Classic WDW logo disappearing from monorails?

peachykeen

They open and close all the doors for that side of the train. The fact that when you press them it either makes the door chime to open or the "please stand clear of the doors" recording makes it even that much more appealing to press them!

A shop manager was about to trash one of those door panels one night, because it wasn't working right and they couldn't fix it. I had just brought a train to shop and was talking to him and he offered it to me. I still have it and it's one of my prized possessions from my time at Disney. It came off of Monorail Pink.

Sometimes when I feel nostalgic I dig it out and push "E" "A" just to hear/feel that familiar click and imagine the chimes.

It was always fun to hit "E" "C" just to see a family start to jump in/out of the train and have to click them like a mad man to try to keep the doors open.

Figment2005

They open and close all the doors for that side of the train. The fact that when you press them it either makes the door chime to open or the "please stand clear of the doors" recording makes it even that much more appealing to press them!
Question is, would someone outside of the department know the proper sequence to open them?

Figment2005

A shop manager was about to trash one of those door panels one night, because it wasn't working right and they couldn't fix it. I had just brought a train to shop and was talking to him and he offered it to me. I still have it and it's one of my prized possessions from my time at Disney. It came off of Monorail Pink.

Sometimes when I feel nostalgic I dig it out and push "E" "A" just to hear/feel that familiar click and imagine the chimes.

It was always fun to hit "E" "C" just to see a family start to jump in/out of the train and have to click them like a mad man to try to keep the doors open.
Evil, but still used today. Nothing gets a party on the train quicker.

articos

Well to be fair I can only say for a fact that the Mark IV's, Mark VI's when they were delivered and when they were repainted had the D painted on it is possible that they are using stickers now. All previous D's were painted though. In fact it's very hard to tell in the photo I posted but on that D on Coral the paint was running before it dried and was quite visible in person. Stickers don't drip. As for the complexity of painting the D it is just as easy to have a stencil cut to shape as it is a sticker. It would also probably be difficult to match the color and finish perfectly of the sticker to the paint.
They are currently decals. Easier, more uniform and less man-hours, if they actually take the time to put them back.

Monorail Mike

Original Poster
To be honest, I'm not 100% but I believe the E is for Engage, the A is for All, and the C is for Close. The numbers just correspond to the car it belongs to. Each car can be opened individually, but all the doors must close at the same time.

Cool, thanks! I have a picture of me standing by the driver's door (when you could still ride in the front) and the the buttons are clearly visible. I watched the driver operate the controls, just never knew what the letters stood for.

FYI, I found the supplier of the switches a while ago...
http://www.xymox.com/about/27-membrane-switches/dura-switch.html

Disney.jpg

Last edited:

articos

To be honest, I'm not 100% but I believe the E is for Engage, the A is for All, and the C is for Close. The numbers just correspond to the car it belongs to. Each car can be opened individually, but all the doors must close at the same time.
I believe it refers to the positioning of the doors: Entry position or Close position. Have to dig deeper.

peachykeen

I believe it refers to the positioning of the doors: Entry position or Close position. Have to dig deeper.

I was also told in training that E was for Engage. Of course the trainer could have been wrong as well haha. I would think, though, that it wouldn't mean Entry since you have to push E while closing the doors also.

Monorail Mike

Original Poster
I was also told in training that E was for Engage. Of course the trainer could have been wrong as well haha. I would think, though, that it wouldn't mean Entry since you have to push E while closing the doors also.

Makes sense. I remember that 2 buttons had to be pressed at the same time to close the doors. It's a good safety feature, someone was thinking when they designed that control panel.

articos

Nope, you're right, I'm wrong! It's the dual safety that was ported over from the Mark IV doors. I'll shut up now. :) Sorry @Figment2005 .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom