently at other "classic" Magic Kingdom attractions such as the Pirates of the Caribbean ride last year and the It's a Small World ride the year before -- enhancing effects without altering the story or traditional features.
"It's going to be fabulous," said show producer Kathy Rogers of Walt Disney Imagineering.

Yet as with the Pirates and Small World attractions -- considered classics partly because of their roots to legendary Disney designers and even Walt Disney himself -- The Haunted Mansion's loyal following presents both a blessing and a curse.

On Friday, the locked gate at The Haunted Mansion's entrance drew a steady stream of visitors who approached, grumbled and moved on. For the Uhlir family from Lake Zurich, Ill., and the Saar family from Boston, the promise of improvements in three months was little consolation.

"It was a great ride. I really looked forward to it. Now it's closed," said Daniel Uhlir, 12, visiting with his parents, Jeff and Beth, and brother Kevin, 5.

"Why do they have to close it now?" asked Tanya Saar, who arrived with daughter Anastasia, 8.

When it comes to finding a three-month window to close the ride, the logistics are complicated, said Phil Holmes, Disney World vice president for Magic Kingdom.

"Off-season" crowds now are so strong that there is little difference with the summer season, Holmes said. During the summer, virtually all other attractions are open, so this wound up being the best possible time, he said.

Holmes, who was a ride attendant when the Magic Kingdom opened 36 years ago, said he is as fond of The Haunted Mansion as anyone.

He said he understands the consternation of park visitors confronted by the "closed" sign. He said Magic Kingdom got the same reaction when the Pirates and Small World rides were temporarily closed.

"Each time, I think, we came out the other side and people embraced and appreciated the fact that it was refreshed, even improved," Holmes said.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

Master__Gracey

I love the touch of Master Gracey's note - it's classic Disney - and what sets it apart from other theme parks.
Exactly. I think the door and especially the sign are awesome, don't get that at other parks! As a HM fan I like that it's getting the work it needs, let's just hope Jack stays out of it. :hurl:

SGT623

Original Poster
Update 6/13/07

Here are a few pics from today:

HMUPDATE613.jpg

HMUPDATE613a.jpg

Over the wall:
HMUPDATE613b.jpg

HMUPDATE613c.jpg

I'll update the first post

GymLeaderPhil

Is it too early to say that this is the best refurb wall yet? I don't want to make any claims, because I'm sure they're about to add more theming to it! :lol:

CTXRover

Very neat job they did with the refurb wall. Thanks for the photos! I thought the simple refurb wall from last week was nice since it had that gate, but I didn't expect them to further theme it this well. Another example of attention to detail that Disney is famous for even if it is something incredibly minor. Kudos to Disney! :) Hopefully it bodes well for the attention being given to the actual refurb inside.

dxwwf3

All right the MK getting some love. Even if it is only a refurb wall, hopefully it's a sign of things to come. We do notice things like this and appreciate them. Well done.

Beauty_Belle

I agree! Finally a classic Walt Disney attraction getting some much needed TLC. I'm excited to see what changes are in store. I rode it about a month before it closed, just to try to catch the little things (like the hidden mickey in the graveyard). It will be interesting if they totally change it from Disneyland's version. I heard a rumor (now take this with a grain of salt), that the Madam Leto scene will be similar to the one in Disneyland (I must admit I was impressed with the floating head). The scene that I hope they don't change too much is the ballroom scene....that's one of my favorites!!!
I wonder what parts will be tweeked or changed.....Oh the excitment!!! Between this and SSE, it's a very exciting time at Disney!
Still, it will be nice to see it refreshed and rejuvenated!:sohappy:

On a side note, did anyone get on the day before and notice and changes?

Billy6

Got to ride it on the last day, June 5th..long lines all day, but it goes pretty fast... Audio was down in the grave yard, but I noticed something that I havent before..One of the singing statues was "broken" and off to the side of the stand, but still projecting the face.. Has that been like that ???

Sad to see the wall up but I must agree, better than the "GREEN MONSTER'' walls of old....

Slowjack

I would think it would be so people didn't have to walk in so far to find out it was closed. The wall goes up to furthest point it can without blocking a shop
Actually, I'm assuming that old boat dock on the left behind the wall is part of the refurbishment in some way--the rumored gift shop addition, perhaps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom