News Circle of Life at The Land Pavilion permanently closing in early February 2018

HMF

yeah, but if they kept it educational it would eventually become sad and dated again. Better to try something new and have permanent good attractions then a mix of good, bad, boring, and dated attractions.
I disagree. It would require lots of investment but Epcot could be restored to something great if the right people were in charge. Sadly the right people are not in charge.

TwilightZone

I disagree. It would require lots of investment but Epcot could be restored to something great if the right people were in charge. Sadly the right people are not in charge.
I don't know if epcot was great to begin with. It always seemed to be a mix of good, bad, boring, and dated even with the right management. It in popular culture is the mockingstock of disney.

HMF

I don't know if epcot was great to begin with. It always seemed to be a mix of good, bad, boring, and dated even with the right management. It in popular culture is the mockingstock of disney.
DCA 2001 was the mockingstock of Disney. There is still one truly great thing left at Epcot but it looks like that will be gone soon too.

Epcot82Guy

I'm looking forward to seeing it when I'm there in a few weeks - though it's LONG past it's prime. This is one where I always thought the DisneyNature series would be a wonderful opportunity (well, besides my dream of an animated Kitchen Kabaret returning - but I digress). If they could open up the lobby space with some type of open artwork, add some small interactive displays into the lobby space, etc., this could be a wonderful way to look at the various major habitats of the world. Add cute DisneyNature plush, and you're set.

I could even see this being more like the Tree of Life Awakening. Have a few cuts with different areas to give some type of re-viewing capability.

OK - Back to my stages of grief for Epcot and my future WDW vacations.

yensidtlaw1969

It's terrible. I just spent a week and actually felt really sad re: EPCOT. In a way Future World felt like I was walking through the remains of the 1964 World's Fair. Old original buildings meant to be something totally different than what it is today. Communicore East and West are nothing more than character meets, dead space, a silly Coke themed stand and shopping. No more innovation. Barely a reason to stop anywhere. The Land's Living With The Land is still interesting and could use a refresh (still a favorite), but The Living Seas looks sparse and ignored, Imagination is woefully dated (poor Robin Williams) and really LACKING Imagination, Wonders Of Life...I guess it's no longer a wonder? Horizons...none more to explore. EPCOT looks totally geared for their festivals (flowers, Food/Wine) and eating. A giant park from the mind of Walt Disney turned into one big outdoor food court. Billions in revenue...where is it going? This is a place that should make people want to return and it's totally lacking innovation. Imagine visiting EPCOT for the first time, you'd go on Spaceship Earth or walk around the post-ride areas and wonder what year it is. I was there in 1982-83 and was wowed by the creativity and technological forward thinking. Today it's like a museum, or a place that just doesn't know what it wants to be beyond an annex for the Magic Kingdom.
Growing up I used to make little trips over to the old World’s Fair grounds. Despite the desolation, in a way they “took me back” to Epcot. On a recent trip to Epcot I felt taken back to those trips to the disused World’s Fair grounds. It hurt to feel that key turn.

HMF

To be fair the original idea of EPCOT, big Corporations sponsoring all pavilions with ad's in your face constantly, would be hugely controversial now day's..
Then how come modern Sports Stadiums which sell every available surface they can use and even name themselves after corporations are not controversial? I am no corporate apologist (Far from it actually) nor do I believe Epcot necessarily needs sponsership but Epcot was nowhere near as in your face corporate as modern sports stadiums.

Movielover

The Sunset Showcase next to RnRC isn't really a theatre as it has a flat floor and no permanent seating. Look at photos of the villains event where tables and chairs are used. Therefore its perfect for those sort of drink/dance/show events, but less good for performing arts.

The cheer-leading is moving to Wide World of Sports and a new purpose built arena is under construction (should be almost completed I think).

Sorry for this being a delayed response but that building is what's known as a "flex space" meaning the layout of the floor can be change to accept any set up that is needed. It is also known as a "black box". Its a large closed off adaptable theater space with all the necessary theatrical components like lights and sound installations that are needed. With the use of risers and curtains/walls you can form multiple different live performance stages from a complete theater in the round where audience surrounds the actors on all 4 sides, or a thrust setup or even a traverse or false proscenium. These could also easily be adapted to show screen based shows. I would expect Disney to add a couple more of these flex spaces in the resort, they are quite useful.

1515583070952.png

1515583243241.png

Jon81uk

Sorry for this being a delayed response but that building is what's known as a "flex space" meaning the layout of the floor can be change to accept any set up that is needed. It is also known as a "black box". Its a large closed off adaptable theater space with all the necessary theatrical components like lights and sound installations that are needed. With the use of risers and curtains/walls you can form multiple different live performance stages from a complete theater in the round where audience surrounds the actors on all 4 sides, or a thrust setup or even a traverse or false proscenium. These could also easily be adapted to show screen based shows. I would expect Disney to add a couple more of these flex spaces in the resort, they are quite useful.

View attachment 255522

View attachment 255523

Yes, but to our knowledge there isn't any seating in the Sunset Showcase as in your pictures. Therefore Disney may have felt that the better option is to use the exisiting theatre that has raked seating rather than purchasing retractable seating for the Sunset Showcase.

Movielover

Yes, but to our knowledge there isn't any seating in the Sunset Showcase as in your pictures. Therefore Disney may have felt that the better option is to use the exisiting theatre that has raked seating rather than purchasing retractable seating for the Sunset Showcase.

Just because we havn't seen the seating doesn't mean that they don't have the equipment on hand. Anyways my point was that it can be used as a full theatrical performance space, however I do think they are better off building exact purpose theaters for main attractions. This type of flex space could be a great way to incorperate the Jedi Training Academy into SW:GE, out of the way and out of sight to keep up with the immersion.

stuart

Sad to see this go, more than anything for the pre-show video. I assume its stock music but I loved the music in it - Shazam never really found it - but would be amazing to know what music it was. Some of the of those kids whose comments appear in the video must have taken their kids to see that show now.

It was dated, yes, but i always liked the show for reasons could never really explain, whether it was the footage or the damn comment (the listen up I cringe at for being cheesy) but it was just a well put together film for what it was.

TwilightZone

Then how come modern Sports Stadiums which sell every available surface they can use and even name themselves after corporations are not controversial? I am no corporate apologist (Far from it actually) nor do I believe Epcot necessarily needs sponsership but Epcot was nowhere near as in your face corporate as modern sports stadiums.
I guess the difference is that sports stadiums have been doing it forever. And also there has been an instance I can think of where a company became controversial because of a sports commercial, so double edged sword there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom