Citrus Dreamin' - A NEW Imagineering Competition - Chat and Hype Thread

DisneyManOne

What Armchair Imagineering Project are you most proud of?

I'm proud of how far my Mirror Walt Disney World has progressed; and I even intend to do an updated version sometime next year. But regarding competitions, I really look back fondly on the projects I did -- both with my fellow members of Team Cassie and my final solo project -- for What If...?; particularly the Woods of Wonder, the Universe of Energy refresh and my "What if Mission: SPACE was actually good?" final project.

What do you think you best talent is?

Writing. I love writing out ideas and prompts for Armchair Imagineering; and I love the stories one can tell through it.

What do you hope to get better at during this game?

I hope to get better at learning more about theme parks beyond Disney and Universal. I admit, when we've done projects in competitions about these kind of parks, I am mainly at a loss. I don't really know them as well as Disney and Universal; so if a project does come about regarding these kinds of parks, I want to learn a lot more in order to make the project more realistic.

JokersWild

It's a tough thing because functionally it really isn't that different from just hopping on Google Images and finding a reference photo. But then again its easy to tell a reference photo and those are usually more generic filler. But if AI is being used to get super specific then at that point, its not replacing reference photos its replacing what should be your own unique art. And what's the point of doing that in a game that is about showing off, expanding, and celebrating your creative skills?

A quote I really liked about AI writing went "Why should I bother reading something you couldn't be bother to write?" But again, that's assuming AI art is used to replace what would've otherwise been original art instead of just replacing stock photos. I'm not totally against it always and forever in all circumstance. But I feel like I'd rather a horrible pencil sketch on a post it note over a masterpiece by AI. And for now with generative AI where it is and the ethics of what it references and how still being worked out, a rule against it seems better. But I do see a very real potential use for it in future games depending on how it develops

Fun fact: A very early idea I had for this game was to do sort of a Tron theme with human imagineers battling the MCP for control over creativity or whatever. With the gimmick being that the in addition to projects by the players, they'd also be competing against a third "team" that was fully AI Generated projects. But ultimately beyond the gimmick of it being neat, it just didn't seem fun. Plus, again, the ethical concerns with generative AI are still a thing being figured out which makes me definitely not want to use it for something big like that. But the humans vs machines gimmick is something that might be worth coming back to on down the line
That’s absolutely valid. I think I’m just more forgiving because I’m so unconfident in my art, though I have been slowly working to change that. But I totally get what you mean in rather seeing something created by a person rather than a computer’s approximation of someone’s idea.

I actually really like the idea of competing against an AI team. I’m not sure it’d work for an entire game, but it’d be a fun gimmick for a few rounds.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
What Armchair Imagineering Project are you most proud of?

I'm proud of how far my Mirror Walt Disney World has progressed; and I even intend to do an updated version sometime next year. But regarding competitions, I really look back fondly on the projects I did -- both with my fellow members of Team Cassie and my final solo project -- for What If...?; particularly the Woods of Wonder, the Universe of Energy refresh and my "What if Mission: SPACE was actually good?" final project.

What do you think you best talent is?

Writing. I love writing out ideas and prompts for Armchair Imagineering; and I love the stories one can tell through it.

What do you hope to get better at during this game?

I hope to get better at learning more about theme parks beyond Disney and Universal. I admit, when we've done projects in competitions about these kind of parks, I am mainly at a loss. I don't really know them as well as Disney and Universal; so if a project does come about regarding these kinds of parks, I want to learn a lot more in order to make the project more realistic.
Potentially the best writer on the forum! Great to have you with us here in the orange groves!

That’s absolutely valid. I think I’m just more forgiving because I’m so unconfident in my art, though I have been slowly working to change that. But I totally get what you mean in rather seeing something created by a person rather than a computer’s approximation of someone’s idea.

I actually really like the idea of competing against an AI team. I’m not sure it’d work for an entire game, but it’d be a fun gimmick for a few rounds.
Admittedetly I don't remember seeing much of your art, but I guarantee it can't be worse than some of the stuff I've drawn over the years lol.

The song choice really sells it hahaha

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Question of the day!
What are some of your favorite books?
I truly believe that if you want to get better at writing, then reading is one of the best things you can do. One thing I've gotten complimented on the most over the years on the forum which helps me stand out has been the way I integrate comedy into my writing. While there's a lot of things I can credit my sense of humor to, some of the biggest influence that helps me a lot are my two favorite book series. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Series of Unfortunate Events. Both amazing books, both with incredible senses of humor, and both with a lot of similarities in style despite one being British sci-fi and one being American kid's books

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
Question of the day!
1709565757230.png

1709566260863.png

Sigourney Weaver Movie GIF

1709566113318.png

1709566221476.png

Last edited:

PerGron

Question of the day!
As a dyslexic, I don’t read a whole lot, but I do use Audible (but it’s mostly for scientific nonfiction animal/nature stuff. Shocker, I know)

When it comes to narrative stories, I’ve gotta go with Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton being my all time favorite.

I’m also a big fan of The Fisherman by John Langan, The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones, Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton, and the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
As a dyslexic, I don’t read a whole lot, but I do use Audible (but it’s mostly for scientific nonfiction animal/nature stuff. Shocker, I know)

When it comes to narrative stories, I’ve gotta go with Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton being my all time favorite.

I’m also a big fan of The Fisherman by John Langan, The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones, Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton, and the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.
I absolutely agree with the Jurassic Park one, never read the book but I watched a lot of videos about the book

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

Audible is a life saver! A good portion of my "reading" over the years have been audio books in the car lol

ThemeParkPriest

Question of the day!
I don’t play video games currently. I typically have about 4-5 books that I’m reading—usually 1 fiction and the rest theology books (probably not too surprising!). I’ll focus on the fictional ones here. The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce by CS Lewis are worth reads (or in my case, re-reads). Im a big fan, too, of murder mysteries—I’ll give some preference to GK Chesterton’s Father Brown series, followed by Agatha Christie.

PerGron

I absolutely agree with the Jurassic Park one, never read the book but I watched a lot of videos about the book
It's absolutely worth the read. I've "read" it around 13 times at this point, first time in like 8th grade and then every couple years since. I love the movie, it's my favorite film of all time, but the book is so good on its own and the two work together to tell the same story in unique yet equally good ways.

JokersWild

Question of the day!
I’m trying to read more, but when I was reading a lot, I loved Jules Verne, I’m sure to no one’s surprise. A few months ago I read House of Leaves which was really really cool if not a bit full of itself. I really highly recommend it if you’re looking for metafiction that forces you to change how you read.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Question of the day!
Series: Harry Potter, Keeper of the Lost Cities, the Hunger Games, Percy Jackson (and all other series by R.R.)

Standalone Books: The Westing Game, And Then There Were None, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1000 & 1 Arabian Nights, Black Beauty, Charlie and the Choco. Factory

Comics: They Called Us Enemy, Maus, American-Born Chinese

[to name a few.]

WaltWiz1901

Question of the day!
Of the many art/design books I have, these are the tops...
  • The Walt Disney Film Archives
  • Mickey Mouse: The Ultimate History
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Search for the Lost Disney Cartoons
  • Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies: A Companion to the Classic Cartoon Series
  • Winnie the Pooh: A Celebration of the Silly Old Bear
  • The They Drew as They Pleased books
  • Walt Disney's Ultimate Inventor: The Genius of Ub Iwerks
  • Marc Davis In His Own Words: Imagineering the Disney Theme Parks
  • The Art and Flair of Mary Blair: An Appreciation
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind-the-Dreams Look at Making MORE Magic Real

As for series' and the works of a specific author as a collective whole (including many of my childhood favorites)...
  • Dr. Seuss
  • The Railway Series by the Reverend W. Awdry (the genesis for what was one of my biggest childhood fanaticisms, if not the biggest)
  • The Arthur books by Marc Brown (ditto!)
  • The Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park (Denise Brunkus is an underrated illustrator)
  • The Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey
  • The Big Nate novels by Lincoln Peirce (I'm also fond of the original comics, myself)

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Most of my reading is comics and news articles. I really need to read more but I have a difficult time just actually starting.
I feel ya. My "I want to read" list is much longer than my "I've actually read more than 2 chapters of this book in the last year" list lol

Any good comic recommendations? I just started Scott Pilgrim and love it so far

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom