Citrus Dreamin' - A NEW Imagineering Competition - Chat and Hype Thread

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
IMG_6891.jpeg

Idaho native finally making his way to Silverwood!

spacemt354

Chili's
Just got recommended this! The ride must be opening soon!
View attachment 788594
Disney dropped the POV today

In case anyone is trying to avoid spoilers I won't post it but will share some feedback
Very disappointing, but not unexpected. Splash is one of my favorite attractions of all time. And once the initial shock of them removing it wore off, I was hopeful that this attraction would at least offer a quality follow up even if it didn't surpass the original.

But watching the POV feels so ...corporate.

The AAs are the highlight for me as well as some of the lighting aspects, however the storyline is a complete miss for me. There's no tension, no real message. Everything is happy and great.

While I'm not the biggest fan of book report rides, this was where it might have come in handy as the pre-made ride path was set up perfectly for Dr. Facilier 'Friends on the other side' to be the new Laughin' Place scene. But instead we get this weird, lifeless section that builds no tension to the drop.

All in all, on video at least this is my least favorite ride remake. I've grown to like Frozen Ever After, Runaway Railway, Guardians, etc. I can't see myself ever doing that with this ride. Princess and the Frog deserved so much better.

Chaos Cat

In case anyone is trying to avoid spoilers I won't post it but will share some feedback
Very disappointing, but not unexpected. Splash is one of my favorite attractions of all time. And once the initial shock of them removing it wore off, I was hopeful that this attraction would at least offer a quality follow up even if it didn't surpass the original.

The AAs are the highlight for me as well as some of the lighting aspects, however the storyline is a complete miss for me. There's no tension, no real message. Everything is happy and great.

While I'm not the biggest fan of book report rides, this was where it might have come in handy as the pre-made ride path was set up perfectly for Dr. Facilier 'Friends on the other side' to be the new Laughin' Place scene. But instead we get this weird, lifeless section that builds no tension to the drop.

All in all, on video at least this is my least favorite ride remake. I've grown to like Frozen Ever After, Runaway Railway, Guardians, etc. I can't see myself ever doing that with this ride. Princess and the Frog deserved so much better.
Overall, I'd say the ride isn't bad, per se, but it is a noticable downgrade from Splash. I like that it's trying to be it's own thing instead just a book-report and there are some scenes that are I really like (that final scene is so, so good), but as a whole, it's just kind of... eh. Not the worse case scenario, but sure as hell not the best.

The AAs are in a weird spot for me because while the main ones are good, the animal band members are... noticably cheaper. And even then, there's still less overall AAs than Splash had, so there's noticable gaps just nothingness. What really gets me about this is that they chose this IP presumably because it would be a relatively easy change-over, but then they didn't even bother trying to work the AAs in and instead just took them out. Like, they went out of their way to create this problem.

To be honestly, the story, on paper, is fine. Yeah, it's a bit toothless, but there have been perfectly good rides with silmarly toothless stories (hello, Small World), plus, again, at least it's trying to be it's own thing and not just a book-report ride. So I'm fine with the story... in theory. The problem is that the story does not fit a log flume ride. This is a ride system that thrives on the thrill factor, so why the story so low tension? The fact that Disney had to constantly deemphasize the final drop (you know, the main selling point of log flumes) in both the ride's design and the marketing should have been a sign to everyone involved that they were doing something wrong.

(Also, did the video feel weirdly shot to anyone else? Odd cuts, awkward log jams kept... like, Disney, this is supose to be your best foot forward, right?)

NateD1226

I also have something to say about the ride, but I'll copy my thoughts from the spoiler thread:

You know, I woke up this morning and logged in over here to see what all the fuss was about. Again, it was the typical complaints, and I was ready to defend the ride...but after watching that POV, nevermind lol. Maybe I need to see it without the cuts, and maybe I just need to ride it in person. However, that video is a bit disappointing.

The Imagineers threw the basic fundamentals of storytelling out the window when it came to creating the ride's plot. Do they all need to take a creative writing class? One of the biggest rules in telling a story, especially a short story, is that there needs to be ACTION. Having the AAs just stand there and say a few words does nothing to pull the guests into the story, which leads to absolutely no tension when it comes the lift hill. Are they afraid of telling a story that has any danger in it? I mean the actual movie has an amazing amount of tension in its final act. Where did that go here? Oh, and the screens...I was a bit upset when I saw it the first time, but I thought the POV would change my mind. Well, it did not lol. When it comes to screens in general, I hate when they use it just because the tech is available. For instance, do we really need a screen of Mama Odie before shrinking? Why couldn't it have been an AA?

Now, this does not mean I suddenly side with all the Splash Mountain truthers, as some of y'all still need to come back down to reality at times. However, I definitely see your complaints now, and it kinda sucks how such a kinetic ride is now full of nothingness.

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
I am going to give my own thoughts on the attraction. First with the things that I liked.

• The blend of physical sets and screens. I like how the screens are shown to make the sets seem bigger.
  • The animatronics. No screen faces are always a plus.
  • The finale scene.
Now with the things that I didn’t like.
  • No story. This one doesn’t really bother me as much as everyone else but still.
  • The fact that the screens of the characters are in 3D and not 2D is sad but anyway.
  • No Dr. Facilier. All it needed was his ghost coming back as the climax.
I have a feeling that they are going to close the ride to fix the issues which if that is something that they are going to do, I applaud them on that. The ride is probably going to be a 50/50 ride when it comes to feedback.

Overall the ride DOSEN’T look bad. Could the ride look better, yes. Will it be better than Splash Mountain, Hell No. I am probably going to like the ride but I don’t know.

Last edited:

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
Overall, I'd say the ride isn't bad, per se, but it is a noticable downgrade from Splash. I like that it's trying to be it's own thing instead just a book-report and there are some scenes that are I really like (that final scene is so, so good), but as a whole, it's just kind of... eh. Not the worse case scenario, but sure as hell not the best.

The AAs are in a weird spot for me because while the main ones are good, the animal band members are... noticably cheaper. And even then, there's still less overall AAs than Splash had, so there's noticable gaps just nothingness. What really gets me about this is that they chose this IP presumably because it would be a relatively easy change-over, but then they didn't even bother trying to work the AAs in and instead just took them out. Like, they went out of their way to create this problem.

To be honestly, the story, on paper, is fine. Yeah, it's a bit toothless, but there have been perfectly good rides with silmarly toothless stories (hello, Small World), plus, again, at least it's trying to be it's own thing and not just a book-report ride. So I'm fine with the story... in theory. The problem is that the story does not fit a log flume ride. This is a ride system that thrives on the thrill factor, so why the story so low tension? The fact that Disney had to constantly deemphasize the final drop (you know, the main selling point of log flumes) in both the ride's design and the marketing should have been a sign to everyone involved that they were doing something wrong.

(Also, did the video feel weirdly shot to anyone else? Odd cuts, awkward log jams kept... like, Disney, this is supose to be your best foot forward, right?)
I don’t think it’s a small world has a story.

cdunlap

IMHO, Orange Bird is a sacred animal of Tonatiuh, the Aztec Sun god, and the Nahualli (spirit animal/double) of the state of Florida and Walt Disney World!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

I also have something to say about the ride, but I'll copy my thoughts from the spoiler thread:

You know, I woke up this morning and logged in over here to see what all the fuss was about. Again, it was the typical complaints, and I was ready to defend the ride...but after watching that POV, nevermind lol. Maybe I need to see it without the cuts, and maybe I just need to ride it in person. However, that video is a bit disappointing.

The Imagineers threw the basic fundamentals of storytelling out the window when it came to creating the ride's plot. Do they all need to take a creative writing class? One of the biggest rules in telling a story, especially a short story, is that there needs to be ACTION. Having the AAs just stand there and say a few words does nothing to pull the guests into the story, which leads to absolutely no tension when it comes the lift hill. Are they afraid of telling a story that has any danger in it? I mean the actual movie has an amazing amount of tension in its final act. Where did that go here? Oh, and the screens...I was a bit upset when I saw it the first time, but I thought the POV would change my mind. Well, it did not lol. When it comes to screens in general, I hate when they use it just because the tech is available. For instance, do we really need a screen of Mama Odie before shrinking? Why couldn't it have been an AA?

Now, this does not mean I suddenly side with all the Splash Mountain truthers, as some of y'all still need to come back down to reality at times. However, I definitely see your complaints now, and it kinda sucks how such a kinetic ride is now full of nothingness.
Without spoiling anything, I can say that the ride looks WAY better in person and really was a great time! There's not a strong story, but it's more vibe based as a fun ride down the river with great music. Sorta like Mission Breakout or Cosmic Rewind where it's more of a big party now with thrill used to add to the fun rather than to add tension. People were getting into it and practically dancing in the boats. The sceens are not too distracting and blend really well. Even the empty spaces feel alive with fireflies and little touches that don't come across in video as well and it's never long until something new and cool is revealed

Some minor nitpick
Tiana needs to stop talking sometimes. Almost nothing she says after the first lift hill until after we're shrunk adds to anything and usually just distracts from the music. If they don't have much for her to say, she should've just been singing along.

The final lift hill is pretty underwhelming, but hopefully that will be fixed because the main effect for it was broken when i rode and not really ready in the video either. Either fix it or replace it

there is one spot where we go a bit too long without there being any figures early on. They have some extra fireflies and stuff for it, but that bit goes on one beat too long for there to not be something more there. I'm assuming it's because Disneyland moves faster and it was designed for the west coast first.

Also, the Mama Odie before you drop into the laughing place. She shouldve been a figure or if shes going to be a screen then they shouldve gone all in and used the screens for bigger effects and magic stuff. All the other screens worked well, blended in nicely, and were used for stuff figures couldnt do well (and there was a ton of figures too so they didnt feel lazy). But that specific screen feels more like a B Mode for a missing animatronic than a planned effect.

Overall though really loved it and it doesn't feel empty at all in person. Really a fantastic ride and one of Disney's best in years. Ignore the ride through and ride it in person because I genuinely think it's a worthy successor to Splash and possibly even better (though nostalgia makes that hard to say lol)

cdunlap

"Don't let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity. It's your place in the world; it's your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.”- Mae Jemison
IMG_3931.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom