Classic WDW logo disappearing from monorails?

Goofyernmost

Important? Seriously? I have been going there for 32 years and this is the first time I have seen them or even knew they existed. Yup, they are truly a thing to be missed. Another thought here, I don't see it as ever being an important thing anymore. Since they have stopped letting people ride up front it isn't even visible for most people. They did, however, as someone mentioned, use it internally for the carpeting where people actually do see it and can appreciate it. Wouldn't that be better?

dstrawn9889

DSC08123_0.JPG

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Important? Seriously? I have been going there for 32 years and this is the first time I have seen them or even knew they existed. Yup, they are truly a thing to be missed. Another thought here, I don't see it as ever being an important thing anymore. Since they have stopped letting people ride up front it isn't even visible for most people. They did, however, as someone mentioned, use it internally for the carpeting where people actually do see it and can appreciate it. Wouldn't that be better?

Hey goof you are slipping, These have been on the monorails since day 1

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's a shame. I actually used to notice them and thought they were a great reminder of Walt Disney world history but it seems Disney corporate just wants to stamp anything like that out

Well after all it's Pharaoh Iger who is hammering out Walt's cartouches so he can rename TWDC to IgerCo in order to make 'Old Dead Guy Walt' just another BRAND.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I always find it strangely re-assuring when Goofyer supports the removal of anything unique with the replacement of generic. I enjoy the contrarian views that the little things don't matter and that the difference isn't in the details. All hail the sea of sameness....

*1023*

P.S. I get to ride in the front of monorails whenever I want at the airport....

Phil12

its on every street in the Parks... not tacky, unifying
No, it is not. The icon is supposed to represent WDW. Yet the monorail does not serve all of WDW. If they are going to use the WDW icon on the monorail, then the icon should be cut in half to show that the monorail only serves two of the four parks. Of course, the monorail doesn't go to DTD either so maybe they should cut the icon to show only one third. Also, each park within WDW has their own icon. Some of the parks such as EPCOT have multiple icons. The fact of the matter is that TWDC has diluted its identity by having more icons than Carter has little liver pills. But for TWDC it's easy to create an icon and then throw it away for another as the mood strikes them. The BAH is a good example. And of course Disneyland has their own icon as do all the other Disney parks.

It would be totally appropriate to use the WDW icon on all the buses at WDW because they serve the entire park. I seem to remember that the WDW icon also appears on all the manhole covers.

20110306_wdw.png

Last edited:

jakeman

So...I'm not really sure either extreme could be argued effectively in this case.

It's a little detail that seems to be missing that was a unifying feature of the resort from the beginning that has gone out of style and come back into style in a retro way. It is currently used rather inconsistently across the park.

It's not the end times nor is it something that can be easily dismissed as inconsequential.

Goofyernmost

I always find it strangely re-assuring when Goofyer supports the removal of anything unique with the replacement of generic. I enjoy the contrarian views that the little things don't matter and that the difference isn't in the details. All hail the sea of sameness....

*1023*

P.S. I get to ride in the front of monorails whenever I want at the airport....
Nice try at sarcasm, however, there are certain things that really have no particular impact on the overall experience. It's a detail, yes, but, not one that has any underlying history other then they once used it on the front of the monorail. You know what does have significance? The banner on the skirting that says "Walt Disney World Monorail System". That is highly visible and memorable. That, however, has disappeared on a lot of the fleet as well. Where's the outrage? The one you guys are talking about is in reality not much more then a smart phone app.

Goofyernmost

It would be totally appropriate to use the WDW icon on all the buses at WDW because they serve the entire park. I seem to remember that the WDW icon also appears on all the manhole covers.

20110306_wdw.png
I'll tell you this, if it disappears from the manhole covers I will be incensed. (That was sarcasm, btw)

Monorail_Red

Like others have said, it's simply an oversight. I also heard shop has new management, and I hope there is better attention to detail. Silver was repainted 7 or so years ago and the emblems were left off. Yellow was repainted after Silver and the emblems were not forgotten. Since then I believe the only trains to receive full paint jobs were Teal and Peach. With Coral for the TRON wrap, they painted the roofs & cabs, and the rest was wrapped. When the wrap was removed, only the roofs and cabs were repainted. The rest of the train was untouched. Which is disappointing, because Coral had the worst paint job of them all. It had several different shades of paint, and sloppy deltas. I believe the same is true for Red and Black - only the cabs and roofs were repainted. If you look at the window vents on Monorail Peach - the tail cars have grey window vents, and the rest of the train has black vents. Personally I think the black vents look better, but either way they should match.

Phil12

So...I'm not really sure either extreme could be argued effectively in this case.

It's a little detail that seems to be missing that was a unifying feature of the resort from the beginning that has gone out of style and come back into style in a retro way. It is currently used rather inconsistently across the park.

It's not the end times nor is it something that can be easily dismissed as inconsequential.
I agree and I think it's time for a new symbol. An icon that looks to the future and that all Disney fans can get behind.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Nice try at sarcasm, however, there are certain things that really have no particular impact on the overall experience. It's a detail, yes, but, not one that has any underlying history other then they once used it on the front of the monorail. You know what does have significance? The banner on the skirting that says "Walt Disney World Monorail System". That is highly visible and memorable. That, however, has disappeared on a lot of the fleet as well. Where's the outrage? The one you guys are talking about is in reality not much more then a smart phone app.

Clearly it was more than a try as you acknowledge the sarcasm.

Certain Things:

How many details you are comfortable loosing? As others have mentioned, isn't the detail at WDW important? If not, they should call WDW Theme Park 2, Theme Park 4, Theme Park 5, and Theme Park 8. (Not sure I got those numbers right, but hey who cares about detail.)

Why have a large sign from one side of the highway to the other welcoming you to WDW? Wouldn't a normal town border sign do?

Why paint all the store fronts on Main Street different colors? Wouldn't a nice beige on all of the buildings be good enough?

Why have area specific background music or smells? Just one piece of music should be good enough. Heck, why not eliminate it all together? Do they really have to pump the smell from the bakery?

Specifically speaking of monorails, why not paint them all the same color? You could just put a number on the front.

Why blow a citrus smell at you in Soarin'? Isn't the experience the same when that's not working?

Are you the person that decides those certain things? You seem to be.

Changing something isn't a big deal in and of itself. Removing a single detail is no big deal. Removing lots of detail in many places starts to become a big deal.

Losing quality, detail, maintenance and nuance turns a landmark into a Six Flags. Loosing things is hard because getting new things has become infrequent.

In similar discussion threads, there seems to be 2 sides of these issues. One side observes things around them and says," It's not as good as it was, but it's good enough. The other side observes those things and says, " Meet the expectations you have always presented as the standard."

Saw the logos on monorail lime yesterday. They're also putting new classic WDW logo carpet on the interior. People need to chill out.

I'm cooler than the other side of the pillow.

I can't wait to see some new carpet.

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom