News Christine McCarthy to step down from her role as Chief Financial Officer

BlakeW39

I think it exists…but is amplified immensely by the far fringes trying to “win it”…

10% on either side…maximum

it's just political polarization. the term 'culture war' is a BS narrative peddled by figureheads.

no doubt political tensions are high. but I'd bet a lot of money it doesn't stem from warring 'cultures.'

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Americans have been waging war on culture for hundreds of years!!
Exhibit A:
1687327664090.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
it's just political polarization. the term 'culture war' is a BS narrative peddled by figureheads.

no doubt political tensions are high. but I'd bet a lot of money it doesn't stem from warring 'cultures.'
That’s just semantics…for profit motive as usual…

The net effect is the same no matter what we call it.

Very fractured/charged

People treat every comment like a football game now…
…which 33 states have been angling towards since the AFL/NFL merger

BlakeW39

That’s just semantics...

that fair, but I think the term culture war is misleading from the get go and is overly sensationalistic. America is politically divided, that much has been statistically proven. But it's less a war between cultures and more typical political polarization that has its roots way deeper than the last 10–15 years.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

hahah... I got flack for TLM too. Doesn't change the fact that I'll be here chuckling to myself when it doesn't make nearly as much money as folks seem to think it will. 😎
Why, precisely, would the failure of The Marvels make you chuckle? Ms Marvel was fantastic and Iman Vellani is the most charismatic actor the MCU has had since Robert Downey Jr. It may well underperform, but I'm not sure why that would bring any well adjusted person joy.

And the culture war is "real" to the extent that it is having a real impact on many individuals and institutions. There has been a very significant shift in the nation's political rhetoric since about 2012. You're quite correct that, to fully understand what is happening, one needs to have a firm grasp on American history, but I suspect the lessons you and I draw from that history might be quite different.

Last edited:

the_rich

Why, precisely, would the failure of The Marvels make you chuckle? Ms Marvel was fantastic and Iman Vellani is the most charismatic actor the MCU has had since Robert Downey Jr. It may well underperform, but I'm not sure why that would bring any well adjusted person joy.

And the culture war is "real" to the extent that it is having a real impact on many individuals and institutions. There has been a very significant shift in the nation's political rhetoric since about 2012. You're quite correct that, to fully understand what is happening, one needs to have a firm grasp on American history, but I suspect the lessons you and I draw from that history might be quite different.
First one made a billion and this one has some of the highest awareness and interest while still being months away. It'll be a hit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I liked ms marvel too…

…I’m more concerned that MCU/Disney/whoever believed it’s gonna
Drive a Tentpole?

My concern on all these rapidly multiplying movie threads is that our Angel Disney has gotten to the point where they can’t judge box office success while at the same time taking almost zero risks.

It’s really the worst case scenario of the “ip strategy” and has been building for years…

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Why not buy Disney stock? Disney has been diligently promoting the correct messages in their products. They have been teaching DEI very well
We don’t need Disney to teach, they are an entertainment company. Therein lies the negative perception towards them for some people.

Also glad you’re not my stock broker. Regardless of individual beliefs, I wouldn’t buy stock because someone is “promoting the correct message in their products”…Bud Light and Target shareholders say hello

Casper Gutman

I liked ms marvel too…

…I’m more concerned that MCU/Disney/whoever believed it’s gonna
Drive a Tentpole?

My concern on all these rapidly multiplying movie threads is that our Angel Disney has gotten to the point where they can’t judge box office success while at the same time taking almost zero risks.

It’s really the worst case scenario of the “ip strategy” and has been building for years…
No one in Hollywood can judge box office risk right now. No one knows what's going on, and thus every studio is playing it safe. What studios are taking artistic risks?

the_rich

Have you seen the trailer?

They go out of their way to make it look like anything but a captain marvel sequel. It looks like a bad take on ghostbusters

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it’s on a more serious tone…because I do like captain marvel
I have and I've also read spoilers from test screenings and I'm convinced it's going to be good

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have and I've also read spoilers from test screenings and I'm convinced it's going to be good
Well they need it to be. I don’t think the audience is in to filing into theaters for Disney as they once were.

It needs to be very good…like GOTG3…or it’s not gonna cover budget and costs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom