Christmas and New Year 2013 capacity phased closings and wait times

ParentsOf4

I remember when Rooms cost a good amount less. But here is where It starting to go out of my budget. I was fine with Higher than most park admission prices... it is how much the cost of Food and drinks have gone up in just the past 2 years that is pricing me out. It used to cost $2.19 for a soft drink. Now it is at $3.
Back in the 1970s and 1980s, a Garden Wing room at the Contemporary was under $50/night for most of the year. Prices were as low as $22/night in the 1970s!

Not surprisingly, WDW resorts ran at nearly 100% occupancy year-round.

I recall my sister and her husband heading to WDW in September because it was the only time of the year they could get a room in the Contemporary and they really wanted to stay onsite.

But I was a poor struggling student and even 4 of us twenty-somethings chipping in together couldn't afford those prices. It was camping in a tent for us so we could afford our $35 3-day hopper tickets. (Less than $85 in today's prices.)

Things seemed more balanced in the 1990s. Prices were up but service & maintenance were excellent. The food quality was on the way up too. On every trip, it felt like there was something new to see.

For this Christmas, a Garden Wing room at the Contemporary was $620/night. :(

maxime29

Premium Member
The only time we are ever able to visit WDW is during the Christmas season (due to family members that work in education and other jobs). That being said, we have never visited a theme park on NYE. We always spent the day in DTD.

surfsupdon

I'd be interested to read how long the post-midnight exit/commute to take (from countdown/ball drop end to the time you get back to your onsite/off-site room) at the MK/Epcot? vs. DHS/DAK? Assuming most will stay until after midnight, I'd expect it to be a zoo with everyone leaving the parks at the same time.
Would love to see some pics of the post-midnight exits/commutes.

This is why it is a necessity to stay at Yacht/ Beach Club, BoardWalk, Swan or Dolphin. That way it is a simple walk home.

MissM

When they are $6.99 at Universal...
Oh really? Interesting. I haven't been over to Uni since BttF closed so I didn't have a frame of reference for their food pricing. Been wanting to get back over there (check out HP) but 1 day tix are annoying expensive compared to seasonal passes for FL residents. Just not sure I need THREE AP's for theme parks. (I have BG & WDW already) LOL

Bryansworld

No matter what.. when the parks are filled to capacity lines are going to be LONG. But it is the perception of the wait that matters. Rides with Fastpass.. the stand-by crawls. Which makes it feel even longer. Rides (currently) without FP that dont need it like Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion constantly move... so the wait doesnt FEEL as long.

BuddyThomas

I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone in their right mind would willingly go to WDW today or during this past Christmas week. How is waiting in a 2, 3, or 4 hour line fun? How is being crushed in wall to wall masses of humanity magical? The pictures look like the whole thing is a walk through hell, and I'd personally rather go swimming in a river of snot before I pay premium prices to experience this mob scene.

Millies

Haven't seen much for Studios. Crowded but not overwhelming. Here's half way through the initial fast pass line for Star Tours. Stretches back towards Oasis.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 167

dreamfinder

On a side note, could that be additional equipment to help with wifi speed due to park capacity?

Ehh, usually not. Even though a WiFi access point network may all use the same SSID, they all actually end up competing with each other. Modern networks are smart enough to dial back their strength so an not to overlap with each other. But each one still has a user limit. You eventually reach a diminishing point of returns. Say an AP allows for 20 people. Well, to cover 100 people in a 20x20 radius (definitely possible for today) you need 5 access points, so you need to stick an access point every 5 feet or so. Not really practical at all. You can't pile them on top of each other and hope to get a bigger signal for everyone to use. (My apologize for any other techies for my overly meh explanation)

Frank Rizzo

In fact yesterday the fast pass line was stretching around there, cannot imagine it today. Epcot was pretty bad and thereports and wait times from MK are just insane. SM was 20 minutes last night around 11, and its around 2.5 hours now I believe.

Jamie B

A few years ago I had two friends take their families down to WDW during the week between Christmas and New Year's. The first said it was the worst experience of his life. He hated the crowds and said you only went where the crowd was moving. He said that he wouldn't go back if someone gave him a free vacation AND paid him to go. The second loved it. Said seeing all the people was fun, even exhilarating. Didn't mind that she only got to go on a few rides and loved ringing in the new year with the MK fireworks.

There are two sides to every coin. I know at least one person who would love to be there. As for me, well, if it's ok with you, I'll paraphrase Bono here - "Tonight thank God it's them instead of MEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom